Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mass. Arms Maynard #16 (Read 22454 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Mass. Arms Maynard #16
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:26pm:
I'm tickled seeing that neat rifle. I've never even put a Maynard to my shoulder, but they fascinate me.

Me too, until I got one: that break-action I just found awkward to handle...even though--don't tell me--countless "happy customers" must have loved!  Same objection I've had with Stevens Tip-Ups.  But even those who "love it" have to admit shooting them from a bench is a major nuisance.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:42am
Print Post  
I'm going to pull down a few rounds of the old ammo that was included with the rifle to see what is loaded in them.  Likely will just be 35 or so grains of black powder with the card / cork retaining wad, but it will be interesting to find out.  I'll weigh the charges to see what they were shooting in it.  The bare lead bullet measures about .307" to .308" and slips right through the barrel without any friction.  The patched bullets measure about .317" to .318.  I tried an on hand Lyman 314299 sized to .311" and it was a very snug fit at the muzzle.  Haven't had a chance to slug the bore yet and see what it actually measures.  The windage screw for the front globe sight appears to be a fairly crude home-made replacement so I'll have to get a proper replacement made to make it serviceable before I can shoot it.  I unscrewed the eyecup, but the sight wouldn't move up and down for elevation so I didn't try to force it.  I need one of the resident Maynard "experts" to tell me if the screw on the off side of the adjuster needs to be slackened off first or if the mechanism should move with just the eyecup loosened off and it all just needs to be soaked with some solvent to undo years of hardened crud buildup?  I tried some on hand brass and the closest thing to the .402" nominal base size of the .32-35 was some S&B .22 Savage Hi Power brass I hand which measured at .412".  Much smaller to begin with than the .30-30, .25-35, or .32-40 I measured.  They were all from about .416" to .418" at the base ahead of the rim.  The HP brass will still need to be swaged down another 10 thousandths to fit the chamber.  It will take a bit of time and effort, but it will all come together in the end ...

Cool

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:05am
Print Post  
The sight elevation slide should move just loosening the eyecup. It is probably bound up by dried oil. Soak it in penetrating oil. Soak the pinion gear and shaft also. The small screw on the side just holds the pinion gear in place. It does not put tension on the slide. 

Nice Maynard! the buttplate was probably nickel plated at one time. A full round barrel 32-35 is a bonus. I have one but they are fairly rare. The extra weight makes for a good hanging offhand rifle. Maynards were used for offhand shooting. They don't work well for bench shooting that has become the new Schuetzen shooting. I guess lots of folks have gotten too old to hold the rifle up for offhand shooting.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I've had a Maynard in the rack for years. Hadn't really paid too much attention to it. But this thread has got me looking again. It is straight gripped checkered, no fore wood, tang and beech front sight, with a spirit level where a rear sight would be. The tang sight is different than both here. It has a plated action and Swiss butt plate. Unsure of caliber, around .35 at a guess.

Where would be the best place to start looking to see exactly what I have.  Thanks

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:33am:
Where would be the best place to start looking to see exactly what I have.

Right here, if you can provide a photo.   

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Reverend,
Thank you for resurrecting this thread, your Maynard while not as pristine it has some very unique touches.  I don't recall ever seeing a cartridge barrel as an accessory.  As much as I dislike working with wood, the pistol grip idea is something different and I see a rolling block in my future with that feature applied.   
The perch for the sight on the rear of the tang, while not uncommon, never caught my attention until recently - another item I'll add to the mix... and the sight, going to dabble with that design again.
I don't have a complete Maynard, but there's enough parts in my mess to assemble most of one, I may move that up the list a little ways.
Thanks,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Edited:
Right here, if you can provide a photo. 

Well here it is. Any information appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
For several years I kept looking at a Maynard at a local gun shop. It was tagged as a 32 rimfire but an inspection revealed to me that it was a 32-35. The tang sight was missing. It was on consignment and we could never get together on a price. Still would like to have a Maynard someday.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:22am:

Because of the checkered stock & Beach sight, I'm going to guess a No. 10 Improved Mid Range model; but I could be wrong, as Maynard used so many different model numbers for models not very much different from one another.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that. Is it my imagination or does the hammer on mine have a different profile from the other rifles shown.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:15pm:
Thanks for that. Is it my imagination or does the hammer on mine have a different profile from the other rifles shown.

Maybe because yours is a '73 model & the others are '82s?

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
No problem ... and thanks to everyone for whatever helpful info can be gleaned from your comments.  I'll soak the rear sight with some penetrating oil / solvent and get it freed up again.  I'll need to find a decent quality machinist to replace the front sight windage screw.  We have a gun show coming up locally next weekend and I'm going to watch for an old, used .38 / .357 steel (non carbide) sizing die.  With luck a hobby machinist friend of mine can bore / ream / polish it out to about .402" so that I can use it to reduce the bases on some of these .22 Savage HP brass to try and make some shooter brass.  I have a friend in town who is a hobby "cooper" and I will show her that novel round "barrel" style cartridge box to see if she wants to try and duplicate it.  (She is also an avid black powder enthusiast and shoots muzzle-loaders and black powder cartridge guns so I think she'd find it an interesting project.)

Too many project guns and not enough time to play with them all!

Wink

GT wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:38am:
Reverend,
Thank you for resurrecting this thread, your Maynard while not as pristine it has some very unique touches.  I don't recall ever seeing a cartridge barrel as an accessory.  As much as I dislike working with wood, the pistol grip idea is something different and I see a rolling block in my future with that feature applied.  
The perch for the sight on the rear of the tang, while not uncommon, never caught my attention until recently - another item I'll add to the mix... and the sight, going to dabble with that design again.
I don't have a complete Maynard, but there's enough parts in my mess to assemble most of one, I may move that up the list a little ways.
Thanks,
Greg

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Fazer, yours is an 1873 model. They used what is referred to as a thick head case that was about .135" thick and 3/4" diameter. The two 35 calibers were 35/30 which was about 1 5/8" long and 35/40 which was about 2 1/16" long. The case diameter was about .400" +/- and straight. Cases can be made from 30/30 or 38/55 cases by swaging them down to .400" diameter and installing an adapter ring. I do both. A chamber cast will tell you what you have.

You have a nice rifle and one that certainly looks shootable.  The hammer was changed to a lower profile in the 1882 model because it blocked your view at the moment of firing. The steel was also notch sensitive and sometimes the spur would break off with that high moment of inertia. Those thick head cases draw attention if you shoot it with others around.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:08pm by Deadeye Bly »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Well, since I've had the single shot rifle "itch" lately I couldn't help myself and will be "picking at the scab" again in a couple of days.

I'm so enthralled with this 1882 Maynard No. 16 I bought that I reached out to an old local shooting friend that I hadn't talked to in years.  I knew he had an 1873 Maynard in one of the thick rim .40 calibre cartridges and thought I'd touch base with him about it.  We had a great chat and to make a long story short he IS finally ready to sell it now and so he is getting together the gun and a bit of formed brass and some home made loading tools and then I'll go over for an in-person visit and will buy it from him.  I'll post some photos of it once I get it in my hot little hands ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Oh ... and I bought another Ballard too ...

Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint