Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .25 Krag progress (Read 17959 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

.25 Krag progress
May 10th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Ups shows up at 5 pm with the Neck turner Pilot from Brownells. Hour later I have a perfect loaded dummy round.  So it goes like this

All trips though the dies lubed with Imperial Wax

.30 US down to 7mm Neck only
Down to 6.5 mm Neck only
Down to 25 caliber Neck only
Expand the neck in the .25 Krag F/L sizer die
Lightly trim to even up case mouth
Chamber the inside De-burr the outside
Turn about .002 off with the Sinclar Neck Turn tool
Push the case in the chamber just to be sure.
Load a jacketed bullet, chambers just fine

End result is good enough to fire a 90 % charged case with the proper bullet. Going to work up 10 for the range.

I have to decide how long to leave the necks. Krags have long necks and my rifle will chamber a case necked down to .25 with little to no neck trim. To my Eye 117 gr bullet seated to touch the lands has a lot covered by the neck still keeping the boat tail fully inside the neck. Have to load some dummies for the 87 gr bullet and a 117 flat base, see how they look

.257 Roberts cartridges I have seen also look like a lot of bullet inside

Any and all advice appreciated

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .25 Krag progress
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2013 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
You can send a case to Hornady and they will d&t the case head to fit their Stoney Point chamber measuring tool. Great device for figuring out seating depth for all your bullets. Allows you to set the jump or jam, whichever works best for the load. They have another tool that fits on your caliper to measure the distance to the bullet ogive for consistent length measurement, as measuring COAL is quite inconsistent. 
But, you probably know all of this.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2013 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Have seen that tool advertised, may be the way to go when I start finial loading. Have 20 loaded up for fire forming, used a 3/4 load taken from .243 data, about the same case capacity. Forming no bullet was not a success.

I figured out the shoulder is a bit shorter than the chamber, after cases are fire formed it's going to move forward and have the effect of making the neck shorter, from the back end. 

Other thing is to outside turn the necks or not.  They will chamber neck sized expanded with the expander ball and bullet seated.  Next step is to mike a fired case and see how much room there is.  Can't outside neck turn until the case is fire formed, cut too far back the turn ends up as part of the shoulder. If it needs it at all not going to be much.

These old varmint calibers in single shots are not like anything else we do.   

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2013 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Rather than fire-forming with smokeless, have you given any thought to fire-forming with BP? Anneal the case neck first. No over-pressure possibility with BP. Have read that short loads of smokeless can lead to detonation rather than the powder burning.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2013 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Black may work will see how the smokeless works this morning. Loads I have in the cases now are about 3/4 case filling. ACC 2520 some old powder I need to use up. Have used it in less than case full .308 loads in the past no problems with it.

Ken Waters old Handloader article recommends 4350 as optional for the .25 Krag same powder recommended by Ackley.  4350 slower than Varget which I am using for all bottleneck cases full loads currently.  Will keep my eyes open for some 4350. Meanwhile & once formed Varget will be the powder

I don't plan to use Ackley charge data 

Boats

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2013 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Boats, try 10 grains UNIQUE, then fill case with corn meal, and put a dab of parrafin in the case mouth. That is what I used. Later, JAP

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2013 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Boats,
Try forming one case using either 12 gr of Red Dot or 14 gr of Unique. Fill to top with C of W and cap it off with a grease wad. Any kind of thick grease will do (even Crisco), I use bullet lube. It should leave nice crisp corners in the neck and shoulder.

If you have a ball mic, check the neck thickness and if it doesn't vary and the bullet will chamber, there is no need to neck turn.

One other thing...... if your using a 14 twist, I don't think it will stabilize a 117 FB or BT spitzer. I have Sierra's FB and they are 1.09 long. The stabilazation programs say that it won't do it in a 14 twist. Let me know if they are right.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Frank & Moody, I used 5 of Unique and filled the case with Grits,topped off with a wax wad. No shoulder expansion, might try it again with more Unique. In the South there is no cream of wheat plenty of grits.

Wish I had a ball mic but don't. I turned one case, Tool trims off and evens up nice but until I know how much neck to turn best not to.  Would rather leave the neck thickness alone. Bought that Sinclar turner years ago to make 7mm08 from .308 and never used it they fit fine with no turning

This barrel is a 10 twist. Quite a bit on the .25 Krag if you look around "Yours Truly" by Harvey Donaldson several letters on the 25's and twist.

Boats
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2013 at 12:31pm by boats »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I've studied the 25 Krag for a lot of years after I got those cases. I always wanted to build one, as I have a HW in 30/40 but, I've got bolts in 243, 6mm, 6mm Imp and and Mauser in 257 Roberts so, I never got around to it. It's a wonderful SS caliber and Ackley had 2 improved versions of it, of which he liked his shorter one the best. I'm glad you've built it, I'd like to hear a lot more about it as you progress. Smiley

For loading data, you can use standard 6mm Rem loads. H414 gave me my best accuracy in 6mm with both 85 & 100gr bullets but, 4895, Varget or RL15 should do very well for the 87 gr bullets.

And, you need to shoot it in the Quarter bore matches as, Ken has never had one compete Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Frank

One of our club members has a CPA 25/35 barrel, he's working up cast bullet loads for it now. Anxious to get the Krag going with Jacketed then will give some of his cast 120 gr 25's a try. We may well enter some 1/4 bore matches. I doubt the large case will shoot with his 25/35 but you never know 

Ackley calls for 50 of 4350 as a starting load in his Improved Krag 100 gr bullet 3000 fps  Like you I think one of the faster powders probably best for the 87's slower for the 117's  Waters has always given good advice and his powder recomendation is 4350 for both

I have no plans for real speed just want good flat shooting game loads.  3000 fps with the 117 would be fine with me, May want the 87 to go faster

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2013 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Back from the range perfect fire form.  Load up 20 more to form take the formed 20 and start working up full power loads.

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2013 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on May 13th, 2013 at 12:18pm:

Bought that Sinclar turner years ago to make 7mm08 from .308 and never used it they fit fine with no turning
Boats

I have one that we made in a local machine shop (couldn't stand the price of a new one).

I have a 6ppc with a .264 diameter chamber neck.  UNneck-turned cases won't chamber.  The routine then is to neck turn so that the loaded round is .001" smaller in diameter (.263) so that it chambers.  (Bench-rest gun.)  The obvious danger is build up of crud could increase pressures dramatically.

I have outside neck turned a number of .308's.  Take just a little off - not even a full turn - just enough to even it out.  Then with the Wilson neck size bushing, size the neck only 1/2way down the neck - that leaves 1/2 the neck at maximum diameter to help center the case in the chamber.   

(just one way of doing it, there are others that have value as well)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2013 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on May 13th, 2013 at 8:26pm:
Back from the range perfect fire form.  Load up 20 more to form take the formed 20 and start working up full power loads.

Boats

How many grains of powder?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Boats, if ya need a  ball mike I have a couple ya can use, let me kno and I'll get em to ya sat,   need to kno by thur......... ot fri  am....

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2013 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Finished up my fire forming and have some rough sights at distance.

Col-Native on the ball mike. Like to borrow it but won't be at the Match Sat. I found the cases chamber fine with no neck turning. Suspect they could be evened up. Am going to final trim chamfer etc slight turn may be good.

On the Powder Charge.  Don't like to call it guess work interpolation is perhaps the better term. You do have to do some guessing. Very little publised data on the .25 Krag most from Akley If you consider Case capacity and bore size .250/3000 published loads ought to be light. 257 Roberts loads ought to be Max.  30/40 is about the same case capacity as .308 & there is plenty of data on the 308 cases. 6mm Rem .243 25 Souper 260 Rem 7mm08 etc.

I used a light 250/3000 load with a powder that is similar in burn rate to published.  Another set of problems, you can't buy powders you want have to use powders you have on hand.

Table of sights using 87 Gr spire points and fire forming loads. 30 grs of ACC 2520 100=0 200=2moa 300=4moa 385=9moa  This equates to about 2700-2800 fps.  like to get 3000+ with the 87 gr bullet 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint