Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: THE 1/2" CHALLENGE (Read 37823 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: THE 1/2" CHALLENGE
Reply #60 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
By no means are you included Pete, it was my hope those who's abilities we all admire would know of whom I speak. They read but seldom post and if they do it is a benefit to all.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #61 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
John,

Well I certainly don't put myself in the same class as quite a few of the real good shooters I could name on here. I'm pretty sure they are still here but choose not to be baited.

My personal opinion is that those with the knowledge and expertise are still here but will not contribute for the next chapters in Joe's book. They have come to learn over the years that Joe is good at baiting people into "spilling the beans", so to speak. They know, unless Joe has changed considerably since his CBA days, he'll revert to his old ways. So it looks like some are baiting Joe. Probably waiting for him to blow up again.

I hope I'm wrong but you know what they say about stripes and skunks.

Pete

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #62 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
tenx wrote on Feb 3rd, 2013 at 9:07pm:
John,
I hope I'm wrong but you know what they say about stripes and skunks.

Pete

Ahem!  I've trapped 49 skunks over the last few years and have grown to respect their good nature and beauty.  I think that's a comparison that is unfair to the general skunk population!  JoeB will say over and over to the effect that "I'm right, you're wrong and read the book, I hope it helps."  Skunks on the other hand avoid conflict, rid your yard of grubs and yellowjackets AND don't spray unless cornered.   

We'll see how he handles the 'contest', you may be right.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Guess that remark was made bout me, then again it could fit others, maybe Frank, BP, Westerner, H.M.Pope, and I'm sure a whole bunch of other guys that don't always agree with J. Louis. I guess rather than try an get things straightened out in an easy to understand manner it's easier for him to make comments like that. 

Glad to see that Andy Z. and Pete were an exception, also hope that Paul Shuttleworth is an exception and a bunch of others that J Louis did not mention, would hate to see such a progressive bunch of guys that have at least tried swaged bullets, admitted that they liked them, and even set records with them, be given an evil eye by old J L. 

I'm so sorry that I was not able to cast good bullets, must be something wrong with me, I do have breathing problems so I'm NOT sorry that I don't have to breath in lead fumes and the possible health hazards that they may have. 

Thank god for good swaged bullets, finally in this day and age a shooter can acquire bullets that are void free, have perfect bases, are not so much a health hazard,  and are capable of setting records that may take a long time to break. 

I'm looking at this as a milestone in lead bullet shooting, guys have been shooting cast bullets for well over 100 years and it seemed to take that long just to shoot a few record groups, from what I've been told by those that should know modern swaged rifle bullets have only been used in competition for around 5 years and already an "official" record has been  set, and from what I hear groups like the one Andy Z.  has shot is repeatable and have been shot many times in practice shoots. I believe it's only a short matter of time that more records will be set with this new bullet "invention", that's really been around for well over 100 years.
  S T
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2013 at 9:59pm by »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:30am
Print Post  
ST
I'm looking at this as a milestone in lead bullet shooting, guys have been shooting cast bullets for well over 100 years and it seemed to take that long just to shoot a few record groups, from what I've been told by those that should know modern swaged rifle bullets have only been used in competition for around 5 years and already an "official" record has been  set, and from what I hear groups like the one Andy Z.  has shot is repeatable and have been shot many times in practice shoots. I believe it's only a short matter of time that more records will be set with this new bullet "invention", that's really been around for well over 100 years.

You need to go back and re-read history, swadged bullets were being used 100 years ago and they did not perform as well as the as cast. "Not A New Invention" Andy's record is not the bullet it's Andy, he knows how to read the wind, the mirage and how to get the most out of his equipment. In regards to only a few records being set with cast bullets in the last 100 years they  all were and it isn't just a few by a long shot and they continue to do so. To verify my comments just simply look at the ISSA, ASSRA, CBA and the various NRA records and the years they were set / exceeded the prior record. Those you named who are doing good with the swadged bullets are the same people who were dong good with as cast bullets and they could probably hold their own with bullets that are a little imperfect in not so friendly conditions. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
John,
I was talking about ASSRA records, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough for you. I think you really need to read slower, I was  the one that said 

" I believe it's only a short matter of time that more records will be set with this new bullet "invention", that's really been around for well over 100 years"

Did you miss that part. Now show me a record, any ASSRA record near as good as the Andy Z record that was shot in an "official" match that was set with cast bullets. Of course you cant find one better than the Andy Z record, if you did then the Andy Z record wouldn't be a record, just wanted to make that clear to you. 

I've shot more than a few times with Andy Z, Jim McD., Paul S., and a lot of other guys in the NY Schuetzen group when I shot in that area, they are serious shooters, not like some of the other so called social shooters that I have also shot with. 

Andy and a lot of those guys in up state NY have shot very, good groups with cast bullets, but never shot a group like the one shot last year with swaged bullets. That's why it's a record.   

It's the lead bullet of the future, it's progress with Plain Base All Lead Bullets, Is this clear enough for you. 

You say that swaged bullets were being used 100 years ago and they did not perform as well as the as cast. I sort of agree with that to a point, the swaged bullets of years ago are not like the swaged bullets of today. The swaged bullets of today are a vast improvement over the swaged bullets of yesteryear.

It almost seems like your trying to prevent progress with Lead Bullets. Yet you use one of those "foreign" made scopes on your lead bullet gun because you say it's better than the ones that have been, or are made in the USA and gives you an advantage over the others. 

Well that's progress for ya,  I guess it's ok for some to use modern hi tech equipment but don't get caught with hi tech bullets even if they are lead and within the rules. 
S T

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Man are you way out there when speaking on my behalf. If you think the swaged bullet is better for you then use it. When you say it is the best for everyone and the wave of the future, only time will tell. Harvey Donaldson, Dr. FW Mann and others found it not to be in their testing. If it was all you said it is I would be the first to use it. The one you speak of made its rounds here and is now gone. It was found to be no better than the as cast bullets they were using, some felt they were not as good. In regards to my scope, you can't hit what you can't see, I play to win, that's the intent of this sport and always has been as well as socializing with a great group of fellows who share the same interest. As I said Andy is one of the top shooters and one hard to beat and I think it is great that he is able to do so. I have no qualms with Andy's choice of bullet, its working for him. What I do have qualms with is your statement as it being the wonder bullet and the wave of the future. That is not doing the new fellows who are trying to learn this game any justice and at 55 cents each with no proven gain, just your hear say there alot out there that can't afford them. In regards to the ASSRA records I have copies of all of the 100yd group records as they were being set and again far from being a few. Some of those events longer exist thus the reason for not seeing any improvements. 10-5 shot groups, a 50 shot event that averaged .449 (1974) is more than fair shooting as is the 5-5shot group, a 25 shot event that averaged .276 ( 1976 ) and then there is the 5 shot group (1985) of .177 all with as cast bullets. I am not sure of what Andy's group measured but I would assume it surpassed the last one I mentioned? In regards to swaged bullets being better today than in days gone by you are just blowing smoke, a match quality swaged bullet is a match quality swaged bullet no matter who made it back in the day they were made by the best and were not second rate as you assume

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Charlie Dell spent more than any man's time and effort with swaged bullets and he raved about their performance with their lack of air pockets in the beginning and at the end of his testing he stated the as cast bullet as being the better choice. Use what works for you as shooting is a head game, if you think it works it usually does. Is the as cast bullet the best, depends on who is behind the rifle. Is the swaged bullet the best, depends on who is behind the rifle. If you think anyone can honestly say or tell the difference while shooting a match in prevailing conditions we would just be kidding ourselves. If you look at the BC of the swaged bullet you are referring to and an as cast 6 dia. spitzer of which I choose to shoot the difference is night and day with the 6dia. ogive as cast bullet has the advantage with less wind drift, especially at 200yds. the range we shoot at. I hope the ASSRA records are enough to satisfy you but I have my doubts as you really don't care for me and you will go to great lengths to try to disprove anything I have to say. The only reason I took the time to post what I did is for the new fellows who are trying to learn and to get off to a good start, they are the ones I truly care about and now they can make the decision of what might be best for them. 

J.Louis

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:48pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #68 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I know of a few shooters who have tried these swaged bullets side by side. They said that they shot well but not demonstrabutly better than their match grade cast bullets. The bullets are a little spendy and if you are a serious shooter who shoots a hundred or more a week in practise it adds up pretty quick. 
  The other thing that bothers me about these bullets is the knurling. As near as I can tell this is put on after the bullets are swaged. This , for me, is the source of potential variation. As I have stated before anything that you do to a well cast bullet after dropping it from the mold simply deforms the bullet. In the case of the swaged bullet after it drops from the swage it is as perfect as it can be made. then you roll knurling on to it and in the process deform it. You can't possibly knurl them identical every time.
40 Rod

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #69 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Not having seen but at arm's length and a few pix of the swaged bullets, I would try to knurl, lube and then swage.

Further, I would make a mould to cast (to be able to control the alloy) and then do the above.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
I might be wrong as it might have changed, when the fellows out my way gave them a try they could only be had in 30-1. At least that is what they told me. I posed the question on the conversation being held over in the for sale section but did not get a reply.

40_Rod brought up some good points of which I totally agree with. There is allot that goes into making a good match quality bullet. Balance being the key and then flight efficiency.

We also have to keep in mind per Mann's tests as well as others that 1 in 5 shots includes an out shot. To minimize the severity of that out shot is what we have to work with to achieve extreme accuracy.

J.Louis

IP Logged

macca
Participating Member

Reply #71 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:39am
Print Post  
lm fairly new to the forum and because of location don't get to shoot in the variety of situations as you guys do. Still, is this the sort of accuracy you are talking about-a little  less than 0.6 inch shot at 110 yards (100 metres.) off the bench. 40/65 Browning Highwall black powder PJ money bullet iron sights.
cheers macca

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #72 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:47am
Print Post  
That will work MACCA.  Can you do it again?   This seems to be the question

Question, are swagged bullets 'harder', 'denser', and thus heavier when made from the same alloy?  What affects if any will this have?

Cary

IP Logged

macca
Participating Member

Reply #73 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Cary
yes repeatable -conditions were very good that day-does't happen all that often on our range.
At some stage the lead/alloy used to swage bullets was cast from a hot mix- this determined its density. So a swagged bullet of the same volume as a cast bullet of the same chemical composition will weigh the same. However the swagged bullet may be harder due to the working of the wire during swaging. All my bullets are hatched to within 0.5 grain before I shoot them. This usually avoids casting voids.
cheers macca

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #74 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Hello, and very interesting subject!  I think the hardness of a swaged bullet using same alloy as cast would be less..as lead alloys work soften.
   I see alot of posts refering to knurling after swaging for lube carrying ability.  Back in the early 1990's, there was an article ..can't remember if it was the Journal or the CBA'S Fouling Shot on swaging G.G. bullets.  A two piece die with grease grooves incorporated was forced lateraly onto lead slug.  Die had to be forced apart with wedge shaped roller device.
   Wern't the early German Schuetzen factory bullets swaged grease groove type?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint