Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Alloying Bullet Metal (Read 10446 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Alloying Bullet Metal
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:33am
Print Post  
When I clean lead or start with dirty lead I use The charcoal that you can get at the pet store for fish filters. Pour it on top let it sit for about a half hour to get all the moisture out then stir in. It pulls all kinds of crap out. Then just scrape it off the sides and top.

40 Rod

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 6:51am
Print Post  

That is all good information and explains what the process is.  I have a bunch of lead I've been collecting from various sources that needs to be remelted and cleaned up for further alloying.

I'll need to get the charcoal first and the fish department of the Big Box store (they do have a seafood section in the grocery department), but the pet dept. will have the charcoal as Rod mentions.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 7:00am
Print Post  
If doing a lot get one of the big plumbers pots. Can be rented.  While I don't alloy for bullets we do get couple of guys together and work up scrap lead for fishing sinkers.  Deep trolling sinkers are a pound each.  Lot of volume pot capacity helps considerably

Boats

IP Logged

Bibbyman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
I've cast bullets for over 45 years.  Started with pure lead round balls in Remington cap-n-ball reproduction pistol.  Cast a ton of pistol bullets for handguns with whatever would go in the pot.

I shot long range silhouette handgun with 35 Remington in TC Super 14.  I cast 180 g bullets out of straight lineotype and loaded up pretty stout.  They made me stop using the load because it dented the rams at 200 yards. (Soft steel rams - not hard ones). 

Linotype is probably impossible to find any more as scrap. I still have 20 or so pounds.  We use to mix with pipe lead to make it hard enough for handgun loads.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I agree with using something like charcoal to reduce oxidation and clean up scrap lead when alloying.  I use scrap lead for some bullets (mark the ingots to keep them separate from known alloy).  I have a plumbers furnace and a pot that holds about 70 lbs.  I throw the dirty scrap in, melt it, and skim off the big chunks of debris.  Then, throw a few handfulls of sawdust on top, let it smoke off to charcoal, then stir it in and scrape the sides of the pot and the bottom to get the impurities to float up.  Skim again, and then ladle out into ingot molds.

I then check the hardness, and decide how much tin to add.  To get a uniform mix, I start with about 200 pounds in ingots.  Since that is 3 lots of scrap, I pile the 3 lots separately, and take one ingot from each pile at a time so that I end up with a uniform mix.  Add the tin, and flux, stir and skim.  Then, ladle out into ingots again.  When i get done I have a couple of hundred pounds of alloy that is uniform.  I shoot out the whole lot before doing another batch.  If I have a few odd lot bars left, I put them in with the next batch of alloy, again putting in a uniform # per each batch to keep the final alloy the same.  I use a stamp and stamp each ingot with an "S" for scrap.  Alloy that I know what it is I stamp "20" or similar # for the lead/tin ratio.

dave

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 10:55am
Print Post  
That's a good system. lots less than 50 lbs it's not worth the trouble. Get a plumbers pot working it makes the job worthwhile. Sinkers we get a couple guys together and run off pot fulls all day. End of the day have a lot of acceptable lead.

Amazing what comes off scrap lead, Small lots small pots I don't see how you could do the job right.

Boats

IP Logged

Bibbyman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I just checked Midway USA and 2/6/92 lead is about $4.15/lb in 6 lb bars not including shipping and tax.   Probably would pay to shop around and buy in larger quantities.   

By brother-in-law once worked at a machine shop that for some reason made lead hammers.  I remember seeing 75 lb ingots stacked up like firewood beside the side door.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Bibbyman Rotometals has the same alloy for 3.10lb and the shipping is free with orders of 99.00 or more.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bibbyman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Missouri has the largest lead deposits in the world.  You'd think it'd be everywhere. 

I just checked the Missouri Bullet company web site and they have 66lb ingots for $132.62 or $2.07/lb. Not including shipping.  But they have big notice that they are running 5-6 weeks behind.   Continues by saying they are hiring more people and running second shift and looking at expanding.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There was an article in our local paper about USGS making soil surveys in the lead mining are to determine lead contamination levels. They are assessing impact on song birds. They intend to find and fine the offending parties with moneys going to song bird habitat.   Our "spotted owl"?

I can remember back in the Carter era they tried to outlaw lead. 

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Just checked their site and their alloy is 6% antimony 2% tin and 92% lead. That is hard alloy for pistol bullets. I doubt many of the Schuetzen shooters would consider an antimony alloy.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
They find there ways to get what the want. We can't use any bullets containing lead in our coastal mountain range as they? determined it was detrimental to the California condor. The ranchers in this area are infested with ground squirrels and so they can't use a 22 rim fire to keep them clear of their houses and out buildings let alone the surrounding property. It won't be long before they do the same for the Sierras as well. In other words outlawed all together for hunting purposes.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I've never bought lead new, I've scrounged it since '82 when I shot muzzle loaders. A friend in the club worked for the phone company. They were pulling up all their wire (in lead pipe) and replaced it in those years and he supplied everyone in the club with free lead. Excellent stuff!

Check your metal yards,

Window sash pieces (like for stained glass windows) are excellent!

Lead wire (what I'm using now), bought at our local metal yard, excellent!

Lead sheet, same, it just has to be cleaned

lead pipe, same as sheet

I've also had excellent luck with plumbers lead ingots but, I bought mine more that 15 years ago. I've heard of people not liking it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bibbyman
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I'd say I'm pretty well fixed for life with the lead, bullets and loaded ammo.  But I still pick up a wheel weight when I see one. 

Besides other sources, many years ago my brother-in-law and I got to the gun club at the crack of dawn and mined out a tub and several buckets of range lead. (Right or wrong we had put a lot of that lead there and returned a lot that we took home.)  Anyway, we smelled it all down in a big pot outside and cast it into ingots.  I still have a couple hundred pounds of that haul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint