Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .25 (Read 10189 times)
rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Re: .25
Reply #15 - May 13th, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on May 13th, 2013 at 6:51pm:
rkaires wrote on May 13th, 2013 at 2:15pm:
I'm in touch with Willis to have him build me one of his Pope style lube pumps.

Interesting. Got a pic you can post his pump? Any idea on cost?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

No idea on the cost yet.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #16 - May 14th, 2013 at 8:22am
Print Post  
I used Javalina for years right up until Alox stopped manufacturing the main ingredient. It is now made by a different company and something is different. I always pan lubed mine as I experimented using it with a pump and found it quite messy. It was good lube but you have to be careful about heat and after a season it will get tired, Then the old batch needs to be discarded and fresh lube used. 
  When I stopped with Javalina I went to SPG while expensive it is consistent and never seems to break down or get tired. It works better as a pan lube than a pump lube. Its downfall is it's sensitivity to temperatures. Some have reported that on hot days the lube will become soft enough to start to run off. The practice of transporting lubed bullets in a small cooler was the solution. 
  About 2 years ago I got crazy and decided to develop my own lube formula. My goal was to make a lube that was consistent, gave no leading, and had a higher melting point than SPG or Smiley's formula. What I came up with I named Dapper Dan. I tested it up to 1800 FPS and it gave me no leading. I have been using the same batch for 2 years now and It shows no signs of breakdown. It will barely melt in a double boiler but it's like watching paint dry. I now put it in the oven at 250 degrees and it melts faster. If you are interested the formula is in the Lube section of the Forum.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 14th, 2013 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I haven't seen any difference in Javelina Schuetzen Lube after the Alox formula was changed. It works from below freezing to well over 100 degrees. I've used it in that temperature range with no leading and great accuracy. It does need to be melted in a double boiler or the lube will scorch. 

I started using Javelina Schuetzen Lube (from Chuck Cleave) with the original Alox formula and kept using it even when the Alox formula changed. I have never thrown any out- just keep adding to it as I need more. 

These are my personal experiences with JSL. YMMV.

Jerry_H

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 14th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
The original Smiley lube that I use was purchased in about 1995-6. But sat unused until 3 years ago when I started back shooting and has not changed in those 3 years of use other than adding to it from the original batch. I've run it up to 16.6 gr 4227 (1670 fps) with a 190 gr 32 cal bullet (PB, no wad) w/o leading of any kind.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - May 14th, 2013 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
    Same here, I'm still using Smiley's schuetzen lube that I bought from Jesse & it still works fine. Maybe they reformulated Javalina & not the schuetzen lube. If I remember correctly; Javalina is the NRA formula of 50%BW / 50%A, where schuetzen is 25%BW / 75%A. Maybe the bees wax being an organic material, breaks down sooner.             ...MIKE...

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:06am
Print Post  

Mike -- You are absolutely correct about the NRA Formula of 50% (A) & 50% (B.W.) bullet lube being out there for every-one's use.  It is in the public domain, and was proven first by the NRA Folks as being highly effective with cast lead bullets.  So no matter what the packaging label calls it, it belongs to everyone who would care to make in their kitchen, or alternatively, some business establishment that makes it and sells it.   No big mystery to me.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #21 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote]This is not the original Javelina Bullet Lube business founded by Jesse Smiley, the original Javelina Lube business was purchased by a member of this forum. The Previous owners Jesse Smiley and Chuck Cleave were dear friends of mine as well as is the current owner. For what is worth I believe this NY company is a label grabber.

The word " JAVELINA  "means an animal that lives in the southwest part of the U.S. (Texas primarily) down to South America.  It is a pig like critter, fairly large, with sharp tusks and eats the cactus plant.

The word preceded its use to name a bullet lube and is used to describe sports teams and many, many additional things and activities.  It is not copyrighted and not proprietary.   

"Label Grabbing", I don't think so.  Apologies are probably indicated in the name of civility and good sportsmanship. 

C.M.M.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - May 15th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
CCM I find your comments to be inappropriate by not being aware
of all of the facts and thus the apology would be owed by you.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 15th, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
CMM,
Label grabbing is when someone takes monetary advantage of a established product to by pass the work it took to make a market for it and that cuts into the business and profits that the originator worked so hard to obtain.

Not to mention the negative effect it has on the original product when the formula is changed by the "want to be" copier. By this thread, we can see that the "infringer" has changed what he is calling Javelina Schuetzen Lube and that CAN NOT be good. 

If you have any respect for the pioneers of the sport, you would have no tolerance for people like that!!!

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 15th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
ADDED:
By your comments, it would be perfectly alright to sell barrels and put Harry Pope name on them and not say that they aren't original. Correct?

If not, please tell us why that wouldn't be ok and relate it the selling of the lube.

I've never read that Harry Pope name was copyrighted. Any business name can legally be used if it isn't copyrighted.

But, if your in agreement that anyone can use any name they want and sell products in that name, please contact me, as I can stamp Harry name on a old barrel that I have and give you a good deal on it Smiley

Frank
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2013 at 12:58pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 15th, 2013 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Go back and look at the Handloader Magazine in the 80's and earlier and you will find it advertised in everyone, along with the registered trademark and logo.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2013 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Thank you, John. That does solve the problem Smiley

Frank
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2013 at 1:05pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM