Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bullet selection (Read 10152 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet selection
Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I understand what DW is asking for, the one bullet mould that will provide the best performance and at the same time will also be very user friendly. I just don't think he will find it based on a long pointed bullet with an exceptionaly high BC and with a length that puts it at the ragged edge of stability. I was just going through my tests after narrowing it down to 2 out 6 bullets for group shooting. One a Jones spitzer and the other a flat nose, both weigh the same 195grs. and light by most people's standards as well as short. The other bullets were more typical of what is currently being used with extremely high BC's thus more weight and longer length. They were dropped early on due to a lack of consistency. Between the last two standing the Jones and the flat nose both cylindrical bullets 260 5 shot groups split evenly were shot and the flat nose proved to be the more consistent and user freindly, as it does not require small variations in the powder charge with the change in density altitude as does the Jones. I am not telling DW by no means what he should or shouldn't buy, that choice is his and his alone. I am just trying to point out based on my exsperiance and supporting test data that what is working for me might be something he might like to take into consideration in his search for that one bullet mould that might work? If it were me in that search, this is something I would like to hear about as you won't see the use and benefits of a short cylindracal flat nosed bullet being recommended all to often. I should also mention for comparison sake that my 5-5 shot 100yd. groups are now averaging 1/2 inch and under if I don't decide to wing one out there by either stupidity or a bad condition call from time to time.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:41pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
The barrel in question has a groove diameter of .3225" and a 16 inch twist.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
thank you Ken I really appreciate you checking that for me.   Smiley    That moves the discussion a step farther ahead

so now we know the groove diameter and the twist of that specific rifle. Matching bullet diameter to bore is not hard. But, assuming a bore-riding-nosed tapered projectile; what length/weight (in Woodie alloy)will stabilize at reasonable 4759 non-leading velocity loads

John,   you say "flat nosed"---I have a mental image of an old fashioned wad-cutter, or the old long-discontinued Lee-modern-minie bullet 
(which by the way shoots really well in my original percussion w/loads of 3F---and it makes such nice clean holes in the paper-none of them raggedy hard to see and score holes  Grin
Or are you talking about a rounded bore riding nose with a flat meplat Like AccurateMolds offers?
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:52pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
DW it tapers to the 200 thousandths flat point, not rounded to it and it does indeed cut an extremely clean hole, they look like someone used a paper punch. If you go and review the 100yd. 5 shot group records 40-rod just recently posted it was the bullet used for the single 5 shot, 5-5 shot average and 10-5 shot average  records. To date only the single 5 shot record has been surpassed. 

I hope this is helpful to you.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Kind of  like the truncated cone flat nose on a keith style pistol wadcutter, not bore riding, then,   correct?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 12:05am
Print Post  
DW not familiar with the Keith, it looks like the Lyman 321232 if that is helpful. There is no wiper band.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Hi John,

Is it like or close to this?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 9:37pm:
The barrel in question has a groove diameter of .3225" and a 16 inch twist.

DW, if these are your barrel dimensions,  found the Pope tapered bullet was the most accurate in at least four barrels fitting these dimensions.  Also found 20-1 the best alloy.  The Saeco 200 grain Pope style tapered bullet can be on the ragged edge of stability but is very very accurate. A 190 grain bullet may be a little better if you can find one. Hoch makes one, or at least they did. My lo wall 32-40 has the same barrels specs and shoots the Pope tapered 200 best with BP and smokeless. 

You could take the rifle to a match and bum bullets till you find one that you like. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Accurate Molds has  a tapered style one in his catalogue.  I've used them for a couple other custom molds with great satisfaction of quality and service. It's # 32-195D mentioned above.  it might be made might to work.  Tom allows to you to adjust the dimensions a little. I've written to him about it.  I think the base and last couple bands might need to be a mite fatter for my groove diameter---not sure yet about the bore--really need to make and measure a chamber throat cast before I go any farther.  And maybe the nose needs be given a bit of a bore riding segment with a tapered cone to the meplat.  I'm concerned also about the overall length and weight/twist ratios.

bumming bullets is also a possibility Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2013 at 8:38pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
That's it DW. with maybe the exception of some very minor deminsion differences, I didn't take that close of alook.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint