Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) bullet pulling fears (Read 10966 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: bullet pulling fears
Reply #30 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I've used inertia puller for years, and had some stuck so tightly I needed to whack the puller on my anvil to get a good enough hit. Never ever had any discharges, and not sure how you could hit hard enough to damage a primer and get ignition? 
Most bullets are reloadable afterwards too, unlike my collet puller than ruins almost all cast bullets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #31 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Improperly annealed?  So what exactly do you consider to be 'wrong' with the anneal???  Overheated is certainly a problem and you now have scrap.
Under annealed?  Is this really possible (I suppose), or damaging??? Huh

By the way, I have used all three process mentioned.  With lead the press and dyke is the best for me.  For all others I use the inertia hammer with good success.

Cary
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2013 at 12:19pm by CaryT »  

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #32 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Best explanation I can find of the annealing we do.  Comments???

"Like most engineering terms, annealing is subject to interpretation depending on the processes being supported.

For example, when making brass musical instruments, considerable stretching and working of the metal is required. Working the metal causes the grains to align, which make the metal stronger and more brittle. Stronger in that it will take more force to deform it, and more brittle in that it is more likely to crack with further working.

With brass instruments, one anneals the metal to until it begins to glow, and then cooling it by whatever means works (brass cannot be heat-treated too make it stronger and the cooling method for this purpose doesn't matter). It's important to note that in this application, the brass is going to be burnished, rolled, hammered, or otherwise worked which will strengthen it after annealing. For brass that is not going to be further worked, annealing it to fully soft might ruin it for its intended application.

Thus, brass is annealed to soften it to allow further working without causing it to crack. Annealing as a process may be performed to relieve internal stresses, but stress relieving isn't the same thing as annealing. Annealing may also be the first step in heat treating metal to make it harder, but heat treatment is not the same thing as annealing. And,  heat-treating doesn't work for brass anyway--annealing destroys the grain structure that makes the metal stronger and quenching it does not restore that structure as it does, say, with steel."

My annealing consists of getting the brass at the mouth end of the case just to the point of a dull glow in a darkened room and holding it for a few seconds followed by an air cool.  I have lost some .17 Remington cases (radial separation at the shoulder) due to over annealing, but they were few.  Hard to remain consistent on this small a case, but on large cases, never lost one in many many firing.

Cary

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
MB,

If you did not overheat the brass, than it's OK.  It make no difference if the hot brass is dropped in water or air cooled.  For those of you interested in annealing you may be interested in the following article that I published some time ago and recently updated.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint