Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trying for some additional info, and an intro.... (Read 16966 times)
Richinsd

Re: Trying for some additional info, and an intro....
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 8:18am
Print Post  
TexasRedneck:

It appears to be an AYDT swinging block according to Frank  de Haas - Single Shot Rifles and Actions- Gun Digest 1969

If you are interested, I could copy the info  and send it.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Richinsd wrote on Oct 13th, 2014 at 8:18am:
TexasRedneck:

It appears to be an AYDT swinging block according to Frank  de Haas - Single Shot Rifles and Actions- Gun Digest 1969

If you are interested, I could copy the info  and send it.

Looks like a plain Jane version of the AYDT I had.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
It's a Buchel Meister not a an Aydt if you go to Biggi's web page she has a lot of German rifles pictured and if you can read German or if there is translation app there is a bunch of info on this site. Maybe someone can put up a link to Biggi's web page I don't know how.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Longdistance1 wrote on Oct 13th, 2014 at 10:12pm:
It's a Buchel Meister not a an Aydt if you go to Biggi's web page she has a lot of German rifles pictured

Well, I guess it looks a little different than my Aydt  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
It's a rolling block. They shot buffalo's with those.  No, it's a flying squirrel gun from Austria. That's what it is. Roll Eyes

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Texas red neck I sent you a PM. I am close by and have two of these rifles and all the proper equipment to load. Let me know if I can help.
Tom

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
For accurate shooting a good chamber cast is mandatory.  There  were a lot of minor variations on the basic 8.15x46 rimmed case since many of the guns were bought as action or barreled action and then  assembled and stocked to the customer's personal dimensions.  The Germans mostly purchased bullets from supply houses that cast/swedged and lubed them.  Catalogues that I have seen from those companies show hundreds of variations.  If you can get a case and bullet design that will fit your specific chamber/bore/throat properly (and if the bore is good) it should be capable of good accuracy.

Those style rifles are stocked for offhand shooting. With accurate loads and good sights, in the hands of a good offhand rifleman who fits the stock properly it should be capable of 3 or4 MOA or better.

Since your barrel has the dovetail rib on the top flat you won't have to D/T a nice antique rifle for modern mounts. One of our "supporting" machinist/artist/magicians, Steve Earle has designed a clamp-on base that allows one to use target scopes.   There are a few specialized sources for the "correct" (and not inexpensive) rear sights for a rifle of that type.

That kind of unique germanic sporting rifle is relatively uncommon though not truly "rare". They were were formal target rifles and probably already several generations old when they were "confiscated" by the GIs  and brought back as souvenirs.
   Unless they are completely intact with their original sights (rear sights are most commonly missing and the very very fine pinhead front sights are often broken off) rifles in good condition can  be had for 1000 +/- a few hundred. Condition of course is key.
With complete original sights, that price might double. Fancy elegantly carved wood, quality engraving etc can add even more.
The key in most oddball gun deals is the willing buyer willing seller thing.  Another especially for a shooter is how well the stock "fits".

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2014 at 7:53pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint