Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mass. Arms Maynard #16 (Read 22441 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Mass. Arms Maynard #16
Reply #30 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I'm heading out to an old shooting friend's place tomorrow afternoon to look over his 1873 Maynard in .40 calibre and a .22 BSA Martini.  Hopefully they will both come back home with me!

Smiley

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
tell us about the Ballard you bought.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
rustyrelx wrote on Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:40am:
tell us about the Ballard you bought.

I made a new post with photos on the Ballard rather than add it to this older Maynard thread, but I'm buying an 1873 Maynard later today and I'll try to add photos of it to this thread sometime this evening.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
OK, I ran out to see an old shooting buddy today and bought that 2nd Maynard 1873 model in .40-60.  It has a 30" heavy round barrel, straight checkered stock, shotgun butt, very good bore, original Maynard rack and pinion rear tang sight, Lyman 17A replacement front sight, and a fairly crude looking open rear sight.  It also appears that the firing pin assembly is a replacement.  It came with an RCBS 300 grain mould (which is great since I already have the 350 and 400 grain RCBS moulds, but didn't have the 300 grainer), a couple of sample bullets sized down to .400" for paper patching, and 4 cases formed from .30-40 Krag brass.  He couldn't find the thick rim brass washer adaptor that he had for shooting it, but I've already sent off a PM regarding getting some of the proper sized adaptor rings for these thick rim Maynard cartridges.  It also came with a 310 tong tool bullet seating die.  All in all I'm quite happy with it, although I will put a blank in the rear sight dovetail to replace the crude open sight, and replace the front sight with something a bit more period correct if I can locate one.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Ran a rod with a wet patch through the bore today ... it was just dusty from sitting for years.  It looks really good now ...

Cool

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
OK, I took some measurements on this 2nd Maynard 1873 model today and it looks like my rifle is a .40-60 Maynard rather than a .40-70. Using the probe on my calipers the chamber measures about 2.163" from the back of the barrel to the front of the chamber where I can feel a definite ridge or shoulder at the end of the chamber, so with the 1873 model .135" thick rim (less about .064" for the thickness of the rims on the donor cases I'll use) the total case length comes out at about 2.234". The .40-60 Maynard has a nominal length of 2.200" so allowing for a bit of error on my part (or a somewhat long chamber or a slightly eroded throat?) it looks like it is chambered for .40-60 rather than the .2.400" long .40-70. I do still need to slug the barrel and see what the bore and groove dimensions are on this particular rifle and I'll check to see what the twist is too. I now have RCBS GG moulds in .410" for 300, 350, and 400 grain bullets and should be able to make something work with a bit of testing.
I measured some .303 British cases that I had previously fire-formed and blown out straight in my Ishapore Lee Enfield No. 1 MK III in .410 Musket and they measure out at about 2.165" to 2.185" before squaring up the case mouths so it looks like I'll be able to use some of my thousands of rounds of "on hand" .303 Brit brass rather than having to source some longer .30-40 Krag cases, so that's a bonus!
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:03pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Oh, and the eyepiece on the tang sight is seized up tight so I sprayed it with some penetrating oil and will let it sit for a day or two and try it again.  (The rear tang sight on the 1882 model I bought previously is still soaking too ...)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
OK, I'm not finding too much info on loading for the .40-60 Maynard thick rim so does anyone on here have any experience with this cartridge?

I'm assuming to try to duplicate the original loading that it would be a paper patched bullet of about .400" diameter and about 330 grains patched up to match the bore diameter rather than the groove diameter?  Am I on the right track so far?  Load 60 grains compressed slightly and topped off with a card wad, and possibly a grease cookie or greased fibre wad under the PP bullet?  Should I breech seat the bullet or load it fixed?  (Or try both?)

I'll slug the barrel and see what the groove size is and see if I can also use any of the .410" GG RCBS moulds I have already in 300, 350, and 400 grains.  Can't hurt to try some GG bullets as well if they look like they will fit OK.

What are your thoughts on using a very light (2 to 4 grains of SR4579) "kicker" charge under the main black powder charge in the 1873 Maynard action?  Not looking to improve performance, just trying to keep the brass and bore cleaner while shooting it.

Any sage advise that anyone is willing to offer would be much appreciated especially if it will save me some time and effort in testing.

Al
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:04pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Looks like you have found a nice one.regarding the duplex I start at 5% Imr 4227 and go up if it does not burn clean to the end of the barrel. yMMV. Thanks for taking the time to post good pics. I would defently slug the bore.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #39 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I know Deadeye Bly is out of town shooting at Raton this week.  I'm sure he will respond when he gets back.   
Bruce

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 7:39pm:
Looks like you have found a nice one.regarding the duplex I start at 5% Imr 4227 and go up if it does not burn clean to the end of the barrel. yMMV. Thanks for taking the time to post good pics. I would defently slug the bore.

OK, thanks for that ... I still have a bit of IMR4227 as well as some SR4759 and can try both.  I'll keep everyone posted on my progress with this rifle.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:57pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Bnelson wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:02pm:
I know Deadeye Bly is out of town shooting at Raton this week.  I'm sure he will respond when he gets back.  
Bruce

I suspected that ... I'm sure that I'll hear from him when he gets back.  Of course I'm just like a kid at Christmas waiting to shoot both of these Maynards and I need to touch base with him about it.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:05pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Well, I did it again.  I just bought another Maynard on an online auction site up here in Canada.  (That makes 3 in the past 2 months ...)  This one is a Model 1873 No. 10 Mid-Range Hunting and Target in .40-60 Maynard thick rim with a heavy round 32" barrel.  I absolutely stole it since it is missing it's tang sight and at some point someone has carved some funky "folk art" on the buttstock.  It has a few other "warts" too, but since I paid about 1/2 of what I was expecting to spend on it I'm more than happy.  These are the auction house photos.  I'll post some better photos when I get it in hand.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Well, I did it again!  My 4th Maynard in 2 months.  I have another 1882 model in .22 heading my way.  Should see it within a week and I'll post some photos when I get it in hand ...

It's raining Maynards lately!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Well, I just received the first 16 thick rim adaptors in the mail today for my .40-60 Maynards.  Hopefully I can get out and test fire a few rounds out of #1 gun soon.  (#2 gun in .40-60 is still in transit and hasn't arrived yet).

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:06pm by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint