Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hepburn (Read 50404 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Hepburn
Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Here is my recently refurbished Hepburn.
Wood from CPA, fitted & finished by Millard Hixson.
Original 40-65 barrel lined with a TJ liner by John Taylor.
Case-color by Classic Gun Ltd.
Engraving (excellent) & bluing (poor - must be redone) by Dale Woody.
Rear sight by Kermit Hoke & front by Lee Shaver.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:22am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Hepburn
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I am glad you volunteered Joe to do the checkering. I hear you can do a pretty good job. Post some photos of your checkering.

I think that dark wood and case coloring will look real nice out in the sunlight.

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
contact Tim Smith-Lyons,  member and does a great job

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Plan to have it checkered next year while I have the sorry job of bluing redone. Am taking bids if anyone is interested in the work. Wink Should have the new mould (BACo 400gr M4) by the end of the week, so will be putting some lead down-range next week, weather permitting. May shoot it with the 28" MVA scope just to add another pound of weight. Only weighs 10#. Am starting to think deer.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Looks pretty nice! Can we have a closeup of Dale's engraving? Had Dale do my Hepburn also, and he did engraving, bluing, and casehardening. All turned out super on mine.

Nevermind; saw it on your other post. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:54pm by marlinguy »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:42pm:
Really begging for some checkering.
         Joe.  Smiley

You are correct and here it is. Had it checkered last winter (difficult to see, but is traditional Hepburn with ~1/2" uncheckered wood between the panels on either side of the forearm & pistol grip), along with a new 32" GM barrel with a Win 3 1/2 profile and 14.5" twist. Did not care for the light weight and the new barrel added about 1.5#, which is much better. Have started to learn to shoot it (the checkering surely helps) and made AAA this past season with a couple of 2nd places at regional matches. Hoping to continue to improve in 2016. Is a terrific rifle.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2015 at 9:09pm by SSShooter »  

GTalk  
IP Logged

JWL

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Glen, love that Hepburn. Still thinking about a .44?

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Absolutely. Please don't let that 44-70 reamer go without thinking about me first. Wink
Have a 38-50 Hepburn to finish before I can start on the 44-70. Woody has the wood and the action goes out for case-color after the new year, so am hoping I'll have it all together by summer. Then I'll get the 44-70 'into the works'. 

GTalk  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Indeed. The 38-50 has maple wood that is out being checkered at the moment. It was a rifle that someone had "varmintized" into a .219Z at some point and lots of extra wood that was removed. Should have back by spring so can post some pic's.

Here's a better pic of the wood with the cheek piece removed. CPA provided a very nice chunk of timber. That's a Woody's Boxes 40cal cleaning rod thru the bore to measure so the comb height can be set on the maple stock going on Hepburn #2.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2015 at 7:06pm by SSShooter »  

GTalk  
IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
That is a very nice rifle, but I do have maybe a bit of a silly question. In the past I have, or at least I think that I  have seen people say that the Hepburn stock is not all that good for prone shooting and that it is a bit low. Your stock seems to solve that problem but I am just curious if it meets the guidelines to be silhouette legal.
Thanks
Sam

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
BPCR Rules for silhoutte stock:

(f) Stock: Forearm must be attached and shall be of traditional design not to exceed 2 inches in width, cannot extend below the line of the bottom of the receiver or base of trigger guard, and no attachments will be allowed on the forearm. Measured froth the centerline of the bore, the drop at the heel shall not exceed 2 3/4 inches; drop at toe shall not exceed 8 inches. No portion of the rifle stock behind the rifle action shall be higher than 3/4 inch below the centerline of the bore. The butt shall not be longer than 5 1/4 inches top to bottom. Cheek pieces are permitted, but no roll over. Pistol grips are permissible, but no flared or hand-contoured styles. Crescent-style buttplates are permissible, but cannot be over 1 1/8 inch deep when measured froth a straight line from points of the buttplate. Commercial recoil pads are permissible. Stocks and forearms must be made of natural wood and must be in keeping with designs of stocks of the era. (See Rule 3.18.)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
The green sticker is from the 2014 nationals. All rifles are weighed and have to fit in their jig, which measures the stock configuration. The original non-shotgun Hepburn stock likely would pass, but I find quite uncomfortable to shoot. To me, it is a real kicker with an almost crescent buttplate and too much drop. YMMV. From the first pic to the last I've taken about 1/2" off the comb.

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I don't mind the drop on an original Hepburn stock, but the very narrow buttplate is not comfortable in any heavier loads! Same for that buttplate on Rolling Block rifles. They are just too narrow to distribute the recoil over my shoulder, and I've had more than one occasion of a bruised shoulder from original Hepburn and Rolling Block buttplates when shooting.
I went with a larger checkered steel buttplate on my restoration, with a Crossno silhouette style stock, which is extremely comfortable, even with heavy .45-70 loads.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Getting close. The barrel is fitted and goes on this week, as should the wood.

GTalk  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Coming together. If this couple of feet of snow ever melts off, will get started on load-development. Probably won't get to checker until next fall. Probably take a bit more off the comb at that time.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint