Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: THE 1/2" CHALLENGE (Read 37838 times)
Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Re: THE 1/2" CHALLENGE
Reply #75 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Very nice macca , especially being that it's repeatable. The swaged bullets we were talking about are swaged from extruded lead wire of the proper diameter for the bullet being swaged, most seem to believe that it has advantages over cast bullets because there are no air bubbles, dirt or voids in the bullet.

One of the differences in these new bullets is that the lube is impregnated into the lead and they may hold more lube than standard lube groove bullet. 

BTW, they can be bought for as little as .36 each, not .55 like John has said. There are three grades that the maker offers, Grade A, Grade AA, and Grade AAA. They are really the same bullets, the only difference is that the AAA Grade is weighted to +/-0 grains and the others are not, a shooter can buy the A Grade bullet at .36, or maybe even a bit less in quantity, that may vary +/- 0.2 grains, they can then weigh and sort their own AAA Grade bullets if the saving is important to them.

I can say this from experience, you can not buy cast bullets that will weigh anywhere near that close, I've tried just about every cast bullet offered for sale an the best of them would only shoot 1.75" to 2 inch groups, ok for tin cans but not really competitive for target shooting, finely started casting my own and the groups got smaller but most were not good enough to shoot center shots.

After I worked up a load with the swaged bullets I now very seldom get groups much over 1/2 inch and they are always under 1 inch. Now I feel I'm somewhat competitive.

John seems to worry that they are to expensive for new beginning shooters, but the scope he uses cost about as much as some rifles  Shocked   Roll Eyes, but he likes to say things like "I'm in it to win it", so the cost of what it takes to "win" may not matter to him, there a word a guys like that but I don't remember what it is, I think it starts with a H and ends with an e   Sad   Grin

That's it for me, guys can shoot to win, or shoot to just say they shot.
S T

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I've modified my post, it could be taken as an attack on an individual and the ASSRA, and that wasn't my intention.

dave   
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:56am by ssdave »  

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #77 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:04pm:
You know, the thing that some members of this board,  (one particularly member of this type is John Louis) don't always seem to understand is that it's a Single Shot Rifle Association, not the Serious Competitor Rifle Association to the exclusion of all others.

But one of the motivations to do extremely well are the Scheutzenmeisters that DON'T post the results of the matches because they aren't good enough!

Look at the last 6 matches I've shot.  (ahhh, you can't because only one or two of them were reported either on this board or in the Journal.)

Yes, that irritates me.  Because it is one of the MOST important things to be able to show to the people that I BRING to the matches to show them how I've improved over time and give them encouragement to continue.

<end of rant>

If John Lewis is a fanatic in the persuit of accuracy, that's good.  I likely will NEVER shoot as well as he does, but because of his penchant for accuracy I've examined my own methods and procedures and improved MY skills.

<end of 2nd rant>

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
"You know, the thing that some members of this board,  (one particularly member of this type is John Louis) don't always seem to understand is that it's a Single Shot Rifle Association, not the Serious Competitor Rifle Association to the exclusion of all others"

"There is a wide range of interests, with one central one being Schuetzen shooting.  Within that discipline, theres some that would exclude John, serious as he is, because he shoots bench instead of offhand, or shoots modern instead of traditional"

AND:
"If John Lewis is a fanatic in the persuit of accuracy, that's good"

I agree with both of you guys, I admire a shooter that is dedicated to the shooting sports, and I'm not saying that some are not honest in their efforts to do good,  but when someone makes comments like J. Louis does and carries on the way he does with the "I play to win" or the I'm in it to win it thing some will wonder just how far some will go to "win it"  Embarrassed

When I was in training they always hammered into you that it's not always just about winning, it's about winning fairly  Smiley

No disrespect John, but maybe you shouldn't have been so arrogant and direct about winning.
Embarrassed

Yes there should be room for all, not just the anything to win ones.
   S T 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
SS Dave by the life of me I sure would like to know where I excluded anyone who enjoys anything other than extreme accuracy. Please show me where I posted it on this site? I think you find just the opposite as I have clearly stated its not for everyone, some shoot for fun, some just like shoot the originals and others have other reasons and I support them all.There are some here whom pursue the same as I and that is the group I am posting to in an effort to be of some help. The problem lies in those who don't share the same interest and instead of moving onto another subject start a bunch of BS that isn't relevant to anything. Then there are those who know little, achieved little but say allot on how to go about doing what they themselves can't do. 

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Set Trigger it is a shame that you have to stoop to the point of calling me a cheater in your comment I would do anything to win. Nothing could be further from the truth. Think what you may and speak of what you know not and may those here judge you as person by your unfounded comments.

J.Louis

IP Logged

macca
Participating Member

Reply #81 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 3:22am
Print Post  
I get the best of both world, Wednesday and Friday afternoons practice the old retired farts like myself get to have pleasant social shoot with much banter. Twice an month we shoot Serious competition-one short range one long range. Still plenty of banter but still trying to win on the day.
I'd love to shoot swaged bullets but the cost of setting up out here is pretty outrageous. There are no swaged bullets for sale. So l will keep refining my casting methods and make the variances in my batches less
cheers macca Smiley

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I probably shouldn't be getting involved in this. S T and I are friends, let me be the first to say that he does get carried away at times, but I've never known him to say things that are not true and as most know will say what he thinks has to be said. I think I'm going to delete the message that I wrote for him, or if the mods think it's to harsh maybe they will delete it.

Sorry S T, your going to have to do this on your own.
  Regards
  H. M. Pope

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #83 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Cross your fingers that Dave Patterson doesn't show up. He doesn't hide and will take all the money. 

Joe G.   

But we would like to see targets from other shooters as well. I would like to see how well those swaged bullets do compared to my unweighed reject bullets with air pockets and rounded bases. I would agree to Joe B. changing the challenge to award the money for the smallest average group size demonstrated by averaging five groups shot in sequence on one target within one hour. This is really not about who is the best shooter; but trying to demonstrate to Joe B. what the capabilities of our cast bullet single shot rifles are.

Then maybe there will be more interest from new shooters on what is required to fine tune your rifle and yourself to achieve the same precision with your single shot rifle (regardless if it is a fully custom modern action or a traditional action).
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2013 at 3:14pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Dave at some point in time I will jump in on the fun as you have requested. Right now due to some serious health issues and some partial vision loss in my shooting eye and not being able to get out as often as I once did, I need to concentrate on trying to get myself back in the groove for the upcoming ISSA Regional the first weekend in May. After that event I would like to add to Dave's accomplishment and those yet to come with the exception of not wanting any money for doing so. The sole intent would be to encourage the new fellows to pursue getting everything they can out of both rifle and self. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #85 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 6:13am:
This includes all suggestions/complaints to date. The rules have to be finalized by 2/28/13 because the targets go out starting 3/1/13.
CHALLENGE
WHAT
NO TRICKS, SPIRIT OF THE CHALLENGE TRUMPS WRITTEN RULES
SHOOT FIVE, FIVE SHOT GROUPS, WITH
PLAIN-BASED CAST BULLETS, AT A
100 YARD OUTDOOR RANGE
IN ONE HOUR
BETWEEN 8 AM AND 6 PM, WITH
ASSRA LEGAL EQUIPMENT
ALL TARGETS, WITH FIVE 5 SHOT GROUPS TO BE RETURNED!!! IF YOUENTER, YOU AGREE TO SHOOT THE FIVE GROUPS AND RETURN THE TARGET!!!

HOW
THE SHOOTER SENDS A CHECK FOR $25 OR $50 OR $100 AND HIS/HER ADDRESS,
THEN RECEIVES A TARGET IN THE MAIL, WITH THE DATE MAILED NOTED ON THE TARGET
THE SHOOTER FIRES THE TARGET, MEASURES OR HAS MEASURED THE FIVE GROUP SIZES, AVERAGES THE FIVE AND RETURNS OR POSTMARKS THE TARGET WITHIN TWO WEEKS, (THREE WEEKS FOR CANADIANS) OF THE DATE MAILED
JOHN LOUIS REFEREES ALL GROUP SIZE QUESTIONS
SHOOTERS WHO MEET ALL THE RULES AND SHOOT A FIVE GROUP AVERAGE UNDER .500" RECEIVE THEIR CHECK AND A MATCHING CHECK
IF NOT, THE SHOOTER'S MONEY GOES IN THE KITTY

WHO
THE TARGET MUST BE SHOT AND SIGNED BY AN ASSRA MEMBER;  WITNESSED AND SIGNED BY ANOTHER ASSRA MEMBER
TARGETS WILL BE MAILED TO TWO SHOOTERS AT A TIME IN THE ORDER THAT THEIR CHECKS ARE RECEIVED

WHEN
MARCH 1 THROUGH DECEMBER 31 (DEC 31 TARGET POSTMARK) OR UNTIL I CHOOSE TO STOP
CHECK FOR ALL PROFITS TO ASSRA

PROFITS
SUM ALL SHOOTER'S CHECKS RECEIVED
LESS: SUM OF ALL CHECKS TO SHOOTERS
LESS: POSTAGE ETC. EXPENSES
= PROFITS

NOTE: SWAGED BULLETS MAY BE USED UNDER THE SAME RULES EXCEPT THAT FOR UNDER .500" SUBSTITUTE UNDER .400". 

YOUR CAPS-LOCK KEY IS STUCK!
It is MUCH easier to read using capitals and lower-case letters!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
YOUR CAPS-LOCK KEY IS STUCK!
It is MUCH easier to read using capitals and lower-case letters!

Cat_Whisperer,

I agree. If Joe B can't afford to buy a replacement keyboard to eliminate the stuck caps lock key, how is he going to be able to afford to pay out the prize money?    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #87 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Sometimes when I read one of Joe's post's, (not often) I wind up chasing my hat. 

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #88 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Hello Dave Patterson!  Have you received money from Joe Brennan yet?  Huh

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #89 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 10:26am
Print Post  
The money awaits the next 1/2 MOA shooter to come forward. Hopefully the winner will share some of his knowledge of how he achieved his precision shooting of plain base cast bullets.

Westerner, do you remember in 2006 my Miller was only shooting 1 1/2 MOA groups and I told you I would fine tune it before the next year. In 2007 I shot a 1245/1250. Yes, fine tuning a rifle can make it shoot much smaller groups.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2013 at 3:01pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint