Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Canadian Long Gun Registry Data Destroyed (Read 8524 times)
tenx
Senior Forum Member

Re: Canadian Long Gun Registry Data Destroyed
Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Set Trigger,

Maybe the point I was trying to get across got lost in the message.

Federal law says when a gun dealer decides to quit business ALL his records must be sent into the BATF. Since most FFL licenses are held by individuals there is a big turnaround of dealers. Plus a few years back the cost of an FFL became prohibitive and a lot of dealers quit. So.... How many of your guns are now residing in a federal data base?

Pete

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Being from here in Canada I was shocked last year when I was at a gun show. A dealer said if a fellow from out of State purchase's a gun from him he could not let him take it. He had to ship it to a dealer in his state for pick up. Is this a fact?
At least here in Canada now we can buy a gun anywhere and take it with us without any paper work or phone calls just leave with it. And a hand gun there has to be a permit issued to take it home from the seller which takes about 5 minutes.
sst

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
      Well, yes and no.  The law says he can sell to anyone in the surrounding adjacent (whoops, spell check) states. In other words, if a gun show is in Kentucky, he can sell to people from Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Tennesee, Missouri.  But if it's in Maine, he can only sell to New Hampshire as out of state patrons Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
tenx wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 7:05am:
Set Trigger,
Maybe the point I was trying to get across got lost in the message.
Federal law says when a gun dealer decides to quit business ALL his records must be sent into the BATF. Since most FFL licenses are held by individuals there is a big turnaround of dealers. Plus a few years back the cost of an FFL became prohibitive and a lot of dealers quit. So.... How many of your guns are now residing in a federal data base?
Pete

Hi Tenx Pete,
You are correct, when a dealer goes out of business he has to send his books to BATF. 

They are used for tracking guns in criminal cases, also true is that if the dealer is still in business and BATF ask him to check on a gun that may have been stolen or used in a crime he should do so. That's all part of being a gun dealer. If a person is not happy following the laws, then maybe they should not be in the business. 

As to the big turn around of dealers, that's probably because a lot of guys that thought they wanted to be a gun dealer could not handle what is required, or just did not do the paper work at all and there FFL was revoked.
I think that happened awhile back with one of the members on this forum.

Sometimes these are the same guys that complain about about how rotten the ATF agents are because the didn't let them brake the law  Cry
As to the "prohibitive" cost, if that's the reason some quit because an FFL is costly they have to be super cheap, an FFL is $ 30.00 a year as I type this, if a real dealer cant make that on his first sale he's not much of a dealer, and is just using the FFL as a hobby, some don't seem to understand that it's not a "hobby" license, it's a business license. If what they want is a hobby license they should have gotten a C&R license, not a dealers FFL.

On to the "How many of your guns are now in a federal data base" my answer to that is none, because there is no federal data base.
  S T

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
ST,
So you are saying that you know for a fact that the BATF collects those records and then puts them in boxes or file cabinets and when they want to "track" a weapon or a buyer of a legal firearm, they then search through those forms and they don't enter them into a "data base"?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:30pm:
ST,
So you are saying that you know for a fact that the BATF collects those records and then puts them in boxes or file cabinets and when they want to "track" a weapon or a buyer of a legal firearm, they then search through those forms and they don't enter them into a "data base"?
Frank

Frank,
That's exactly what I'm saying, there is no data base on gun owners. If there was such a thing the BATF would not need the FFL books or have to ask dealers for help in tracking a gun. I know this from a personal standpoint because of close family contacts with those that really know. 

What was said before about doing a back ground check is correct, they are only doing the check on the person, they have no idea what your buying, only that you have a clean record.

However as most know there  is a criminal data base, but no one is a criminal till there convicted of a crime.

Just so no one takes this out of context from what I said before about there being no Firearms date base please "remember" that I said for "standard" firearms.

This does not mean there is no Federal firearms data base for what is considered "non-standard" firearms such as, Machine Guns, very Short Barreled Shotguns, Rifles, and Silencers, etc. There is a data base for such firearms because they are registered to the owner and are the only type of firearms that are registered to the owners. 

For those that are not familiar with the NFA act, yes those type of firearms are legal for USA citizens to own and use and in most parts of our country if you can own a rifle or handgun you can own and shoot an NFA firearm. Again, this is Federal law, I'm sure there are some States that will tell you that as a US citizen you cant have such things but those are the states NOT to live in.
  S T
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2012 at 8:45pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint