Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New to me 1885 Low Wall Stevens Pope 32-40 (Read 2370 times)
1903shooter

New to me 1885 Low Wall Stevens Pope 32-40
Jun 5th, 2013 at 10:25am
Print Post  
I just bought a real nice & beautiful 1885 Winchester Low Wall with a Stevens-Pope 30 inch 8 groove barrel chambered for 32-40.  I am a complete novice with single shots and need some advice about a safe load for this rifle.  It is serial number 67185 with the early case hardened receiver.  The bore is pretty much like new and nice and bright.  From what I have read 32-40 was never really recommended for the low wall receiver rifles.  So I am guessing that I need to keep my loads well under the maximum.  I have a Lyman 319289 & 319247 molds and was hoping one of you guys could recommend a nice safe load with these bullets.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New to me 1885 Low Wall Stevens Pope 32-40
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Just acquired a valuable single shot like that  complete novice ? I would buy Randy Wrights book and another 32/40 perhaps one of the Browning reproductions and make some mistakes without any cost.

Way that rifle was intended to be shot, breech seated takes some experience, lot to it and not like shooting modern rifles.  32/40 pushes the actions ability, ok if things are kept moderate double charge or the wrong charge could be a real problem. In fact even experienced doubt if I would shoot it much, put the hard miles on a reproduction.

One shooters opinion only

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I'll suggest two low pressure loads using your 319289 mold. The first is a old Harvey Donalson load that he said that he could shoot a 1" group at 100, anytime. These loads are breech seated, 1/16 in front of a 2.12 long case.

1. 12.2 gr 4759, Rem 2 1/2 primers. That's 20 gr by volume on a Lymam powder measure.

2. 13.6 gr 4227, any primer.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
1903shooter
To many of us interested in matters Pope, a few more details about your new rifle would be very much appreciated. As a Stevens-Pope, the barrel will have its own serial number, probably under the forestock. If under about number 1240, it was likely made or at least finished by Pope. Is the barrel fitted with a false muzzle? Are there any loading implements that came with your rifle? How is it stocked? And, of course, would you please post a photo or two of your magnificent acquisition?
You have certainly entered the schuetzen game with a great rifle, please treat it with the care and respect is deserves. Welcome to the clan, I think you will find learning to shoot your rifle a pleasurable experience.
Do you know if your Stevens-Pope is in the Pope registry? You could contact Tom Rowe to have your rifle listed. Tom is helping Warren Greatbatch who is nearing completion of his massive book on Pope. PM or email me and I will provide Tom’s contact info.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint