Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Old Ideal reloading tool. (Read 4286 times)
Bibbyman
Ex Member

Old Ideal reloading tool.
Jul 18th, 2013 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I was digging through my stash of stuff and came across something I didn't remember I had. I figured it was worth a cleanup with fine steel wool and apply some gun oil.   

It's marked IDEAL MFG co. New Haven  25-20 M. 

The brass sprue plat screw looks to be a replacement.  The bullet mold looks good and I'd guess it'd throw a bullet of about 100 grains. I suspect it's still usable.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Old Ideal reloading tool.
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Bibby,
You have a Ideal #6 loading tool in 25/20 WCF. Marlin didn't like putting Winchester on anything they made and they probably owned Ideal at the time your tool was made.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
I would guess that bullet is closer to 86 grains, but hard to tell from looking at the picture, just going by what the couple I have owned did.

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jul 18th, 2013 at 3:24pm:
Bibby,
You have a Ideal #6 loading tool in 25/20 WCF. Marlin didn't like putting Winchester on anything they made and they probably owned Ideal at the time your tool was made.

Frank

Close but not quite. He has a tool in .25-20 Marlin. The Marlin case was almost identical to the .25-20 WCF, but slightly longer. The .25-20 WCF can be reloaded in this tool, but a .25-20 Marlin can't be fitted in a WCF tool without trimming.
This is similar to the .25-36 Marlin and .25-35 Win. situation. In both cases Marlin came up with a cartridge, and then Win. came out with a shorter version so the Marlin cartridge would not fit their rifle, but theirs would fit both guns. This was Win. way of screwing with Marlin and making them drop a cartridge, and chamber for the Win. caliber. It worked every time too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:37am
Print Post  
John Barlow's patents of 1884 were the basis of the Ideal series of tools, the small caliber tool with the bullet sizer was the #4 tool, larger caliber/length tools of this type were #6 tools.  If marked 25-20, would be 25-20 singleshot, later mark added ss.  When the WCF cartridge was added they were marked WCF or 25-20R for repeater.  About 1910 Barlow died? and Marlin owned Ideal for about 10 years and marked the tools with their name.  Afterwards the Ideal company was reorganized under that name until absorbed by Lyman.  Ideal tools were numbered 1-10 with the possible exception of #9.  Lyman combined #3 and #10 to become the 310 tool.  Suggest Chamberlin and Quigley - Cartridge Reloading Tools of the Past.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Oops I left out the "third" 25-20 the M for the Marlin version.  Took me a while to sort all of this out but I do shoot/reload the singleshot and the WCF.
Jim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint