Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black powder Choices (Read 24526 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black powder Choices
Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Who said Wano does not make sporting grade powder? I said no one uses the stuff for anything but Boller in Germany, least not for serious shooting Cheesy

BTW: Note the photo Wano uses on the website is of reenactors, not precision shooters...
SS
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:56pm by SchwarzStock »  

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Did the math

1 round 40/65 440 gr bullet 50 grs black

13 Cents bullet
4  Primer
1  Lube
3  Wad and 2 cleaning patches
16 Cents Swiss

37 Cents,  if using Goex it drops to 34 Cents

One BPC Match 60 rounds 2 dollars and a half difference in cost.

Match cost me from 75 to couple of hundred dollars gas match fees meals and one club overnight stay.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
With swiss at 22.40 a lb and goex ffg at 14.90 a lb
that's a difference of 7.50 per pound more for the swiss.
that's a 50% increase from the price of goex.
so, it doesn't seem like much per shot....but when a guy buys a minimum of 25 lbs at a time....it adds up!
I would like to use swiss, but can't do it shooting 3 black powder rifles....I use 80 Grains of Cartridge in my #7 Ballard with Winchester Brass with a Buffalo Arms 520 Grain Money Bullet...
and my 1885 .45-90.....Well, this Black Powder shooting is expensive for me....but, I love it and will hopefully always do it....I've also got a safe full of smokeless caliber guns.....I hardly ever use...except a 1911 that I use for Action Pistol Competition.

Terry  Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Even at a nickel/shot difference and 3000rds/year, that is ~$150 between the cost of Swiss and Goex. While I'm cheap, I'll shoot what works the best. Lucky for me, I'm finding little difference between powders, in either mfgrs or grades. Maybe once I get to a perfect hold every shot................ Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I do like Goex Express FFg.  As far as shot to shot consistency it works as well as Cartridge did for me.  It is definitely more dense and gives higher velocities.  As an example I can fit 59gr of Express FFg into a .38-55 starline case ( filled to the mouth for breech seating ), although I'm only using 58gr now.  That gives me 1250fps with a 320gr bullet.   

In my Shiloh in .45-70 I use 69gr of Express FFg with the same amount of compression that I'd use on 66.5gr of Cartridge. 

Unfortunately my supply of Express in the FFg granulation has dried up but I was able to buy th remainder of Express FFFg and will see how that works soon.

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Trouble with all this is find something that works then you can't find it anymore

More important that absolute accuracy in BPCS is having the rifle shoot to your logged sight settings, little time for re-sighting rifle  match day it has to be consistent match to match.  Normal routine for me is to experiment dead of winter then lay in a years supply of chosen components 

This 40/65  .25 Krag CPA  is off cycle am going to have all loads worked out by Deer Season hunt with it a couple of times then send it off for stock finish and checkering.  Be ready for BPCS in the Spring.

Black powder I need has to work and available in reasonable quantity lots. Hopefully available the next year same brand and grade

Boats

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
My biggest concern is fouling control since my primary uses are for hunting and a little bit of target shooting. I don't like to wipe the bore nor blow through the barrel betwen shots and for that reason Swiss is my first choice. If you are going to wipe or blow after every shot any of the powders are probably good...

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I know what you are saying boats.  At some time I'll probably have to work up some loads with standard Goex FFg just to be sure I have something to fall back on.

Chris.

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 6:13am
Print Post  
I'm sold on Olde Ensford,i'm shooting the last of my 2f Express, KIK,the Old E will keep up with any Of them and better fouling control than Swiss even in High humidity West Central Illinois, Bill

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I have never seen high humidty to be a problem in BP fouling control. Wet fouling is good, however in the dry SouthWest fouling is s real problem as it dries out quickly...

Although I am sketical of anything new I would like to hear reports on how the Olde Ensford fairs in 0 humidity.

SS

SS

IP Logged

Leo1885

Reply #25 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I bought some Graf's 3f to try out in my 38-55 just because it's much cheaper than Swiss. It was a dismal failure when I tried to duplicate my Swiss recipe, but I'm finding that it works much better with zero compression and large pistol magnum primers. The bullet is BACO 377325. Once the Graf's is gone I'll be going back to Swiss.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I believe if you carefully examine the Graf's label you will find it is wano Embarrassed

I would suggest you not use pistol primers in cases cut for rifle primers. They tend to back out on firing since they are shorter than rifle primers and peen the breechface.

SS

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
boats - shot with Jay B. today at Quinton and he had a good outing. 32/40 in our all off-hand match with the 440gr Hoch bullet in front of 60gr of Schuetzen through his CPA. He cleaned the chickens at 50m and pigs at 100m, so definitely has it dialed for the short distances.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

podufa

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Did I read that right? 32-40 with 440 grain bullet?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Here's test I did in 2011 shooting 50 consecutive rounds ... 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
As for fouling control, one wet cotton ball & 3 dry with no patching or blow tubing for the 50 rounds -
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I also did a comparative this year between 2010 KIK (lot March 09) and the new Goex Olde E.  KIK foul was better but Olde E' was 100+ fps faster.  I have more work to do with Olde E' but KIK, lot March 09, is my Go To powder

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint