Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mass. Arms Maynard #16 (Read 22416 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Mass. Arms Maynard #16
Reply #60 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Great day up at the range today fire-forming brass for three of my old single shots.  Formed some .40-60 Maynard thick rim for my 1873 Maynard Model 16 using the adaptor spacers pressed onto some .303 British cases.  They fit the chamber perfectly and blew out perfectly.  Now I just need to cast some more .40 bullets to test ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2018 at 8:41pm by Reverend Al »  

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #61 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Al,
I understand that there are no set "rules" when it comes to Maynards..... Smiley

Your wonderful, new .40-60 has the "round full length barrel", "checkered stock of fancy branch walnut" with wide shotgun butt, and the extra tall patent rack-and-pinion rear vernier sight - all common to the #14 Creedmoor Rifle...which was normally chambered for the .44-100. The Maynard Mid-Range #13 was chambered in either .40-60 or -70....but the ones I've examined usually had much plainer walnut, the standard buttplate, and the barrels were of lighter weight w/some octagon at the breech end. I wonder what Maynard model # your rifle left the factory as..... a special order #13 or #14 with an additional mid-range barrel?

Is that full-round barrel stamped with a rifling twist # underneath and just behind the hook? The heavy 32" full-round .40-70 barrel on my Maynard #9 (or #10?) Hunting rifle is stamped "25". just curious about yours for comparison....

Again....that's a wonderful rifle!

Added:
That long-staff Maynard patent rack-and-pinion sight has GOT to be incredibly scarce. I've seen a bunch of the standard ones.....but only a few of the long ones!

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I would believe his rifle was shipped as a #14. It has the extra screw hole in the upper tang for the thumb piece along with the long range rear sight. If the barrel with it is serial numbered to the frame it would have been an extra barrel and probably would have the #2 stamped somewhere between the lugs. It's anybody's guess what happened to the 44-100 barrel if it was sold with one. It may have been sold as is. One thing I've learned is to never be surprised about anything odd about a Maynard.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #63 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Finally took the 32" heavy round barrel off the slightly rougher condition # 10 Maynard in .40-60 thick rim and it does match the receiver by serial number and it is stamped "25" twist just behind the lug so I'm assuming it'll shoot better with lighter weight bullets?  I'm going to try the 300 grain .410" RCBS greasers in both of the .40-60's I have and see what happens.  I'm hoping to try some paper patched bullets in them both at some point ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint