Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Boats 40/65 (Read 3482 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Boats 40/65
Jun 12th, 2013 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Leaving the .25 Krag barrel alone for a while started loading for the 40/65. Fire formed 50 cases yesterday.  No Iron sights yet, put a MVA B5 scope on the rifle.  Found some bullet seating depths & base zeros 100 & 200 .

Not many new things here.  Pretty standard BPCR loading procedure. Main thing I have to work out is to lightly size expand and bell, with some neck tension. Or charge seat the wad compress lightly to depth I want the bullet to ride. Then load the bullet slip fit in the case no neck tension at all. It drops right in a fired case. Fairly tight in a F/L sized case, although I don't have to F/L size when re-loading the formed cases. 

Bullet is 440 grs and engages the first band nice. Plenty of resistance to black powder, don't need crimp to increase pressure like in smokeless powder less than full case loads.

Thing that concerns me about the slip fit is getting consistency. Am using a Walters .060 cork - like wad. It's real secure and running through a compression die, with little compression it's probably going to set the bullets engagement well with no neck tension

Not sized may be able to get a few more grains in the case.  If sized and neck tension I can use a thin wad and gain some case capacity that way. Flip of the coin on powder capacity either way.

Any opinions slip fit or sized necks ?

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Boats 40/65
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I only slip fit my .410 diameter Paul Jones bullets into my fired .40-60 Maynard cases. 

I take the rod out of the FL sizer and use it to flatten out the bell  so my cases will slide into the chamber.

For my .40-65 I use a Shiloh Sharps inline sizer which slip fits the same bullet into fired cases and only reduces the bell so that the neck ends up perfectly centered in my rifle chamber. Zero runout and perfect concentricity in the rifle chamber using unsized cases.

Improved concentricity and perfect chamber alignment will improve long range accuracy.

FL sized cases will drop at least .002" in the chamber and will not be pointed directly down the barrel. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Dave 

Meachum sells a straight line seater I have thought about.  Think it's the same one Shilo sells ? Might look at it more carefully.  I need consistent mid range performance - to 600

If loading on regular dies  with neck tension  I would reduce the size to minimum.  Just like you say .003 difference between sized and fired when using F/L cases run all the way down. I can reduce that by not running the case in quite so far ( decaper removed) or going to a neck sizer with interchangeable bushings. Can also go up .001 in size on the M die plug. 

Guess I will load up 20 of each neck tension and slip fit see what groups best at 200. Really won't know for sure until I commit one way or the other and upgrade equipment.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Most folks I shoot BPCR mid-range and silhouettes with do not work their cases after fire-forming. Most thumb-seat their bullets. A couple shoot the 440gr Hoch, as well. If you are shooting Starline brass then you should anneal the case mouth before firing the first time. Or after, if all ready fired. Does a better job of fire-forming once annealed. 

Have found 56gr of 2F Swiss in a Starline case with a LR primer and 2x0.060" fiber wads to be an ~1moa load with the 400gr bullet cast with 20-1 in a 14" twist barrel. Have both the 400gr and 450gr 'Money' moulds from BACo. Let me know if you would like to try a few. 

Load up a bunch and head up to Shippensburg tomorrow for some practice and the 60-shot match on Saturday. Supposed to be great weather.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2013 at 6:23am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rr2241tx

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I shoot about 0.001 neck tension in my 40-65.  Much more accurate that way than slip fit or rolled into the grease groove.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jun 12th, 2013 at 2:46pm:

Thing that concerns me about the slip fit is getting consistency. Am using a Walters .060 cork - like wad. It's real secure and running through a compression die, with little compression it's probably going to set the bullets engagement well with no neck tension

Not sized may be able to get a few more grains in the case.  If sized and neck tension I can use a thin wad and gain some case capacity that way. Flip of the coin on powder capacity either way.

Any opinions slip fit or sized necks ?

Boats

It's been awhile, but I once owned a .45-70 Rolling Block that was custom chambered to slip-fit a Paul Jones 535 grain Creedmore bullet.  Cases were never resized, shots were very consistent, and eliminating neck tension eliminated another pesky variable for that rifle.  However, I'm not sure that slip fitting would work as well in a normally chambered rifle. 

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
RR2241  I am leaning  your way little bit of neck tension.  That's the way I shoot my 38/55 fixed smokeless powder. Can't slip fit it no stack of powder and wad to sit the bullet on. Little bit of tension rifle shoots nearly as well as with the 32/40 barrel breech seated

Fooling with slip fit in fired cases my 409 bullet wants to wiggle around some in the case. Might be chambers cut for slip fit don't see that wiggle. 

Very little neck size makes it snug not tight.  You can set the neck tension by adjusting how deep the case runs in the F/L die. Far as centered in the bore this Hoch 440 gr bullet is a bore rider lot of bullet up in the bore before the first driving band engages the rifling

Could also use a neck sizer die. CH4D has a interchangeable bushing neck size die that will let me set the neck any size I want, and switch out to do the same with other calibers.

Always seemed to me thing was to introduce the bullet to the bore with minimum distortion in a consistent manner. Not so important how it's done long as it fits and engages properly.

Will see & report

Boats

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Found a taper crimp die seems to work. Just enough to eliminate any bullet wiggle in the case. Can't pull the bullet  out of the case with your fingers, but can still be rotated.
Chuck

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:51am:
Found a taper crimp die seems to work. Just enough to eliminate any bullet wiggle in the case. Can't pull the bullet  out of the case with your fingers, but can still be rotated.
Chuck

I like standards that are simple to understand and achievable.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint