Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .25 Krag progress (Read 17992 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .25 Krag progress
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Boats, just for a reference, here's what I use in my Borchardt with the 100 Nosler BT. 41 grains of IMR 4350 for 2832 fps or 41 grains of H414 for 2984 fps. Never played with lighter bullets as I intended to use it for antelope.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 17th, 2013 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Thanks that's a good point of reference.

I found out one thing the hard way,  33 of 2520 seems to be a good starting full load with 87 gr Varmint bullets primers start to flatten out not excessive.

Backed off 10 % and loaded 10 117 grainers. Too hot first one primer pierced. Did not shoot the other 9. Driving home from the range started thinking 87 to 117 is 1/3 increase in bullet weight. Pulling the other 9 bullet pull is real stiff.  117's have twice as much bullet in the neck as the 87's which no doubt increases pressure too.

The heavy bullets need slower powder too, 3 gun shops all over the Internet no 4350 to be had. Going to look for some alternates same burn rate like your recommended H414

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 17th, 2013 at 9:00am
Print Post  
One at a Time

Gave the Internet one more try, instead of looking at my usual suppliers just looked for power for sale by name.

Never knew Brownells sold powder.  Out of almost everything. Had 3 lbs of H414. Looked in "propellant profiles" it's burn rate is just a bit slower than 4350 and being a spherical powder ought to measure.  3 lbs 200 Sierra 117 flat base 200 Sierra 117 boat tails am in business.

Fire forming loads 87 gr bullets bench rest, 12 lb CPA Unertl 10x it's ridiculously easy to hit our club steel swingers at Silhouette distances. Windy day to did some holding off.   200 300 385 Meters. I have no plans to shoot game at 385 but nice to know it will hit center at distance. 

Boats

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Boats
Brownells bought out  Crow Shooting Supply, I had worked there for ten years after retirement. Crow's had some of everything you needed for ammo and reloading. They sold to Midway, Brownells, Graff and others. 
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Here are a couple of photos, big departure from my other CPA's  It's going to spend most of it's time BPCS with the 40/65 barrel. One or two Deer and Varmint Hunts a year with the .25 Krag  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chamber cast, formed, fire formed & loaded. 3 bullets 87 & 2 117's

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Have to figure out that beavertail forearm.  Some look nice most not so nice. It is a good handle. Been on the bench to get loads and sight's once set it will only be shot off X Sticks or that  Protekor Window Bag.  Handy you can throw them over anything & get a consistent uniform rest.

Boats
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2013 at 12:19pm by boats »  

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - May 18th, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Boats: You metioned that you are seating the projectiles to "touch" the lands. That would be correct for a BP cartridge firearm with lead bullets. In  smokeless the jacketed projectile needs to jump a little .003 to .010. That will reduce pressure and strain on the firearm. Teqnique for smokeless and BP is different. But then you already know this.....

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 18th, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Guess I knew that but did not think of it.  Was surprised by the pressure first full power loads. Now that a proper powder is on the way will pay more  Attention to the seating depth and back off just a bit on O/L length.  

Idea is to get a standard dimension for all 3 possible bullets. I dropped all 3 in a Drill Gauge hole miked the protrusion and seems all the Sierras have the same nose shape. Heavy longer than the lighter ones on the base end.

Frank sent me a nice supply of brass. Some with interesting Head stamps.  .30 USA .30 Army .30 Gvt.
Be good way to keep the different bullet cartridges separate

Boats

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2013 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I had a hiwall in 25 Krag Ackley Improved many years ago. I used the 117 gr. for deer and the 87 gr. for smaller critters. It was very easy to get 3000 out of the 117 gr. but I saw no need as I thought ballel erosion would resultwith the faster stuff.  87 gr. I was in the neighborhood of 3300 fps. The tables I was using far outstripped the 25 Weatherby... It was in some published book like Rifles of the World or something back in the 60's.
Don

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 31st, 2013 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Back at the Range this week with fire formed cases proper slower powder, H 414, and 117 gr Boat Tails. Primed cases threw the charges and seated bullets on the firing line moving up charges half a grain at a time.

Getting more pressure than I should with lighter loads than 250/3000 data. Primers are starting to flatten at 29 grs 250/3000 data smaller case capacity shows 34 grs as starting with the same bullet

When forming cases outside neck turned just a bit, to even things up.  Cutter took off half a turn of brass down some from the mouth. cut whole turns near the shoulder. Very little material taken off.

Back home I miked a dummy round loaded O/D .287. Fired Case is also .287 .  My Cerrosafe cast shows .290 should be plenty of clearance however the rifle chambers and extracts hard.

Friend of mine with more experience in High power wildcats than me said the fired case neck needs a bit more expand and spring back, should end up .001 or ever .002 larger-after it's been fired than a loaded round. Tight neck causes more pressure.

Am going to turn a bit more off the neck wall thickness see what happens. 

Any opinions  or other ideas ?

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 31st, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Color your tight cases with a felt tip marker then chamber and extract a bunch of times. It should show up the problem area. Sounds like your neck has plenty of clearance. What is the diameter of the shoulder and base?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 31st, 2013 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Frank, 

Will mike further down the case compare fired with sized and let you know. Also polish the necks and mark up to witness hangs.

Those cases you sent me ? I separated dozen of the .30 USA head stamp to try.  Out of the F/L sizer die they would not chamber hanging about 1/2 up from the rim. With the CPA barrel off they would chamber when tapped with a wood mallet, had to be lightly tapped out with the cleaning rod. Miked they were just a bit fatter than the new WW cases.  Made a mandrill chucked up 3 of them in the lathe and relived the case about .002  bottom half inch and they chambered just fine. Very little material taken off, Some fine paper no way to even tell they have been turned. Did not have any sticky chamber or extraction problems when running fire form loads in the turned .30 USA. Be interesting to see  how they do with full power loads.

What with the reamer from one supplier sizing die from another no rule things have to work like a factory round.  Get the cases right normal practice  with a bolt action is case body needs no further attention. Perhaps not so with a weak extracting single shot.  CPA crams one in easy extraction is another matter not as strong as a bolt rifle. When I say sticky you can open with the leaver and extract it's just harder than you would expect.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 31st, 2013 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Miked the bases at all about the same fired & F/L sized Cerrosafe is about .0015 larger at the base than a fired case

Guess the only real way to tell is turn a few necks see what happens.  Don't have a ball mike, Col Native is loaning me one at Sat's SS match. I figure turning off .001 will result in .002 more clearance at the neck. Run 3 turned more through the gun may show something

On the powder charge, I am interpolating 250/3000 and .257 Roberts data to come up with expected. Only hard data I have for the .25 Krag is One at a Times 41 grs of 4350 100 gr bullet.  No standard case for the 25 Krag his may be very different than mine.

Thing about my 25 K is neck is real long uses up a lot of the bullet while the 250/3000 or 257 R have short necks and no doubt less neck pull. I did not chronograph, 29 grs of H 414 may be giving acceptable velocity

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - May 31st, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
You should be able to use, at least starting loads for the 257 Roberts. I have New 257 Roberts cases. I'll measure the water capacity in grains  to the top of the case and you measure some of your FL sized cases.

I believe that is the best way to decide how close to Roberts loads that you can use.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - May 31st, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Boats, have you turned off .005 or .010 off the base of the size die, some times it helps...if you have a tite chamber...   trig it out.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - May 31st, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Mike 

I tried that dodge the quick and dirty way. Pushed the case all the way up in the die with a washer over top of the shell holder. It did size the "fat" case down to fit but still a little tight. About the same effect as taping one in the CPA barrel with a wood mallet.  Base thickness only cases that were tight are the .30 USA

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint