Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 22 Rim Fire 5 Shot Group Record (Read 609 times)
mes
Senior Forum Member

22 Rim Fire 5 Shot Group Record
Apr 2nd, 2013 at 10:59am
Print Post  
A .22 bench rest record 5 shot group was shot at a Florida Schuetzen Society match on 16 March 2013 by Robert Carow.  The rifle was a Maynard model 15 shooting Eley black box ammo.  The group measured .368.  Congratulations to Bob on a fine group.

Bob Carow target
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It was to be a very short lived record.  On the very next relay Jeff Ehrlich shooting a BSA MK2, Unertl 20x Programmer, with Eley Black Box Match ammo shot a target measuring .2368.  Congratulations to Jeff on a group that should remain a record a bit longer than one relay.

Jeff Ehrlich target

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:41pm by mes »  

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Re: 22 Rim Fire 5 Shot Group Record
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Bob,
Great shooting by both of you! Jeff brought the targets to Wheaton so a bunch of us got to hear the story up close and personal. Congratulations on some fine shooting!

Matt

GTalk  
IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
There was some question about the use of .224 for the bore size of Jeff's BSA.  I asked Jeff what the bore slugged at. His reply below.

I slugged the bore for correct dimension and got .2232, not .224 so I guess you would have to add an additional .008 to the group size, making the group .2368, not .236.  (still under a quarter of an inch!)

Jeff

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
This will not fit in one post therefore, 3 posts.

Magic Martini beats Magic Maynard
By Robert Carow

Ever since I bought the “Magic Maynard”, I realized the rifle was as good as I would ever get and that I was the one who needed to learn to shoot better to really see what it could do. I have tried putting together other rifles, but why bother, when it is so much better than I can shoot. Joe Ruth sold me the rifle at the Louisville gun show as I was leaving, with a “can’t refuse price.”

It reposed on my gun rack for two years, and I reluctantly took it to Aurora IL where we used to hold several hundred yard schuetzen fests. At the time it was one of the few 22 rim fire matches I shot. 

My go to, .22, a Ballard had a problem so I took out the Maynard and tried to sight it in. I hit the target on the first attempt, after bore sighting, an almost impossible task with a Maynard, since you can only look down the bbl easily with the whole assembly removed from the action/stock. 

I was shooting next to Jeff Ehrlich and complaining I had only one shot on the target and didn’t know where it was shooting. It had a 12 lb trigger pull and that was tough. Jeff said; “shoot again, I will watch”. I did, and he said “do it again”! I did and he said they are going through the same hole. I then shot a pretty good score coming in second to one of the .22 hot shots at the match. Later I came in with another second at Etna Green, also to another hot shot, Charlie Persons, who beat me with a rifle I sold him. 

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2013 at 7:09pm by mes »  

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Realizing this was no ordinary rifle I proceeded to lighten the trigger and spend time getting the feel of this old piece of iron. It is a #15 1882 model Maynard, relined by an unknown maker with an unknown liner. Wgt of the bbl is about a #2 round Winchester. It is otherwise a standard straight grip model # 15 Maynard. I have won several matches with it and shot a .450 group with it a few years ago. However the group had 4 shots under .2 with one wide shot. The scope was a 20x Unertl 1/12”with very light crosshairs and a lee dot. I  have shot numerous one hole groups with it at 50 yds and have bested top rated 22 bolt actions with it on occasion. 

This year at the March schuetzenfest of the Florida schuetzenverein, Jeff Ehrlich makes a yearly visit to get out of the cold of IL for a few days. He has our president, Bob Glenn take his shooting gear including his BSA to Florida, in his motorhome, to be ready when he comes down.

Jeff originally got the BSA from an old member, John Sabonis  , who often had gatherings of Joliet shooters at his garage, meeting and trading old stories on shooting.. When John died, Jeff bought the rifle and shot it from time to time, never really realizing it’s true potential either, until a few years ago, when he shot his first five shots at a 200 yard target into the same hole at Etna Green, with the aforementioned 22 King, Charlie Persons observing. He shot a score of 246. It is a Mark II with a light bbl. Standard looking all the way. He also used a 20x 11/2 Unertl. 
This year, early Saturday morning with hardly any wind, on my 80th birthday, I started shooting my Maynard and shot my first group match at 100 yds. The Palm Bay match conforms to ASSRA rules and targets, except the entries are limited to only two targets rather than unlimited. So you have only two chances to do well.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
My first target was terrible, so without finishing it, I put two ribbons on the frame, to detect the wind, which I thought was non-existent. I shot when the ribbons hung down and held up when they tilted a bit. This was similar to the time two years ago, when I shot the .450 group . I shot fast, during a lull and five shots all were touching. I assumed a good target, which later measured .367. I used Eley Black Box, unweighed and not checked for bullet concentricity.

Jeff then shot his group and it looked good, also, that measured .244 when we retrieved it. He shot fast too, during another lull. After returning home the next day, we looked up the records in the recent ASSRA  Journal and saw we set new records. Mine first, then Jeff beating mine. He also shot Eley Black Box, but weighed and checked for concentricity.

The next relay I put on a lower power 10x scope and shot an offhand match with the rifle. I broke 200 with a 201, which I rarely do these days. Old age hurting my offhand scores.

To add “insult to injury”, Jeff asked to borrow the Maynard because the BSA is not suited to offhand. He promptly shot a 204 beating me with my own rifle!

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
SUPER!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratz to both of you!  
Great shooting with really good guns by talented guys who know how to do it right.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

usmc69
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Where are you guys shooting?

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I'm a bit confused on your 'group size'.  Anyone care to explain how these were done and what the numbers signify.   
I have measured plenty of groups for my own work and I would not have come up with the aforementioned numbers.   Huh Huh
Thanks for any help here.

Cary

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Group size less bullet diameter. Are you by chance looking at the sighter target?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint