Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mass. Arms Maynard #16 (Read 22399 times)
xtimberman

Mass. Arms Maynard #16
Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Since there are so many Maynard treads on the forum, I thought I might post some photos of this unusual variation with light-colored wood and no checkering. I've had this rifle for over 30 years - from the days before Maynards were cool. The bore is perfect and glass-smooth - and shoots better than I can at 100-200 yds.  

.32-35 Maynard

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Originally a M-1873 - converted to the thin 1882 cartridge head by sleeving the action. 1882-type hammer installed at the same time.

Barrel set back with the sleeve job to accomodate the thinner 1882 rim.

Couple of photos of the reverse side:

Pistol Grip inset is of darker wood for contrast:

Buttstock and nickle-plated Swiss buttplate:

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Mass. Arms Maynard #16
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
If I'm seeing that correctly, that is really a neat way to put a pistol grip on a rifle with a straight tang.  Does that insert come out then when you remove the screw?  Nice work!!.  Bob

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Bob, that insert was glued in place. You remove the plug screw to access the main lower tang bolt. So far as I know, the Mass. Arms factory handled all Maynard #16 pistol grips this way - and I've examined a bunch of 'em.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So far as I know, the Mass. Arms factory handled all Maynard #16 pistol grips this way - and I've examined a bunch of 'em.

Anything other than the configuration shown would be a deviation from the factory method for accomplishing a pistol grip butt stock.  Bent lower tangs, if seen, were done somewhere other than  at Mass Arms Co. factory.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks for shearing the photos.Very nice rifle.

ron

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
Since there are so many Maynard treads on the forum, .  .  .  .

Actually there are precious few original Maynards left; and most of us who are fortunate to have one, or more of these gems, hardly ever talk of them in terms of "so many Maynards".

I seem to believe that there are two schools of owners, those that have a Maynard that has been "all dressed up" with a sanded stock and glossy finished for show, and those that are more utilitarian with original finish and which shoot great scores.  Said another way, kinda like either for "show" or for "go".

Thank you for showing your Maynard publicly and for joining in one of the numerous Maynard threads.  I know of no other current web site that has as many talented Maynard folks, with as much Maynard hard knowledge, as what is available here on the A.S.S.R.A Forum.  We all are doing Doctor Maynard proud.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 8:46am
Print Post  
This one still has the original finish on wood and metal - at least from the time of the factory conversion to the 1882-type cartridge. For some reason, the flaws don't show up in these photos - except for a couple of buggered screw heads. I coated the stock with wax to preserve the finish...perhaps giving the impression of a sanded glossy finish...that and the glare from the bright sun.

I don't shoot this rifle frequently, but take it out for a day of shooting ~once a year. Mould is Ideal #311157 which is simply stamped "32-35-165" - and is breech-seated enough to chamber the case filled with 2gr. SR-4759 and 34gr. FFG.

This is not quite a safe queen, but it is my nicest antique rifle. If it starts spitting rain, I'll run for the truck.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  

Thanks X-Timber-Man for that;

I certainly agree with you, these Maynards do deserve to be cared for no matter what their mission in life might be.

Your's sure is a beauty to behold.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle and thanks for sharing. Don't ever recall seeing anything that beautiful here at the shows in Louisiana. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Joel Black

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 10:28am
Print Post  
For some inexplicable reason, I do not have a Maynard (it would be a number 16) or a Farrow in my collection. With the former, when I've seen one, there has always been some minor detail that bothered me. With the latter, I've seen very few for sale during the past 50 years.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 10:45am
Print Post  

Maynard rifles are not for everybody.  Don't feel bad that you're not among those of us who are able to look beyond the superficiality of the "outers" and see something of the inner soul.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Maynards won me over when I realized how relatively easy they are to get shooting well. Generally...if they still have a nice bore, all they require is the proper weight and dia. bullet of ~30:1 temper and a case full of BP or a BP load primed with a small charge of SR-4759.

I'm referring to Mass. Arms rifles - not parts-guns with mis-matched barrels and actions...but some of those will shoot well, too.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I see this is a very old thread, but I'll send you a PM xtimberman ... I just bought what appears to be a very close "sister" to your Maynard!  An 1882 Model 16 with smooth (non-checkered) stocks in .32-35 ... with a perfect bore.  Not quite a pretty as yours, but lots of potential.  Came with some interesting accessories too.  A round "barrel" style cartridge "box" ... 46 rounds of brass and ammo ... and a stack of pre-cut patches.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 5:09pm:
Not quite a pretty as yours...

No, but that case & strange cartridge "barrel" just about makes up for it.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I'm tickled seeing that neat rifle. I've never even put a Maynard to my shoulder, but they fascinate me. The screws on that one are enough to make me cry- but not the same cry that other screws have made me cry. Thanks fer the treat.  Smiley

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:26pm:
I'm tickled seeing that neat rifle. I've never even put a Maynard to my shoulder, but they fascinate me.

Me too, until I got one: that break-action I just found awkward to handle...even though--don't tell me--countless "happy customers" must have loved!  Same objection I've had with Stevens Tip-Ups.  But even those who "love it" have to admit shooting them from a bench is a major nuisance.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:42am
Print Post  
I'm going to pull down a few rounds of the old ammo that was included with the rifle to see what is loaded in them.  Likely will just be 35 or so grains of black powder with the card / cork retaining wad, but it will be interesting to find out.  I'll weigh the charges to see what they were shooting in it.  The bare lead bullet measures about .307" to .308" and slips right through the barrel without any friction.  The patched bullets measure about .317" to .318.  I tried an on hand Lyman 314299 sized to .311" and it was a very snug fit at the muzzle.  Haven't had a chance to slug the bore yet and see what it actually measures.  The windage screw for the front globe sight appears to be a fairly crude home-made replacement so I'll have to get a proper replacement made to make it serviceable before I can shoot it.  I unscrewed the eyecup, but the sight wouldn't move up and down for elevation so I didn't try to force it.  I need one of the resident Maynard "experts" to tell me if the screw on the off side of the adjuster needs to be slackened off first or if the mechanism should move with just the eyecup loosened off and it all just needs to be soaked with some solvent to undo years of hardened crud buildup?  I tried some on hand brass and the closest thing to the .402" nominal base size of the .32-35 was some S&B .22 Savage Hi Power brass I hand which measured at .412".  Much smaller to begin with than the .30-30, .25-35, or .32-40 I measured.  They were all from about .416" to .418" at the base ahead of the rim.  The HP brass will still need to be swaged down another 10 thousandths to fit the chamber.  It will take a bit of time and effort, but it will all come together in the end ...

Cool

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:05am
Print Post  
The sight elevation slide should move just loosening the eyecup. It is probably bound up by dried oil. Soak it in penetrating oil. Soak the pinion gear and shaft also. The small screw on the side just holds the pinion gear in place. It does not put tension on the slide. 

Nice Maynard! the buttplate was probably nickel plated at one time. A full round barrel 32-35 is a bonus. I have one but they are fairly rare. The extra weight makes for a good hanging offhand rifle. Maynards were used for offhand shooting. They don't work well for bench shooting that has become the new Schuetzen shooting. I guess lots of folks have gotten too old to hold the rifle up for offhand shooting.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I've had a Maynard in the rack for years. Hadn't really paid too much attention to it. But this thread has got me looking again. It is straight gripped checkered, no fore wood, tang and beech front sight, with a spirit level where a rear sight would be. The tang sight is different than both here. It has a plated action and Swiss butt plate. Unsure of caliber, around .35 at a guess.

Where would be the best place to start looking to see exactly what I have.  Thanks

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:33am:
Where would be the best place to start looking to see exactly what I have.

Right here, if you can provide a photo.   

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Reverend,
Thank you for resurrecting this thread, your Maynard while not as pristine it has some very unique touches.  I don't recall ever seeing a cartridge barrel as an accessory.  As much as I dislike working with wood, the pistol grip idea is something different and I see a rolling block in my future with that feature applied.   
The perch for the sight on the rear of the tang, while not uncommon, never caught my attention until recently - another item I'll add to the mix... and the sight, going to dabble with that design again.
I don't have a complete Maynard, but there's enough parts in my mess to assemble most of one, I may move that up the list a little ways.
Thanks,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Edited:
Right here, if you can provide a photo. 

Well here it is. Any information appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
For several years I kept looking at a Maynard at a local gun shop. It was tagged as a 32 rimfire but an inspection revealed to me that it was a 32-35. The tang sight was missing. It was on consignment and we could never get together on a price. Still would like to have a Maynard someday.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:22am:

Because of the checkered stock & Beach sight, I'm going to guess a No. 10 Improved Mid Range model; but I could be wrong, as Maynard used so many different model numbers for models not very much different from one another.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that. Is it my imagination or does the hammer on mine have a different profile from the other rifles shown.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:15pm:
Thanks for that. Is it my imagination or does the hammer on mine have a different profile from the other rifles shown.

Maybe because yours is a '73 model & the others are '82s?

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
No problem ... and thanks to everyone for whatever helpful info can be gleaned from your comments.  I'll soak the rear sight with some penetrating oil / solvent and get it freed up again.  I'll need to find a decent quality machinist to replace the front sight windage screw.  We have a gun show coming up locally next weekend and I'm going to watch for an old, used .38 / .357 steel (non carbide) sizing die.  With luck a hobby machinist friend of mine can bore / ream / polish it out to about .402" so that I can use it to reduce the bases on some of these .22 Savage HP brass to try and make some shooter brass.  I have a friend in town who is a hobby "cooper" and I will show her that novel round "barrel" style cartridge box to see if she wants to try and duplicate it.  (She is also an avid black powder enthusiast and shoots muzzle-loaders and black powder cartridge guns so I think she'd find it an interesting project.)

Too many project guns and not enough time to play with them all!

Wink

GT wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:38am:
Reverend,
Thank you for resurrecting this thread, your Maynard while not as pristine it has some very unique touches.  I don't recall ever seeing a cartridge barrel as an accessory.  As much as I dislike working with wood, the pistol grip idea is something different and I see a rolling block in my future with that feature applied.  
The perch for the sight on the rear of the tang, while not uncommon, never caught my attention until recently - another item I'll add to the mix... and the sight, going to dabble with that design again.
I don't have a complete Maynard, but there's enough parts in my mess to assemble most of one, I may move that up the list a little ways.
Thanks,
Greg

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Fazer, yours is an 1873 model. They used what is referred to as a thick head case that was about .135" thick and 3/4" diameter. The two 35 calibers were 35/30 which was about 1 5/8" long and 35/40 which was about 2 1/16" long. The case diameter was about .400" +/- and straight. Cases can be made from 30/30 or 38/55 cases by swaging them down to .400" diameter and installing an adapter ring. I do both. A chamber cast will tell you what you have.

You have a nice rifle and one that certainly looks shootable.  The hammer was changed to a lower profile in the 1882 model because it blocked your view at the moment of firing. The steel was also notch sensitive and sometimes the spur would break off with that high moment of inertia. Those thick head cases draw attention if you shoot it with others around.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:08pm by Deadeye Bly »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Well, since I've had the single shot rifle "itch" lately I couldn't help myself and will be "picking at the scab" again in a couple of days.

I'm so enthralled with this 1882 Maynard No. 16 I bought that I reached out to an old local shooting friend that I hadn't talked to in years.  I knew he had an 1873 Maynard in one of the thick rim .40 calibre cartridges and thought I'd touch base with him about it.  We had a great chat and to make a long story short he IS finally ready to sell it now and so he is getting together the gun and a bit of formed brass and some home made loading tools and then I'll go over for an in-person visit and will buy it from him.  I'll post some photos of it once I get it in my hot little hands ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Oh ... and I bought another Ballard too ...

Grin

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #30 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I'm heading out to an old shooting friend's place tomorrow afternoon to look over his 1873 Maynard in .40 calibre and a .22 BSA Martini.  Hopefully they will both come back home with me!

Smiley

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
tell us about the Ballard you bought.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
rustyrelx wrote on Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:40am:
tell us about the Ballard you bought.

I made a new post with photos on the Ballard rather than add it to this older Maynard thread, but I'm buying an 1873 Maynard later today and I'll try to add photos of it to this thread sometime this evening.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
OK, I ran out to see an old shooting buddy today and bought that 2nd Maynard 1873 model in .40-60.  It has a 30" heavy round barrel, straight checkered stock, shotgun butt, very good bore, original Maynard rack and pinion rear tang sight, Lyman 17A replacement front sight, and a fairly crude looking open rear sight.  It also appears that the firing pin assembly is a replacement.  It came with an RCBS 300 grain mould (which is great since I already have the 350 and 400 grain RCBS moulds, but didn't have the 300 grainer), a couple of sample bullets sized down to .400" for paper patching, and 4 cases formed from .30-40 Krag brass.  He couldn't find the thick rim brass washer adaptor that he had for shooting it, but I've already sent off a PM regarding getting some of the proper sized adaptor rings for these thick rim Maynard cartridges.  It also came with a 310 tong tool bullet seating die.  All in all I'm quite happy with it, although I will put a blank in the rear sight dovetail to replace the crude open sight, and replace the front sight with something a bit more period correct if I can locate one.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Ran a rod with a wet patch through the bore today ... it was just dusty from sitting for years.  It looks really good now ...

Cool

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
OK, I took some measurements on this 2nd Maynard 1873 model today and it looks like my rifle is a .40-60 Maynard rather than a .40-70. Using the probe on my calipers the chamber measures about 2.163" from the back of the barrel to the front of the chamber where I can feel a definite ridge or shoulder at the end of the chamber, so with the 1873 model .135" thick rim (less about .064" for the thickness of the rims on the donor cases I'll use) the total case length comes out at about 2.234". The .40-60 Maynard has a nominal length of 2.200" so allowing for a bit of error on my part (or a somewhat long chamber or a slightly eroded throat?) it looks like it is chambered for .40-60 rather than the .2.400" long .40-70. I do still need to slug the barrel and see what the bore and groove dimensions are on this particular rifle and I'll check to see what the twist is too. I now have RCBS GG moulds in .410" for 300, 350, and 400 grain bullets and should be able to make something work with a bit of testing.
I measured some .303 British cases that I had previously fire-formed and blown out straight in my Ishapore Lee Enfield No. 1 MK III in .410 Musket and they measure out at about 2.165" to 2.185" before squaring up the case mouths so it looks like I'll be able to use some of my thousands of rounds of "on hand" .303 Brit brass rather than having to source some longer .30-40 Krag cases, so that's a bonus!
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:03pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Oh, and the eyepiece on the tang sight is seized up tight so I sprayed it with some penetrating oil and will let it sit for a day or two and try it again.  (The rear tang sight on the 1882 model I bought previously is still soaking too ...)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
OK, I'm not finding too much info on loading for the .40-60 Maynard thick rim so does anyone on here have any experience with this cartridge?

I'm assuming to try to duplicate the original loading that it would be a paper patched bullet of about .400" diameter and about 330 grains patched up to match the bore diameter rather than the groove diameter?  Am I on the right track so far?  Load 60 grains compressed slightly and topped off with a card wad, and possibly a grease cookie or greased fibre wad under the PP bullet?  Should I breech seat the bullet or load it fixed?  (Or try both?)

I'll slug the barrel and see what the groove size is and see if I can also use any of the .410" GG RCBS moulds I have already in 300, 350, and 400 grains.  Can't hurt to try some GG bullets as well if they look like they will fit OK.

What are your thoughts on using a very light (2 to 4 grains of SR4579) "kicker" charge under the main black powder charge in the 1873 Maynard action?  Not looking to improve performance, just trying to keep the brass and bore cleaner while shooting it.

Any sage advise that anyone is willing to offer would be much appreciated especially if it will save me some time and effort in testing.

Al
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:04pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Looks like you have found a nice one.regarding the duplex I start at 5% Imr 4227 and go up if it does not burn clean to the end of the barrel. yMMV. Thanks for taking the time to post good pics. I would defently slug the bore.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #39 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I know Deadeye Bly is out of town shooting at Raton this week.  I'm sure he will respond when he gets back.   
Bruce

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 7:39pm:
Looks like you have found a nice one.regarding the duplex I start at 5% Imr 4227 and go up if it does not burn clean to the end of the barrel. yMMV. Thanks for taking the time to post good pics. I would defently slug the bore.

OK, thanks for that ... I still have a bit of IMR4227 as well as some SR4759 and can try both.  I'll keep everyone posted on my progress with this rifle.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:57pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Bnelson wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:02pm:
I know Deadeye Bly is out of town shooting at Raton this week.  I'm sure he will respond when he gets back.  
Bruce

I suspected that ... I'm sure that I'll hear from him when he gets back.  Of course I'm just like a kid at Christmas waiting to shoot both of these Maynards and I need to touch base with him about it.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:05pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Well, I did it again.  I just bought another Maynard on an online auction site up here in Canada.  (That makes 3 in the past 2 months ...)  This one is a Model 1873 No. 10 Mid-Range Hunting and Target in .40-60 Maynard thick rim with a heavy round 32" barrel.  I absolutely stole it since it is missing it's tang sight and at some point someone has carved some funky "folk art" on the buttstock.  It has a few other "warts" too, but since I paid about 1/2 of what I was expecting to spend on it I'm more than happy.  These are the auction house photos.  I'll post some better photos when I get it in hand.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Well, I did it again!  My 4th Maynard in 2 months.  I have another 1882 model in .22 heading my way.  Should see it within a week and I'll post some photos when I get it in hand ...

It's raining Maynards lately!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Well, I just received the first 16 thick rim adaptors in the mail today for my .40-60 Maynards.  Hopefully I can get out and test fire a few rounds out of #1 gun soon.  (#2 gun in .40-60 is still in transit and hasn't arrived yet).

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:06pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Congrats on your Maynard collection!

I also had the pleasure of getting an 1873 mainspring and takedown lever from Mr. Bly.
Great parts and popped them right in with no fitting needed!

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #46 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Thanks for sending us photos of your much-loved #16 - and apologies for taking over a month to respond! I'm not on-line much these days.

Our two #16s with no checkering are the only two I've ever viewed. I've heard of a few others, but seen no photos. Yours is an 1882 model and mine is an 1873 sleeved and converted to an 1882 at the Mass. Arms factory. Their ease of take-down made so many of their owners have nice custom traveling cases built for their Maynard target rifles. I've seen all sorts and at every level of quality. Yours has a particularly nice one made for it. It tells me that the original owner of yours likely traveled quite a bit to shoot in target matches - and the amount of ordinary wear tells me he shot it a LOT! I see no careless abuse....just honest ordinary wear from decades of use. Thankfully the subsequent owners preserved the bore for you to enjoy. It's been my experience that no matter the external condition...a Maynard rifle with a perfect bore and chamber will shoot well and accurately with lightly-duplexed BP loads and the proper weight and size bullet. I've never shot pure smokeless in any Maynard - too afraid of a blow-out at the rim gap. I've never shot loaded cases in my .32-35 either - always breech-sheeting the bullet just deep enough to allow the fully-charged case to chamber behind it.

Under the barrel and between the lugs, mine has the matching SN stamped along with a "16". This does not ID the barrel as for a Model #16, but denotes a 1 turn in 16" rate of twist which stabilizes a nominal 165gr. bullet. Does your barrel have such a number stamped between the lugs? The PP bullets for your .32-35 seem "long" for the case in your photo.....but Mass. Arms would furnish anything to suit their customers. Are they close to 165gr.?

Berdan-primed or Boxer-primed cases? Heavy "everlasting"? I have a few original everlasting cases but ordered some CNC lathe-turned new ones from RMC when they were in business.

The windgage front sight looks like a Ballard sight mfg. by Bridgeport Tool for them. Was the base of the sight shimmed to fit the larger Maynard barrel cuts?

Is the SN really #210? If so...that is the lowest M-1882 SN I've seen.

Please let us know how it shoots!

John (xtimberman)

Keep us up on the other Maynards, too.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
While I was waiting for my computer to be repaired over the past couple of days I went down to my reloading shop and I primed some .303 British cases and pressed on the thick rim adaptors.  Just need to fire-form them straight and then they can be reloaded with some BP and 300 grain cast bullets.  Can't wait!

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:01pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #48 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Maynard;

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle Bob thanks for sharing. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
What a beautiful Maynard ... what calibre is it chambered for?

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'll have to do a bit of "investigating" to get you the answers to your questions.  I'll get back to you ...

xtimberman wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:03am:
Thanks for sending us photos of your much-loved #16 - and apologies for taking over a month to respond! I'm not on-line much these days.

Our two #16s with no checkering are the only two I've ever viewed. I've heard of a few others, but seen no photos. Yours is an 1882 model and mine is an 1873 sleeved and converted to an 1882 at the Mass. Arms factory. Their ease of take-down made so many of their owners have nice custom traveling cases built for their Maynard target rifles. I've seen all sorts and at every level of quality. Yours has a particularly nice one made for it. It tells me that the original owner of yours likely traveled quite a bit to shoot in target matches - and the amount of ordinary wear tells me he shot it a LOT! I see no careless abuse....just honest ordinary wear from decades of use. Thankfully the subsequent owners preserved the bore for you to enjoy. It's been my experience that no matter the external condition...a Maynard rifle with a perfect bore and chamber will shoot well and accurately with lightly-duplexed BP loads and the proper weight and size bullet. I've never shot pure smokeless in any Maynard - too afraid of a blow-out at the rim gap. I've never shot loaded cases in my .32-35 either - always breech-sheeting the bullet just deep enough to allow the fully-charged case to chamber behind it.

Under the barrel and between the lugs, mine has the matching SN stamped along with a "16". This does not ID the barrel as for a Model #16, but denotes a 1 turn in 16" rate of twist which stabilizes a nominal 165gr. bullet. Does your barrel have such a number stamped between the lugs? The PP bullets for your .32-35 seem "long" for the case in your photo.....but Mass. Arms would furnish anything to suit their customers. Are they close to 165gr.?

Berdan-primed or Boxer-primed cases? Heavy "everlasting"? I have a few original everlasting cases but ordered some CNC lathe-turned new ones from RMC when they were in business.

The windgage front sight looks like a Ballard sight mfg. by Bridgeport Tool for them. Was the base of the sight shimmed to fit the larger Maynard barrel cuts?

Is the SN really #210? If so...that is the lowest M-1882 SN I've seen.

Please let us know how it shoots!

John (xtimberman)

Keep us up on the other Maynards, too.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
xtimberman, you needn't worry about blowing out the  case rim on a Maynard because it is exposed. Even the 1873 with about .135" out of the chamber should be safe with any normal load. For example the M98 Mauser has the head of the cartridge extending that far out of the rear of the chamber and they operate at much higher pressures. The 1903 Springfield extends even farther out of the chamber. You just don't see the back of the cartridge on those guns but they stick out unsupported except at the rear.

Most 1882 Maynards were made on surplus Civil War frames from guns repurchased from the Gov't and serial numbers are all over the place. You can't read a lot into serial numbers on the 1882 rifles.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #53 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Well, Maynard #4 FINALLY arrived in the mail after Canada Post shuffled it around a bit from truck to truck first.  It's an 1873 marked action in .22 rimfire with a 24" barrel.  Schuetzen style Swiss buttplate in brass.  A few small cracks in the stock, plus a mis-matching coloured small repair just behind the action.  Needs a good cleaning, but the bore looks decent so far.  Looks like a previous repair to the extractor (brazed?).  Serial number on the barrel matches the action and marked as "25" twist behind the lug (so likely .22 Short?).  I'll give the bore a good scrub and shoot it this coming Saturday since I'll be up at my local range to help out with a rifle training session with our Women's Shooting group up there.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #54 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I was hoping to test fire the .22 Long Maynard today, but after driving all the way up to our local range I found that there was thick fog and off and on rain.  Our club won't allow shooting when fog obscures the range since there could be unseen wildlife (especially deer) out behind our shorter range target frames, so no luck today.  I'll have to see what the weather does this coming week and try again ...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Be sure to take some 22 Shorts along to try in that Maynard. The Long cartridge was never noted for good accuracy but some Shorts are. With the 25" twist the Shorts may be just the ticket even with the bullet having to jump into the rifling. Worth a try.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #56 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
OK, will do.  I have lots of shorts as well as a fairly good supply of longs.  The bore is a bit scruffy (dark and a bit rough), so I'd planned to try something with it that I did with an old Remington Gallery model pump in .22 Short I had that was "scruffy" too.  I smeared a light coating of JB Bore Paste on each individual bullet and then "fire lapped" it with about 20 / 25 rounds.  It improved the way the barrel looked and shot fairly substantially.  If worse comes to worse this Maynard might need a reline, but I'll see how it shoots first.  (... and I'm honestly not expecting "match" accuracy ...)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #57 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Well, finally got the Maynard in .22 Long up to the range today and had a few problems.  First I tried some CCI longs with copper washed bullets and ... click ... click ... click ... no bang.  The firing pin is striking too far inboard on the cartridges and not crushing the rims, hence no bang.  I had a few older CCI longs with wax coated lead bullets and no copper wash and actually got about 50% of those to fire.  The bore is rough, and the accuracy was poor as expected, so I'm liking looking at a reline at some point.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #58 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Lol, some of the cases look as old as the rifle.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #59 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
That's OK ... the owner is old too ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #60 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Great day up at the range today fire-forming brass for three of my old single shots.  Formed some .40-60 Maynard thick rim for my 1873 Maynard Model 16 using the adaptor spacers pressed onto some .303 British cases.  They fit the chamber perfectly and blew out perfectly.  Now I just need to cast some more .40 bullets to test ...

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2018 at 8:41pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #61 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Al,
I understand that there are no set "rules" when it comes to Maynards..... Smiley

Your wonderful, new .40-60 has the "round full length barrel", "checkered stock of fancy branch walnut" with wide shotgun butt, and the extra tall patent rack-and-pinion rear vernier sight - all common to the #14 Creedmoor Rifle...which was normally chambered for the .44-100. The Maynard Mid-Range #13 was chambered in either .40-60 or -70....but the ones I've examined usually had much plainer walnut, the standard buttplate, and the barrels were of lighter weight w/some octagon at the breech end. I wonder what Maynard model # your rifle left the factory as..... a special order #13 or #14 with an additional mid-range barrel?

Is that full-round barrel stamped with a rifling twist # underneath and just behind the hook? The heavy 32" full-round .40-70 barrel on my Maynard #9 (or #10?) Hunting rifle is stamped "25". just curious about yours for comparison....

Again....that's a wonderful rifle!

Added:
That long-staff Maynard patent rack-and-pinion sight has GOT to be incredibly scarce. I've seen a bunch of the standard ones.....but only a few of the long ones!

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I would believe his rifle was shipped as a #14. It has the extra screw hole in the upper tang for the thumb piece along with the long range rear sight. If the barrel with it is serial numbered to the frame it would have been an extra barrel and probably would have the #2 stamped somewhere between the lugs. It's anybody's guess what happened to the 44-100 barrel if it was sold with one. It may have been sold as is. One thing I've learned is to never be surprised about anything odd about a Maynard.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #63 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Finally took the 32" heavy round barrel off the slightly rougher condition # 10 Maynard in .40-60 thick rim and it does match the receiver by serial number and it is stamped "25" twist just behind the lug so I'm assuming it'll shoot better with lighter weight bullets?  I'm going to try the 300 grain .410" RCBS greasers in both of the .40-60's I have and see what happens.  I'm hoping to try some paper patched bullets in them both at some point ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint