Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic bullet lube grooves ??????? (Read 3237 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

bullet lube grooves ???????
Jul 22nd, 2013 at 11:46am
Print Post  
as a secondary question to my question about bullet selection; what about grease/lube grooves? 
  There appear to be 3 styles, square cut, round, and beveled. (plus the mini-groove "tumble lube" style)
  It seemeth to me that given equal lube carrying capacity there is not a lot of differences, except that the round or beveled ones might drop free of a mold easier and the square cut ones might retain their lube a little better in storage.  what else?  am I missing something?
  Some of the more recent mold designs (I am thinking of some of the B&D molds specifically) feature a LOT less lube carrying capacity than "traditional" designs.  
I'm wondering about that too?  Tre the multi-groove high-lube capacity bullets a carry over from the BP and transitional smokeless powder days.  Is the old "what was good enough for HarryP" thing still influencing mold design?
I know that both Jim and Barry were shooting their bullets at significantly higher velocities that we normally associate with our plain-based cast bullet loads, without leading as far as I know, and with exemplary results, both at the range in matches and at the experimental bench. 
I know some other top shooters are also using B&D bullets and when they shoot it sounds like they are also using higher velocities----I don't know if they are the reduced lube designs or not.

Is it modern bullet design, and/or,  more efficient updated lubes that are making this work?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Goatwhiskers

Re: bullet lube grooves ???????
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I know a fella over on the castboolits forum that is a distributor for loob grooves, several different styles and sizes.  GW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the h*** happened.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 1:08am
Print Post  
If your particular lube works quite well, fewer or shallower grooves might be used. If your lube is marginal, more grooves might be necessary.

I ran across this note which I believe I obtained from some info provided by Corbin...
"Grease grooves that have a radius at their bottom will collapse, and may cause a shortening of the overall length with reduction of ballistic coefficient. Grooves that are square will tend to expand outward, possibly forcing lubrication to the barrel’s bore surface."

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 7:11am
Print Post  
So many interacting dynamics are going on in those few microseconds between  primer ignition and the instant the bullet exits the bore.  seems like we really don't KNOW a heck of a lot more than HarryP et al did in their day. (sigh)
Of course if the military was still using plain-based lead bullets, a huge number of our tax dollars would have it all analyzed and computer modeled to a fare-the-well.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 9:08am
Print Post  
A lot of the answer depends on where you are. Hotter dryer climates demand more lube. D.W. for you I would use 3 or 4 Grooves about .015 deep with on a radius of about .040 let them be as wide as they are. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 11:48am
Print Post  
DW don't cut yourself short, I have struggled on those real hot days and I have never found to much lube to be detrimental. Unlike most my 32-40 barrel requires plenty of lube.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint