Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic sloppy bullet boxs (Read 2693 times)
happyone

sloppy bullet boxs
Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Does the way our cast bullets fit the standard cases bother anybody bedsides me .I was thanking bout making some out of wood .they would be custom drilled to fit bullets.150are so per box .that is 150 bullets in each box.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:19pm by happyone »  

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Re: sloppy bullet boxs
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
It would be a nice item, BUT the sap and oils in the wood will react with the lead and bullet lube so the bullets should not be store in them for a long period of time such as over the winter.

IP Logged

happyone

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Stain and seal the wood ?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I have been using the styrofoam boxes for 13 years and find them hard to beat. I also have some for sale at 6.00 for 10 + shipping. They are for 38 cal. thus a good fit for 32's. The plastic MTM boxes get to hot for the lube out my way and a wood box could possibly damage the bullets in transit?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I've been using the plastic or foam inserts that come in pistol ammo boxes.   I pick them up out of the trash on the pistol range side of the gun range at my local conservation club 357m/38 sp ammo blocks work well.  I fit them into shallow cigar boxes for storage.  The plastic inserts wear bette than the foam ones.
  Wood looks really cool but between the porosity of the wood and lube on the bullets it could get to be messy
remember that lubed bullets can be greasy and getting them out of a container that is too tight could be a problem.  hot weather would make them slippery to grip and handle.cold weather might make the excess lube gummy.   
  I prefer an over size cavity to seat them in so they do not fit too snugly.  I have enough problems trying to shoot without making more work having to wrangle my bullets too

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I use these. Cheap and they work great.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
They have various sizes. Will need to try a smaller one when I start casting 25cal.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
This is my 30 cal. bullet block, I also have a 32 cal. It's 4.5" square and has 11 holes so I can seperate the bullets into groups of five, if I want. The spacing is .400 (two turns on a Bridgeport feed screw). the depth is also .400. Give your bullet about .008 - .010 clearace. I made them out of 2 scrape pieces of  Mahogany in about 1990. If they get dirt on them, you can wash them and they never wear out.

Mine are blind holes made with a end mill but, you can drill through and screw it to a base plate, also. They take a while to make but, will last forever.

I used Styrofoam pistol boxs before that. Yes they are free at pistol ranges but, I really didn't like them. For extra bullets now, I use the plastic pistol boxs that have lids.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint