Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) When to use/not-use magnum primers (Read 13242 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: When to use/not-use magnum primers
Reply #30 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
I have some small Vs large primer info in 32/40 , using Federal 30 American cases. For the  large primer Win. John Wayne cases.   

32/40, BS, 28" barrel
205 GC, 34 gr AA2520, F210 & 205M

10 shot strings

Small, 2167, SD 10.6, ES 31

Large, 2180, SD 12.8, ES 29 

Not much differance.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I did indeed try some SR in a handful of RC cases, unfortunately they all took a quick digger some only lasting one shot so that session was cut extremely short. Must not have been quite right for my chamber as they were made for a friends rifle. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Those BR2 primers are out of sight in price. Last I saw were $247/5K. Still, I'd like to try them when they're available again. I lucked up on finding the Federal 215 primers.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I fear the regular primers will be going up in price to the match primer price and of course the match primers will go up as well.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

CanoeRoller
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:50am
Print Post  
in the early rebirth of BP cartridges, Venturino and Garbe recommended Fed 215's because Goex was considered a difficult powder to ignite.  The quality and choice of Bp was very limited.  You had your choice of Goex, or Pyrodex if you could not get your hands on Goex.   
If you read equipment lists from the 1990's championships, nearly everyone used Goex and Federal 215's.  Just a few were using other primers, and only one I knew of was using pistol primers.
Other powders came into the market, such as Elephant, Swiss and Kik, the choices opened up. (Chances are Goex improved their quality a bit as well.)  This led to different experiments with primers, as the old, dirty hard to ignite Goex was no longer the only BP on the block.

Now the main goal is greater consistency from shot to shot, hence the move to things like Br2's, and the desire to ignite BP "gently" so the move to pistol primers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint