Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech seating Black (Read 9421 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech seating Black
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Sorry Joe, I thought after you reread it it would be apparent. 
You start with "Not true.  Find the load that gives best accuracy."

So it is OK to have an air gap.

Then you said  "Have a friend who's best load in his 32/40 W is thirty grains BP.  I use forty because I don't size my brass. The bullet sits on top of the powder. and A large airspace in any BP firearm is bad.  Like pushing a ball/bullet half way down the barrel then firing it." 

So don't have an airspace. 

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Have never shot breech-seated with BP. When seating the bullet with BP does one normally seat the bullet far enough into the lands that the case does not go over the base of the bullet when the block is closed? If not, how does one insure the bullet is square enough to the case that the case goes over the base of the bullet with no problem?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Bullet is in front of the case, it never touches the brass. BS Black is the only place I use a wad, have to, otherwise powder spills on loading

Boats

IP Logged

jonskorepa
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Percussion Sharps loaded with nitrated paper "cartridges" always have a large air gap at the pressure sealing plate and work just fine in my 45cal Pedersoli Sharps

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Think your contradiction was that you say an air-gap is OK, then say a large air-gap is bad. Guess there are air-gaps and air-gaps. Smaller ones, say up to 3/8", are OK, but large ones, say 1/2"+, are bad. Whatever, I shoot a long enough bullet that in my 38cal it is is essentially breech-seated while still being about 1/8" into the case mouth sitting on the wad.

All this begs another question. A couple of you state you are shooting BP with the bullet right on the powder. Are you shooting plain-base cast bullets with BP and no wad?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint