Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Suggestions Please (Read 3991 times)
RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Suggestions Please
Jun 9th, 2013 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Starting bullet casting. Have no equipment, except moulds. I'll be casting .32 cal. only (20:1 & 25:1). Planning to ladle cast only. What furnace? Can I get away with the 4# Lee or should I go bigger/better? Which ladle? Thermometer? ......... other stuff needed? Many choices and supplier "out of stocks" make it confusing & a bit difficult. I'm hoping to pan lube ........ or do I really need to spring for a Lubrisizer? (I'm guessing the answer to that question lies in the chamber to base-of-bullet as cast relationship.) Any help appreciated. Thanks.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Suggestions Please
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Let's start with the low-budget approach that you can throw away when you get more-better stuff.

1 Qt STAINLESS (not aluminum) sauce pan & a Goodwill one burner hot plate.

An iced tea spoon - for skimming off the crud (and something to put the hot off-scouring into).

A lead-pouring ladle made for the job is important (if for no other reason for safety).

Good set of leather gloves and EYE PROTECTION.

I use a 0-1000dF thermometer from an HVAC supplier and a couple of thermocouple based meters from EBAY.

All kinds of rectangular steel pans for pan lubing from Goodwill, glass is more stable (doesn't flex and dump the bullets over).

There's a start.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I can tell you what I use; Waage 22 pound lead furnace, a Lyman lead thermometer (to set the thermostat on the furnace) and a Lyman lead ladle. I flux with bee’s wax and cast with 20 to 1 lead tin alloy. It works for me!  Smiley

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
The Lee 20lb. Ladle pot is a good choice. Mine is no over 12 years old and still going. You can just about buy two each on sale for the price of one Wagg replacement heating coil. Hook up the Lee to a 1000 watt dimmer switch and it holds the casting temperature real well as there is no cycling on and off as it provides constant amperage to the heating coil. We picked up two 20lb. Lee pots a shot time back for 59.00ea. Get a paddle that marries to the spruce plate, stay away from those that only allow you to pour the alloy in. Some moulds require a little head pressure from the ladle to fill out the bases. Travers has a nice digital thermometer including the probe for less than you will pay for a good casting thermometer and it is money well spent.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Planning to ladle cast only. What furnace? Can I get away with the 4# Lee or should I go bigger/better? 
... Lee 20# electric pot
Which ladle? 
... A Lyman or Rowel
Thermometer? 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
......... other stuff needed? 
... Brake Cleaner or HOT SOAPY WATER to clean mold
... Piece of paraffin to lube mold pins
... Stainless steel soup spoon, drill holes on both edges to all melt to drain back into pot and hold the dross
... Hickory hammer handle - leather gloves, safety glasses and leather welders apron (all from Harbor Freight)
... Two muffin tins, large cavities for ingots before and after casting
... Chinese Wok spoon with wood handle to scoop excess melt into muffin tin
... Sawdust for flux
... Large COTTON bath towel, fold it to drop bullets on

I'm hoping to pan lube ........ or do I really need to spring for a Lubrisizer? 
... Tin or glass bread loaf pans from WalMart or KMart
... Spirit Level to insure melted lube is level in pan
... Key to Pan Lubing is bullets pan heated over a pan of boiling water are HOT to touch with finger.  Then cool the lube.  Floor fan hastens the cooling 

And read this on how to cast ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Yes to the Lee 20# pot. Do not get the bottom pour pot (any) as they drip. Even the good ones eventually leak.

For great temp control get one of these. With my 325 & 340gr 38cal bullets it holds temp so well that out of 100 bullets the weight variation is under a grain or less than 1/3 of 1%. I segregate into 1/2gr lots, so the variation is around 0.17%. 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Does even better with the 40cal bullets.

Also bought a large slotted stainless spoon from eBay for something like $10. Have never figured out the need for flux and ingots and other stuff. Get the lead and your mould to temp, pour nice bullets, occasionally skim dross from the melt, replenish the pot as needed. With your small bullets, that won't be very often. You will find that with a little experience and a quality mould it is very easy. Enjoy!!

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Aonghas
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
RayH wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 6:07pm:
Starting bullet casting. Have no equipment, except moulds. I'll be casting .32 cal. only (20:1 & 25:1). Planning to ladle cast only. What furnace? Can I get away with the 4# Lee or should I go bigger/better? Which ladle? Thermometer? ......... other stuff needed? Many choices and supplier "out of stocks" make it confusing & a bit difficult. I'm hoping to pan lube ........ or do I really need to spring for a Lubrisizer? (I'm guessing the answer to that question lies in the chamber to base-of-bullet as cast relationship.) Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Some here are not going to like this:

I use an old cast-iron saucepan to melt the lead in, usually over a domestic propane gas burner.

My ladle is also cas-iron.

I judge the temperature by the discoloration of the (raked clean) surface of the lead.

The first few bullets/balls go back into the pot until the mould is at the right temperature.

Usually, I knock the castings out into water.

Oh,and I wear welding gloves, a face-mask (respirator) with a suitable filter in it, and goggles.

The only really serious target shooting I do with a P14 (.303), for which I buy good quality jacketed bullets.

Aonghas

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
It's not how you do it as long as the results are what you are looking for. All the pot does is melt alloy and hopefully maintain temperature. The most expensive pot out there cannot cast good bullets, it's up the operator to provide that function. Alloy to temp is alloy temp and it doesn't matter in the least amount how you get and maintain it there.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
My sincere thanks to all. I'm set now with the Lee 20# pot, Tru-Temp thermometer, Rowell & Lyman Ladles, 25:1 from the Buffalo gang, Hoch mould (and others), goggles, vest, fans, etc., etc. ................... the works. ASSRA members (thread followers & responders) have been great to me. Now, the ball's really in my court! I am grateful to you all and I am looking forward to meeting and shooting & sharing with you all.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 11:58am
Print Post  
After you get the technique down with what you have add a PID controller. You can really dial in the temps and hold them there. It's going to cost in the 200 dollar range but really an improvement when trying to cast quality boolits.

Enjoy yourself casting,
Jack

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint