Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mass. Arms Maynard #16 (Read 22426 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Mass. Arms Maynard #16
Reply #45 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Congrats on your Maynard collection!

I also had the pleasure of getting an 1873 mainspring and takedown lever from Mr. Bly.
Great parts and popped them right in with no fitting needed!

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #46 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Thanks for sending us photos of your much-loved #16 - and apologies for taking over a month to respond! I'm not on-line much these days.

Our two #16s with no checkering are the only two I've ever viewed. I've heard of a few others, but seen no photos. Yours is an 1882 model and mine is an 1873 sleeved and converted to an 1882 at the Mass. Arms factory. Their ease of take-down made so many of their owners have nice custom traveling cases built for their Maynard target rifles. I've seen all sorts and at every level of quality. Yours has a particularly nice one made for it. It tells me that the original owner of yours likely traveled quite a bit to shoot in target matches - and the amount of ordinary wear tells me he shot it a LOT! I see no careless abuse....just honest ordinary wear from decades of use. Thankfully the subsequent owners preserved the bore for you to enjoy. It's been my experience that no matter the external condition...a Maynard rifle with a perfect bore and chamber will shoot well and accurately with lightly-duplexed BP loads and the proper weight and size bullet. I've never shot pure smokeless in any Maynard - too afraid of a blow-out at the rim gap. I've never shot loaded cases in my .32-35 either - always breech-sheeting the bullet just deep enough to allow the fully-charged case to chamber behind it.

Under the barrel and between the lugs, mine has the matching SN stamped along with a "16". This does not ID the barrel as for a Model #16, but denotes a 1 turn in 16" rate of twist which stabilizes a nominal 165gr. bullet. Does your barrel have such a number stamped between the lugs? The PP bullets for your .32-35 seem "long" for the case in your photo.....but Mass. Arms would furnish anything to suit their customers. Are they close to 165gr.?

Berdan-primed or Boxer-primed cases? Heavy "everlasting"? I have a few original everlasting cases but ordered some CNC lathe-turned new ones from RMC when they were in business.

The windgage front sight looks like a Ballard sight mfg. by Bridgeport Tool for them. Was the base of the sight shimmed to fit the larger Maynard barrel cuts?

Is the SN really #210? If so...that is the lowest M-1882 SN I've seen.

Please let us know how it shoots!

John (xtimberman)

Keep us up on the other Maynards, too.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
While I was waiting for my computer to be repaired over the past couple of days I went down to my reloading shop and I primed some .303 British cases and pressed on the thick rim adaptors.  Just need to fire-form them straight and then they can be reloaded with some BP and 300 grain cast bullets.  Can't wait!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:01pm by Reverend Al »  

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #48 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Maynard;

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle Bob thanks for sharing. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
What a beautiful Maynard ... what calibre is it chambered for?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'll have to do a bit of "investigating" to get you the answers to your questions.  I'll get back to you ...

xtimberman wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:03am:
Thanks for sending us photos of your much-loved #16 - and apologies for taking over a month to respond! I'm not on-line much these days.

Our two #16s with no checkering are the only two I've ever viewed. I've heard of a few others, but seen no photos. Yours is an 1882 model and mine is an 1873 sleeved and converted to an 1882 at the Mass. Arms factory. Their ease of take-down made so many of their owners have nice custom traveling cases built for their Maynard target rifles. I've seen all sorts and at every level of quality. Yours has a particularly nice one made for it. It tells me that the original owner of yours likely traveled quite a bit to shoot in target matches - and the amount of ordinary wear tells me he shot it a LOT! I see no careless abuse....just honest ordinary wear from decades of use. Thankfully the subsequent owners preserved the bore for you to enjoy. It's been my experience that no matter the external condition...a Maynard rifle with a perfect bore and chamber will shoot well and accurately with lightly-duplexed BP loads and the proper weight and size bullet. I've never shot pure smokeless in any Maynard - too afraid of a blow-out at the rim gap. I've never shot loaded cases in my .32-35 either - always breech-sheeting the bullet just deep enough to allow the fully-charged case to chamber behind it.

Under the barrel and between the lugs, mine has the matching SN stamped along with a "16". This does not ID the barrel as for a Model #16, but denotes a 1 turn in 16" rate of twist which stabilizes a nominal 165gr. bullet. Does your barrel have such a number stamped between the lugs? The PP bullets for your .32-35 seem "long" for the case in your photo.....but Mass. Arms would furnish anything to suit their customers. Are they close to 165gr.?

Berdan-primed or Boxer-primed cases? Heavy "everlasting"? I have a few original everlasting cases but ordered some CNC lathe-turned new ones from RMC when they were in business.

The windgage front sight looks like a Ballard sight mfg. by Bridgeport Tool for them. Was the base of the sight shimmed to fit the larger Maynard barrel cuts?

Is the SN really #210? If so...that is the lowest M-1882 SN I've seen.

Please let us know how it shoots!

John (xtimberman)

Keep us up on the other Maynards, too.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
xtimberman, you needn't worry about blowing out the  case rim on a Maynard because it is exposed. Even the 1873 with about .135" out of the chamber should be safe with any normal load. For example the M98 Mauser has the head of the cartridge extending that far out of the rear of the chamber and they operate at much higher pressures. The 1903 Springfield extends even farther out of the chamber. You just don't see the back of the cartridge on those guns but they stick out unsupported except at the rear.

Most 1882 Maynards were made on surplus Civil War frames from guns repurchased from the Gov't and serial numbers are all over the place. You can't read a lot into serial numbers on the 1882 rifles.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #53 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Well, Maynard #4 FINALLY arrived in the mail after Canada Post shuffled it around a bit from truck to truck first.  It's an 1873 marked action in .22 rimfire with a 24" barrel.  Schuetzen style Swiss buttplate in brass.  A few small cracks in the stock, plus a mis-matching coloured small repair just behind the action.  Needs a good cleaning, but the bore looks decent so far.  Looks like a previous repair to the extractor (brazed?).  Serial number on the barrel matches the action and marked as "25" twist behind the lug (so likely .22 Short?).  I'll give the bore a good scrub and shoot it this coming Saturday since I'll be up at my local range to help out with a rifle training session with our Women's Shooting group up there.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #54 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I was hoping to test fire the .22 Long Maynard today, but after driving all the way up to our local range I found that there was thick fog and off and on rain.  Our club won't allow shooting when fog obscures the range since there could be unseen wildlife (especially deer) out behind our shorter range target frames, so no luck today.  I'll have to see what the weather does this coming week and try again ...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Be sure to take some 22 Shorts along to try in that Maynard. The Long cartridge was never noted for good accuracy but some Shorts are. With the 25" twist the Shorts may be just the ticket even with the bullet having to jump into the rifling. Worth a try.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #56 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
OK, will do.  I have lots of shorts as well as a fairly good supply of longs.  The bore is a bit scruffy (dark and a bit rough), so I'd planned to try something with it that I did with an old Remington Gallery model pump in .22 Short I had that was "scruffy" too.  I smeared a light coating of JB Bore Paste on each individual bullet and then "fire lapped" it with about 20 / 25 rounds.  It improved the way the barrel looked and shot fairly substantially.  If worse comes to worse this Maynard might need a reline, but I'll see how it shoots first.  (... and I'm honestly not expecting "match" accuracy ...)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #57 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Well, finally got the Maynard in .22 Long up to the range today and had a few problems.  First I tried some CCI longs with copper washed bullets and ... click ... click ... click ... no bang.  The firing pin is striking too far inboard on the cartridges and not crushing the rims, hence no bang.  I had a few older CCI longs with wax coated lead bullets and no copper wash and actually got about 50% of those to fire.  The bore is rough, and the accuracy was poor as expected, so I'm liking looking at a reline at some point.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #58 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Lol, some of the cases look as old as the rifle.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #59 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
That's OK ... the owner is old too ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint