Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paper Patched Bullets back where they belong. (Read 4425 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Paper Patched Bullets back where they belong.
May 20th, 2013 at 2:25am
Print Post  
At the Black Powder Long Range (800, 900, 1,000yds) shot at Lodi on the 11-12 May, both first and second places went to competitors using PP bullets.  Cool  Apparently the wind conditions were terrible with it gusting and switching directions constantly. The results are on the Shiloh Sharps Forum / Shooter to Shooter. 

It proved to the grease groove bullet users that they are not necessarily shooting the best bullets as they have been propounding for so many, many years.  Cry

Harry

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Paper Patched Bullets back where they belong.
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2013 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Congratulations to those who rolled their own and achieved success!

Sounds like there may be some sound science behind laminar airflow reducing drag, turbulence and vortices after all.
          Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2013 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
At the Black Powder Long Range (800, 900, 1,000yds) shot at Lodi on the 11-12 May, both first and second places went to competitors using PP bullets.  Cool  Apparently the wind conditions were terrible with it gusting and switching directions constantly. The results are on the Shiloh Sharps Forum / Shooter to Shooter. 

It proved to the grease groove bullet users that they are not necessarily shooting the best bullets as they have been propounding for so many, many years.  Cry

Harry

IF I put all that time into making ONE PP bullet, I'd be dog gone sure that it didn't miss either!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I'm glad to see it.  I'm a fan of paper patch shooting and it's nice to see some real success now and then.  The grease groove shooters win more matches but they out number the paper patch competators by a fair margin.

I'm starting to see some promising results with breech seated paper patched bullets in my .38-55.  Nothing as outstanding as some of the groups I've seen posted here, but the loads have shot sub-moa vertical at 100m and 200m.

Chris.

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Yea, paper patches!  Were the bullets cast or swaged?

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2013 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yea, paper patches!  Were the bullets cast or swaged?

As far as I know, Brent, the match winner casts an elliptical bullet using a mould made by Steve Brooks.

Chris.

IP Logged

Mizura
Participating Member

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2013 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I do ok with GG bullets, but there has come a time when I will try PP. My rifle is a Shiloh, built by them, with a "std." 45/70 chamber. Do I need to have the chamber changed in a way better for PP?, before I try any PP loads?

Jim

two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2013 at 9:25am
Print Post  
The standard Shiloh chamber seems to shoot paper patched bullets quite well.  I have a rifle with a custom chamber for paper patching ( based on an original Borchardt target rifle's chamber ) and I don't think it's more accurate than my standard chambered bull barreled Shiloh.  I do use Norma brass though in the Shiloh as it is thicker in the neck.

The nice thing about the original chambers for bore diameter paper patched bullets is that you never need to size the cases as they are much tighter at the neck.  Mine is .474" rather than the .482" or so on a Shiloh.

Chris.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
OG,

Don't modify the chamber, a number of good barrels have been ruined by having the throats extended. In a 45 caliber you need a bullet that is 0.450 wrapped. My bullets are 0.440 before wrapping and with two wraps of paper come up to just over 0.450. Generally they slide nicely into the bore and I never seat them deeper in the case than 0.400. This leaves plenty of room for powder and a grease cookie.

SS
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2013 at 1:49pm by SchwarzStock »  

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Mizura
Participating Member

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2013 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
OK, but not wanting to steal Harry's post, I will start a new PP subject.

Jim

two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint