Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) At the range today (Read 13335 times)
BigOtto
Ex Member

Re: At the range today
Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Ok, custom might be a bit generous.  How about "bubba'd without a dremmel"? 
1884 Springfield action and lock
Barrel: GM Sharps Rifle #1 Heavy Rifle Barrel .458 1:18" twist
Stock: Hand whittled walnut, Goncalo Alves (jobillo) butt extension (yup, I cut it too short), Asian buffalo horn butt plate, pewter nose cap.
Sights and trigger from T/C Renegade
Trigger guard Track of the Wolf Hawken style.   
Metal finish: Duracoat.  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Nice looking rifle with an excellent barrel.

With those sights holding a 4" group was some pretty decent shooting at 100yd. If you want to get serious you will need a globe front sight (Lee Shaver sells a decent one for <$100) and Soule rear sight. I'm partial to the Hoke, but several other good ones (Shaver, MVA, Baldwin, etc.) out there. Expect to pay $300+ for one of them.

BTW - you can delete the double-post in the upper right-hand corner of your message.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Sorry, been out of the net for a few days, son contracted Lyme Disease in Kroatia. Been working to get the family back here for better treatment...

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

BigOtto
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
My first purpose for this rifle is to collect venison at 100 yards or less.  I think with some load and bullet refinement I should be able to shrink these group sizes a bit.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
You might want to consider using a Lyman mold known as the "gould express" about 330-340 gr. it has big enough lube grooves for black powder. for shooting big game animals it has worked very well for me. I ground the hollow point pin off to make a flatnose instead of hp. In my gun, (45/75 '76win) the 1rst shot is in the same group (2-1/2") as the last shot and I don't have to blow to soften fouling. plenty of penetration. just my .02
good luck with your project, 
kootne

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

CanoeRoller
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
You shot that group with hunting sights? That size group at 100 years means deer is for dinner.   

For Deer, the lyman  hollow point  457122 ( I think) is a good choice.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
BigOtto, I just reread one of your posts refering to using a 7/16" (.4375 nominal) to punch your wads (not big enough to fit the grooves) and that may lead to combustion forces being impinged on the corner of the base which would be unprotected but is the part that needs the most protection as the bullet exits the muzzle. besides it probably wouldn't center evenly or consistantly which don't help. google up Buffalo arms, I'm sure they have correct dia. wads, or call John Walters 405-799-0376. John King in Kila, Mt. also sells them but I have lost his phone #. or I'm sure Buffalo arms has punches to make your own.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint