Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Effect of neck tension on accuracy (Read 10983 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Effect of neck tension on accuracy
May 18th, 2013 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
What is the effect of varying the neck tension on accuracy?
Has anyone done comparisons?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Dr Tom

Re: Effect of neck tension on accuracy
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Neck tension fixed or BS? I've done some fiddling in 40-65 fixed. Hoch cylindrical.  Less (0.001" under bullet dia) is 1/2 moa better than 0.003. 

TomP
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2013 at 11:11pm by Dr Tom »  

IP Logged

52-Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Dr Tom wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 11:04pm:
Neck tension fixed or BS? I've done some fiddling in 40-65 fixed. Hoch cylindrical.  Less (0.001" under bullet dia) is 1/2 moa better than 0.003. 
TomP

How would neck tension have an affect on a BS bullet ?.
  52-Shooter

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2013 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Dr Tom wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 11:04pm:

TomP

Thanks, Tom - 

I'm using the .405Win, and I'd wondered just how much tension was needed for consistent ignition vs. too much tension distorting the bullet.  (Or no tension)

I guess now I'll make a set of expanders to test this.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Tim,  i have  tried several ways to get neck tension more constant with my 32-40 and a pinch of UniQ,   roll crimp was the standard with about .002..   shot well, but now still use .002, but after all are loaded with no roll crimp, I use my lee size die with the guts out and with the pill in the correct place, run the size die down on the neck for .08 to .10, seem to give less veration on the crono and quite  a few more hits on the rams,   see in a coupla weeks, Mike

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2013 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mike -
I'll see y'all in June - most likely.  We'll just be back from the Prairie Dog hunt.  Going to try the .405 win on them.  Smiley

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2013 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
52-S: Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong. Neck tension in BS is contact with the chamber walls, not the bullet. So, it's backwards from fixed. Neck compression? The case mouth is belled outward slightly to form a seal with the chamber. How much? Nooo idea. I'm still learning BS. My latest attempts with 25-20SS have very little bell. Maybe 0.002 over chamber neck diameter? Case length variation and the extent of the chamfer affect how tight it feels, but I'm almost always getting a seal. 

Tom

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2013 at 7:24am
Print Post  
colo native wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 11:09am:
Tim,  i have  tried several ways to get neck tension more constant with my 32-40 and a pinch of UniQ,   roll crimp was the standard with about .002..   shot well, but now still use .002, but after all are loaded with no roll crimp, I use my lee size die with the guts out and with the pill in the correct place, run the size die down on the neck for .08 to .10, seem to give less veration on the crono and quite  a few more hits on the rams,   see in a coupla weeks, Mike 

Am surprised that your 32-40 has any effect on the rams. I've shot as heavy as a 205gr bullet in mine at the turkeys and rams and will generally knock over the turkey when hit well, but have never knocked over a ram regardless of where the hit was.

For the record, with fixed BP i thumb-seat the bullet and do zero neck work on the brass once fire-formed, other than cleaning.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  
SSShooter, several years ago on the Shiloh site there was a fellow that had posted about using a .32-40 for silhouette.  He was using a very fast twist and heavy bullets.  If I remember correctly, the twist was something like 1:8! 

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Col Shooters Ram is our Club Ram hung on swingers at 200 yards. Standard Lever Silhouette distance. His 32/40 CPA is perhaps the most accurate rifle shooting that match.   

32/40 hits it nice but bullet is so small you can loose strikes when the spotters can't see it.  Get 3 or 4 good shooters on a relay 30 plus hits lot of paint gets chipped off. 32/40 170 gr fixed won't make it ring or swing and often a hit is lost.

On neck tension. I am sure it's real important, just can't prove it or have any idea of how to measure neck pull cartridge to cartridge. You can feel inconsistency in the loading press or consistency if things work like they should

My 38/55 fixed use the same method Col Native does. And the 300 gr 38 makes the Ram jump when hit. No targets lost to blind spotters

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2013 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
When colo-native mentioned 'rams' (plural), thought he was talking silhouettes. 

Have a CH4 bushing-type neck tensioning die that I've tried on the 38cal. Have found it to be detrimental to accuracy when used at 0.400" & 0.401" on the outside of the loaded case neck. Am going to order up a set of 0.402" & 0.403" bushings to try. If nothing more, will result in a more perfectly round cartridge.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2013 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
SSShooter,

If you are sizing the neck with a lead bullet in the case, remember that lead will not spring back like the brass will after sizing.  The neck tension needs to be figured into the brass sizing before the bullets get seated.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

rr2241tx

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
By no means do I claim to be an expert but here's the results I got Monday.  Rifle: 1874 Shiloh Sharps, Badger Barrel, 40-65 Winchester chamber, short leade.  Brass: Reformed WCC 67 45-70 fully fireformed, annealed and trimmed, etc.  Load: 65.2 +/- 0.1 gr Goex Olde Eynsford FF(g) drop tubed, 0.019 card wad, compressed 0.520 below case mouth.  Bullet: 420 gr Paul Jones 40001 with half thickness first driving band, cast 30:1. Lube: Emmerts.  Bullet was seated against the wad to set the case mouth mid way down the second driving band, leaving the second driving band about 0.050 off the lands.  10 shots were fired with slip fitted bullets, one fouler, wiped with RV antifreeze mix, at one of the ASSRA 200 yard iron sight targets at 200 meters.  The barrel was cleaned, the sights lowered 3 minutes to separate the groups, another 10 shots at the same target except these had been neck sized then expanded with a 409-411 plug and seated with the seating die set to just straighten the slight flare in the case mouth.  Again, one fouler, then an RV antifreeze wipe between shots.  All shots prone off crossed sticks, iron sights.  Without neck tension the group was about 8 inches, with neck tension about 2 inches.  Certainly not all that impressive for a schuetzen match but I was trying out my new powder and the theory that slip fit bullets might be more accurate in my BPCR rifle.  They weren't.  Your mileage will vary.

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #13 - May 28th, 2013 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
rr,

I see a benefit from slip fit with relatively tight necked chambers and necks that have been turned to give almost zero difference between the chamber diameter and the case neck OD. (Sorry for the run-on sentence. I'm wincing from Sister Mary Helen's ruler on my knuckles even now. It's been...60 years?)

I've always assumed that light tension would be less likely to distort the bullet during seating than heavy tension would. I would also like to add that I lap moulds that aren't perfectly round. I think that this may help keep the tension uniform.

Tom

IP Logged

rr2241tx

Reply #14 - May 29th, 2013 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Dr. Tom, I believe you are correct.  The gentleman who suggested that I try slip fitting has a Browning BPCR 40-65 and did neck turn his brass to get it to chamber.  The neck on my chamber is nowhere near as tight as his.  My fireformed brass will easily accept a .410 bullet base.  My expander plug leaves the brass .411 at the mouth and .409 in the neck which results in a theoretical 0.001 interference fit.  I doubt that swaging my bullets in the bullet seating die has a beneficial effect but having them held concentric to the bore obviously does have a measurable effect on precision.  I had previously shown myself that any amount of crimping was detrimental to precision when shooting soft lead bullets, which is why I now only straighten the mouth to touch the driving band  

Another knowledgeable mentor suggested to me that my schuetzen rifle might work better if I flared the mouth of the case some to assist in sealing the chamber when breech seating.  I have yet to quantify the results but it did stop blowing soot back into the chamber and made seating subsequent cases much easier during the match.  I might try leaving the slight flare on the mouth of my BPCR rounds too if I can get them to chamber without too much effort.  That Sharps breech block is really intolerant of incompletely chambered rims.  That is my fault though as I had the finish reaming done to my specification and there is essentially zero headspace with my brass.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2013 at 11:34am by rr2241tx »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint