Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trying Paper Patch (Read 9973 times)
Strider
Ex Member

Trying Paper Patch
Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Still making progress of discovering what will shoot in my 40-70 Hepburn.  I started with .408 grease groove 410g bullets.  I had fire formed .405 Winchester brass and belled the case mouth to accept the  .408.  Problems began when I seated the bullets and tried to place them in the chamber.   No fit.  So I ran them through the sizer and pulled them back to the .422 neck size that my chamber would accept.  Turn out that case walls of .010 only leave .402 for a bullet diameter.  But, since I had 25 .408's and had been waiting 3 months for the first shots, it was off to the range.  Groups were about 4" at 100 yards with 54g of Goex FF.  Not a great group but felt great to be shooting. And it was back to the drawing boards.

Got on the internet.  Read books.  Talked with Boats.  Finally began to realize that original Hepburns barrels are different from modern mfg.  I have no throat - staight from chamber to rifling.  Chamber is smaller on original Sharps Straight as compared with Shiloh Sharps Straight.  Very difficult to find commercial grease groove bullets smaller than .408 and nothing at .402.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  

So I decided to try paper patch bullets.  More internet.  More books.  More conversations with Boats and others.  Net result is a batch of 50 .395 swaged pure lead 400g bullets.  .002 paper builds the total diameter to .403 and I can get that into my cases.  The wrapped bullets push into the mouth of the barrel, imprinting the pattern of the lands on the paper without tearing anything.

Next I need to experiment with grease cookies.  Never made any.  Heck, I've never done any of this but finding the challenge of it all a thrilling experience.  Every step is a new discovery and a new accompolishment.  

I've found a few grease cookie receipts, on the net, and will cook up something.  If any of you have suggestions, all will be welcome.  I am hoping to get to the range and see if I can keep a 2" - 2 1/2" group.  If not, then we simply figure out why.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Trying Paper Patch
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I haven't experimented much with different recipies for lube cookies as a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and olive oil has worked quite well for me.  It doesn't have to be very thick either, 0.125" is all that I use.

Are your bullets patched to bore diameter? 

Chris.

IP Logged

Strider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Chris,  Sounds like your cookie reciept is similar to others that keep it simjple but find that it works. Thanks.  and, yes - bore diameter.  I took one of the patched bullets and pushed it through the barrel from the chamber end.  Tight fit.  Had to push with the cleaning rod.  Paper was compressed against the lead but did not tare.  Should expand nicely into the grooves when loaded and shot.  Hope to get to the range tomorrow.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Strider that sounds like a perfect bullet fit.  I'll bet they shoot well.  I'm a big fan of lube cookies with paper patched bullets as they really seem to help seal the bore.  Recently I ran a few different wad combinations over the chronograph in a .45-110 and you can see significant velocity loss with some wad types.  I'm no expert but lube cookies, although a bit time consuming, seem to always work well for me.

Chris.

IP Logged

Strider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Chris,

Can you give me a few details on what you learned about wad material?  There are so many details that effect shooting consistancy.  So, your experience will be helpful.

Ken

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I just learned by reading what others had posted on the Shiloh, BPCR.net, and a few other forums.  I tried a few variations and pretty much use two techniques now.  Either a lube cookie between veg fiber wads, or a veg fiber and an LDPE wad.  There are many who've done a lot more than I have.  I've pretty much duplicated what others have tried and compared the results. 

The one thing I've been playing with a bit recently is breech seating paper patched bullets in my .38-55.    I've been seating an LDPE wad with the bullet, a short distance ahead of the case.  It seems to work pretty well.

Chris.

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
If you are looking for excellent target accuracy, try no
lube cookie.  I use 1/8" cork wad in place of the lube.
Since I wipe every shot, I do not need any lube in the case to soften the fouling.

Your bullet "fit" sounds right.  What alloy are you casting?  I used to cast 35:1 in my 40 caliber rifles, but I have standardized on 20:1 alloy.  They seem to shoot a little better in the 20:1.

54 grains of Goex FFg sounds a bit anemic for a 40-70 strait.  I shoot 69.5 grains of Swiss 1.5Fg and 74 grains of Goex express FFg.  You can experiment with more MV once you get a basic load working.   

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I use 50/50 beeswax/beef tallow poured in an old metal pie pan. Once it has cooled off a bit I put it between two layers of wax paper and then roll it to a consistant thickness using a roller and two pieces of a yardstick as guides. 

When ready to load, I charge the case, seat one thickness of milk carton wad (MKW). Then use the case mouth to cut a cookie from the rolled lubricant and then seat another MKW on that. The bullets 0.450 wrapped, are then seated in an unsized case and taper crimped in place.

I once tried loading without the top MKW but often the lube would stick to the base of the bullet opening up the groups, especially with hollow based PPBs.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on Jul 8th, 2013 at 12:04pm:

Once it has cooled off a bit I put it between two layers of wax paper and then roll it to a consistant thickness using a roller and two pieces of a yardstick as guides. 
SS

Cool!  GOOD TECHNIQUE!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Strider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Next step.  Question about compacting powder.  40-70 case.  70g BB.  30" drop tube.  Powder to about .25 from lip - varies by case.  Need room for .06 wad, .125 cookie, another .06 wad and then enough room to seat the bullet.  Bullet is 1.33.  So to get .33 seating I need total head space of .57.  Deeper seating will require more compression.  If I start with .25 after the drop tube, is .32 too much compression?  Yes I know that I could go to .03 wads but that would still leave .22 compresion.  Thus the question - "What is the reasonable max compression for 70g of BB?"  Now I know why high school math is important.  But they never explained it this way.  It would have been soooo much more interesting than two cars traveling, one at 25mph and the other at 30mph,  25 mph leaves 13 minutes early to travel 40 miles.  Who gets there first?

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Most of my paper patched loads use very little compression, but I know of some that use nearly 0.4".  I think that no one can tell you what will work best.  I'd start with a powder charge that gives you zero compression and then add powder 2gr at a time and see what works best.   

Chris.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Compression is driven by the burn qualities of the powder you are using. With Swiss I generally use no compression or at most 0.030". I have compressed junk powder like Schuetzen up to 0.300" trying to get more in the case and a good burn. It was compacted hard in the case almost like a pellet. Can't recommend it but it certainly can be done...

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Strider
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 7:14am
Print Post  
I have come to the conclusion that shooting modern firearms using commercially produced ammunition is way less complicagted and easier than shooting BPCR in cartridges that are no longer produced.  That being said, I have also come to the conclusion that I will probably never again be fully satisfied shooting modern firearms using comercially produced ammunition.  The process of learning to prepare loads for my .40-70 has been long, involved, detailed, challenging and satisfying.  Last night I completed my first 25 PP bullets and will be shooting them this weekend.  In one sense, I don't really care how well they shoot.  It is just that I will be shooting something that I assembled.  Accuracy and consistency will eventually develop but it will be something that will be a result of a complex process that I will control.  And, for me, that will be verry satisfying.  Yes, I realize that most of you have are sitting there thinking "Well yeah!  That's why we do it."  But give a Newbe credit for seeing the light.  And I will give you guys credit for showing the way.  But I also want to say that the internet and sites like ASSRA Forum have made it so much easier for a newcomer to get started.  The access to information and the support that has been provided has been extraordinary and appreciated.  I really don't know how some of you deciphered the mysteries pre-internet.

So, tomorrow I will take 25 massive 3.5" paper patched .40-70 bullets and slide them into the chamber of a rifle that was deisgned specifically for this cartirdge.  And then I will smile.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 8:38am
Print Post  
     "And then I'll smile".   That's really the point of it all.  Along with understanding how things work. Cheesy

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Strider - don't know if you have read this but Brent Danielson's 'treatise' is probably the best  ... 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And unfortunately, the search capability on Shiloh Forum is hosed for old threads, but Kenny Wasserburger detailed and has perfected PP reloads to the nth degree.  For the past 3 years he still holds the smallest group record at Raton for the Pedersoli 200yd Challenge

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint