Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Breech seating? (Read 2535 times)
plumloco

Breech seating?
May 29th, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Hello all, I have a borchardt .32 miller. I have one mold right now. 211 grain B&D spizter. RKS barrel.
Forgot to bring in my bullet diameter. It is close to bore size. A little over sized. I can't seat the bullets by hand. I want to send some fired cases to have a breech seater made. I can tap the bullet in with a make shift seater. But! I feel funny loading with a small hammer. How do you all seat bullets for the first time with a rifle??
Plumloco

IP Logged

dave_j

Re: Breech seating?
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2013 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Just giggle a little and tap away. a lot of folks on this site have seated bullets in such an undignified manner.
you hear little tappings at some matches
you only need about 3 cases  Smiley

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Plumloco, just a word. You may not get the kind of accuracy you are looking for using a "Tapping Them In Approach" Every time you "Tap" you change the bullet. Cast lead as we use it  20/1, 25/1, 30/1 Lead/Tin or even softer will bump up and change diameters and or fit in the throat quite easily. When that happens any hope of shooting to the same zero
will be lost. You may already be aware of this. But some have not. I would expect you will want to do a chamber and the throat cast with Cerro Bend to supply to a Mold maker so he can create a Tapered bullet that will seat neatly without a lot of work. You should endeavor to achieve the least disruption to yourself on the line. This will lower your heart beat and preserve your energy for the actual task of getting off good shots. This holds true whether you are a Bench shooter or an Offhand Shooter. HTH regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

plumloco

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2013 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave j and Fitz. That answer my question. All I wanted is a few cases to get a mechanical seater made. So I will hold my head hi and tap for few fire formed cases.Plumloco.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2013 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Plumco
I have been shooting my Borchardt with a Smith barrel chambered in my 32-30 IMP case (similar but longer to 32MS case). My advice to you is tap in a few cases and expand a couple of cases. Sent two cases to Russ Weber and have him build you a breech seater. 
  Fitz's advice about having a custom mold made to fit your throating is good. If your rifle has the normal fast Smith twist that ends at 1:11 1/2" then try a bullet 1.200 long. I have been up and down the length experimenting with different weights and found that I get great accuracy and long case life at that bullet length. 
  If you have any questions I would be happy to help send me a PM.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
A 230 gr sure works well with Rons Barrel in that twist.Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint