Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hepburn (Read 50395 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Hepburn
Reply #30 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Hepburn, SSShooter.  You're right Dan (DZ Arms) does a beautiful job building his Hepburns.  Been drooling over them for a long time.  Have watched his process and been in his wood "vault".  Gorgeous stuff.  Can't wait to see yours when it's finished.  Love Hepburns.

Chris
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Been alerted that my Bartlein gain-twist 38cal barrel ships at the end of the month. Plan on the Hepburn Creedmoor rifle profile with the short octagon section. Another step in the process.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
OK......... Hepburn #3 (#3 for me, that is) is off to the engraver for a bit of work. Was almost sorry to polish this receiver as it still had about 50% of the original lacquer on it and probably 98% of the blue. Ah, well, it was converted to a 219 Zipper varmint rifle by someone and will be returned to something resembling the original configuration when it is finished. Have the original wood & barrel, so all is good. Case-color and screw-head restoration/bluing after the engraving.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

57thahc

Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
BOY OH BOY,if you just won this item,in Oct. I was bidding,but then my son-in-law asked to use my comp.when he was done,nothing worked RIGHT!!! It was a barreled action. Sad ??.Well at least it went to a good home, just picked up stocked action,have barrel 38-55. just not as GOOD a price. The son-in-law,4 grands,he puts up with my daugther and he is a DR. than shoots. Will keep him! Good shooting with that new Hepburn!! I dod believe it is a disease  Cool 57thahc

Turned in my M60 for a Martini!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Yep. A good disease, though.  Cheesy
No, purchased as a complete rifle about 2yr ago and just getting around to it after pretty much finishing up on Hepburn #2 (wood is being checkered and barrel lined - final steps) while I type. Reamer on the way to the g'smith. Hope to have everything back sometime after the new year.

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #35 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Nov 2nd, 2016 at 2:39pm:
OK......... Hepburn #3 (#3 for me, that is) is off to the engraver for a bit of work. Was almost sorry to polish this receiver as it still had about 50% of the original lacquer on it and probably 98% of the blue.

Didn't know Remington ever blued Hepburns, and wonder why they would put lacquer over bluing? Are you sure that was original?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Per Rowe's book, blued were quite rare. Perhaps I should have left well enough alone.  Cry However, having all ready been converted to a varmint rifle some time ago before I got it, the value as a collector's Hepburn was gone.

GTalk  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Otto Carter just sent this drawing of the engraving that he will cutting on the receiver he is doing for me. Should have it back for case-color by the end of the month.

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #38 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Those scratches on the receiver will show! Wink

Looks like a nice pattern!

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Love the pattern..............and am literally addicted to Hepburns like I am redheaded women!  Grin  Don't know which would turn my head quicker.  At least Hepburns don't usually have tempers.  Roll Eyes

Chris
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:48pm:
  Grin  Don't know which would turn my head quicker.  At least Hepburns don't usually have tempers.  Roll Eyes

And Hepburns cost less to obtain, and keep running too!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
My full coverage Stevens 44-1/2 Breisen also had all the screw heads clocked and engraved and a real nice added touch. It is not often seen and maybe something to also think about to add a little more charm to it all. If nothing else just having all the screws clocked seperates the custom from just not being so and if not it just simply becomes another everyday engraved action and not anything overly special.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 6:28pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Engraving is almost finished and is looking great. These guys are amazing and such terrific artists as well as craftsmen.

Should be off to have the various parts case-colored and rust blued next week.

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #43 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Beautiful, and delicate looking engraving! I like the pattern even more now that it's done!

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Very Nice, looking forward to seeing your pictures when all complete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint