Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic FA 9 07 headstamp (Read 3230 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

FA 9 07 headstamp
May 20th, 2013 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I was lookng through some containers of brass/old ammo and came across a round I cannot remember where it came from. It was exceedingly dirty and since I was looking for exceedingly dirty brass to run with some ceramic I tossed it into the tumbler (yes a single loaded round running in ceramic with water/cleaner and a bunch of other dirty brass). What came out is a very nice looking 30-06(?) with the headstamp with the following in four quadrants   F, A, 9, 07. Is this a vintage 30-06 from Frankfort Arsenal with it's cupro-nickel jacketed bullet?

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Re: FA 9 07 headstamp
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2013 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
yep Frankford Aresnal in 1907

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
It sounds like a keeper to me.

ron

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2013 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I imagine the primer and powder are dead after being tumbled in water/cleaner....

Somewhere I have an 8mm Lebel round I found between some cobblestones at Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen, Germany (just south of Stuttgart). Rommel was at Panzer for a short time before going to Afrika. Always wondered how that round found its way there. 

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Warkshop

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2013 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Schwartzstock
Please do not assume that the cartridge is inert - a member of our club put his 7x57 cases through a water/cleaner cycle and found that he had included primed cases and two cartridges.  Pulled the bullets from the cartridges and the powder look good.  Tried the primed cases and every primer fired.  The cases were tumbled for two hours.

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2013 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Many years ago while swimming in a river in middle Tennessee. We found a wooden case of .30-06 tracer ammo that evidently was from WW II training maneuvers by General George Patton. Many of the cases were split but most of the ones that weren't fired. This after many years underwater. Consider your tumbled round good.
Bill

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2013 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Round nosed bullet?  Check the case length & the neck length against a modern .30-06 case.  It may be a .30-03.  Don't know when .30-03 production ended at FA.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2013 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
30-03??? Hmmm, have to check. The bullet is a spitzer, not round nose.

SS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint