Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2f Swiss in 25-20 S.S. (Read 3636 times)
TDW

2f Swiss in 25-20 S.S.
May 24th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I seem to have a good supply of Swiss 2F, but less than half a pound of the Swiss 3F I had been using for my 25-20 S.S. Has anyone tried shooting Swiss 2F in the .25s? Any accuracy differences?
Thanks,
TDW

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Re: 2f Swiss in 25-20 S.S.
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2013 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I'm willing to wager that you won't find many BP shooters here. Especially those shooting BP in a .25 caliber.

That being said, from BPCR Silhouette experience, you most likely won't find much difference in accuracy, but may notice a drop in MV.

As no one else has answered you, I hope this may be of some help.

Give it a try and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Jerry_H

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Jerry. It seems I usually ask pretty obscure questions. At one point I thought I would change my forum name to Thread Killer....only to find someone beat me to it! I usually find the answer to most of my questions by using the search feature or just lurking.The questions I actually post are the ones that I have had no luck finding in the archives.
Thanks,
Tom

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2013 at 11:39am
Print Post  
There are black powder shooters here, but they are definately in the minority.  I don't think that black is much/if any handicap in 28 caliber and above.   25's, and smaller, seem to have had less success using black.   Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2013 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Will answer your question this fall. My 25-20 is 'under construction' at the moment. The plan is to shoot BP until I find that it is not possible to do so with enough accuracy to be competitive. 

What sort of results have you been getting with BP? What bullet? How much powder/compression?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

TDW

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies fellas.
    SSShooter I have only fired about 25 rounds with BP in the 25-20. I have only shot at 25yds to establish a sight zero (rifle is new to me). I'm trying to develop a user friendly fixed round to use for squirrel and cottontail hunting. Rifle is an original low-wall with SST and an original factory 28in #1 bbl.  Barrel has (what appears to be) excellent+ bore, slugged at .250 bore and .2565 groove.   
   I was using the following for the first 15 rnds(bench rest, wiped after each five rounds):
Case: unfired Jameson (sized with some standard RCBS dies which unfortunately had reduced the neck ID to .255 and was apparently deforming the bullet badly)
Primer: Federal small pistol
Bullet: Buffalo Arms 86gr., 1/20 alloy, sized to .257 dia. RNFP, SPG lube. Bullet seated out to just engrave the first driving band
Powder: 17gr. Swiss 3FG. 12in drop tubed, topped with .030 thickness .25 cal Walters vegetable wad.
Compression none (well.. not more than a 16th as I have always found the Swiss powders to respond better with minimal compression in my "big bores")
  All shots at 25yds rest. I had pretty dismal groups for the first 15 rounds with no better than 1 3/16 x 1/4in. 5 shot groups (center to center). The last 10 rnds I had decreased the neck tension to .002 and fired two similar 5 shot groups that had 4 rounds in 9/16 x 5/16 with a 5th  shot as a flyer that opened the group to 14/16 x 13/16. The very next day I injured my back and have not been able to shoot for the last 7 months.  Angry
  As soon as I can I will try decreasing the neck tension to "thumb seating pressure" (CH4D collet dies) and using a .258 and .259 bullet (RCBS-25-85-CM). I am new to these small bore cartridge rifles but have had some great advice on smokeless loads from some of the forums quarterbore shooters. I welcome any and all advice!!
Thanks, Tom

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I have shot 2FG black powder in a .25-20 SS with excellent results. I always thought 2F shot better then 3 F in any rifle of .25 and larger which I tried it in. 1 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards. That is the only distance I shots at since that is what the match  required. I breech seated and cleaned every few shots and blow tubed in between.

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2013 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ken,
   The Swiss 2F granule size is so much smaller than Goex or the old Dupont 2F, it seems like a natural choice. I know the smokeless loads are accurate and less trouble than the BP, and is the intelligent choice for competitions. I don't do much competitive shooting anymore, just mostly take my rifles for a walk in the woods, chasing hapless squirrels and rabbits. The inconvenience of BP never seems to come close to the enjoyment in that situation. I was hooked on large bore black powder single shots back in the 60's and I guess it still appeals to me, but as the good Major said "Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Thanks, Tom
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 9:34pm by TDW »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint