Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black powder Choices (Read 24507 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Black powder Choices
Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Might move out of My GOEX 2 F mindset  This fcor my 40/65 CPA, 440 gr bullet.  Dealer has the following options

The range of Goex including Cartridge and Express

Two new ones they are stocking are Schuetzen about the same price as Goex  & Swiss lot more expensive

Are Schuetzen and Swiss worth considering ?

Boats

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Re: Black powder Choices
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Most of the guys I shoot with are using 1 1/2 Swiss...., I can't afford it, so I'm doing best I can with Goex. Right now i'm shooting some of the Old Cartridge until it is gone.
I'd like to try the new Goex......."Olde Ensforde"

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Boats,

When I shot allot of BP matches, I loaded a duplex load and it shot extremely clean and accurate.

I used 4F as the duplex, about 5 to 10 grains will make Goex do you a fine job.
Of course lessen your 2F charge the amount of 4 F you use.

I would shoot a whole 50 shot match plus sighters and did not clean between relays even in low humidity days. Down to 35% rel hum.
It is worth a try.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Boats,

I wouldn't waste time nor money on the Schuetzen. It is a repackaging of German Wano. Wano is only used in Germany for Boller Scheutzen (Signal guns) and cannons. I have used exclusively Swiss when I lived over there and only resort to Goex now when nothig else is available.

Never tried duplexing two grades of black but have duplexed using 5744. In 45 caliber I normally uses 6grs of 5744 below the appropriate amount of BP. I determine what percentage the 6grs is of the full 5744 charge is and then reduce the BP by the same percentage. Seems to work for me and has served to allow 20 shot strings without wiping or blowing in normal humidities, Southern AZ is another story...

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Thanks that links up something I remembered about Schuetzen, not a particularly good powder.  So Swiss may be worth the extra money. Might lay in a can or so when I buy a supply of 2 F Goex

Duplex with 4 F is interesting, only thing is I am about committed to wiping between shots so clean burn is not a big issue.  Will keep that tip in my back pocket

Thanks all

Boats

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Boats, I believe all the guys using swiss are also wiping between shots, Me, I'm a blow tube guy.

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:48am
Print Post  
kik shoots very well for me in my 40/65 and 40/82 98% as well as swiss.  i use it for sil matches.  art

IP Logged

Strider
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Boats,  Wife is in Winchester this weekend.  Do you want me to ask her to pick up some Swiss for you?  If so, how much and what grain?  2F?

Have you already gone through the 5 lb. of Goex?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Thanks Strider  have about half the 5lbs of Goex left. Goex is my long time standard powder, mostly because it's always available.  Just thinking ahead. Will be passing Winchester Va on the way to Columbia Schuetzen match first Friday in August. Probably pick up some more Goex and a few cans of Swiss just to see.

I hear good things about KIK, no matter if I can't buy it.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I shoot mainly BP and have tried all the various powders. Swiss is more expensive but you remember the old adage "you get what you pay for". I have found that accuracy, velocity, and clean burning are all improved with the use of Swiss. If you are wanting to practice with a less expensive powder duplex with smokeless and save the Swiss for matches that require BP only. I believe that if I am going to travel to a match and compete that the small additional cost of using the best powder available is one of my smallest expenses. As a note, I use 3F for everything from 38-55 to my 45-90, it seems like most suggest 11/2F but my rifles prefer the finer granulation. If you decide to try Swiss you might want to purchase a can of each and then decide on what works best for you.

SSS

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
SSS agree powder is probably the cheapest part of the equation.   Unfortunately my choices are limited by availability and for that reason alone have always used Goex

I am going to try some Swiss and will take your advice on the granulation.  2 F is my normal, some say 1 1/2 F.  This 40/65 with the bullet seated out to engage the rifling will only hold 51 grs of Goex 2 F drop tubed.  Perhaps going to 3 F will get a bit more powder and velocity out of the load.  Bullet is a heavy one needs all the powder it can get.

Be a month or so before I can get a couple cans of Swiss let you guys know the results.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
My spotter shoots a 400gr Brooks bullet with 56gr of 2F Swiss and holds ~1.5moa at all distances in his High Wall with a 16" twist Badger barrel.
The other person I shoot the most with is using the 440gr Hoch bullet in his CPA with 59gr of Schuetzen. The rifle is new to him this year and he is still working out the load.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I have always used 2F (Swiss) in my guns up to an including the 50-90 with good results but after getting SPG's primer tried the 1.5F. Only difference I saw was slightly softer fouling but otherwise the same. As I recall though SPG's book recommends 2F for the 50-70 while 1.5F is recommended for the 45-70...

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Each rifle probably needs a very different solution.  NRA Lever Silhouette a few guys recommend 1 F for the 38/40  Makes no sense until you figure the rifles are real slow twist and the match requires 10 or even 15 shots with no wiping or blow tubes

I gave the 1 F a try and it worked pretty good. Lever silhouette does not require black. Even though it worked gave it up as no good reason to use black powder, compared to 4227

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I wouldn't waste time nor money on the Schuetzen. It is a repackaging of German Wano. Wano is only used in Germany for Boller Scheutzen (Signal guns) and cannons.
There are 3 brands of BP that the charcoal is made from Alder, the best wood for BP including the glucose in the branches which is the 'engine' for BP
* Schuetzen, straight Alder from subcontracted charcoal.  In 2009, their "sporting powder" sold as Wano in Europe & Schuetzen in the US was reformulated.  Velocity increase was 8 -10 percent better and fouling control improved also.
Wano doesn't make F grade which stands for sporting powder?  I beg to differ ...  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
* KIK, Alder Buckthorn - unknown in house or subcontracted
* Swiss, Alder Buckthron - in house ricked for 3 years and then in house produced charcoal with 65% creosote maintained
The other brands: Goex uses Yellow Maple and Diamondback uses bamboo for charcoal

Since I started shooting BPCR, I have shot every powder brand & grades on the market plus 1973 Meteor (it is Curtis's & Harvey's formulation) and old DuPont with lots ranging from the '50's to the 70's

OK, what is my Go To powder?  The March 2009 lot of KIK for velocity, fouling control while maintaining accuracy.  Here is the results of a 50 consecutive shot string using this powder ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
My 2nd favorite is Goex Cartridge for multiple caliber consistency even though I am not a fan of other Goex grades and their Express - 'hyped to be moist burning powder' - so much for PR and is also discontinued 

New kid on the block is Goex's Olde E' (Olde Eynsford) being tested by a handful of serious BPCR shooters including myself.  We haven't determined how Minden makes the powder but it is better than 100fps faster than Swiss and KIK, with varied results for fouling control by caliber.  My comparisons with several calibers has KIK still as my Go T0
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint