Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Canadian Long Gun Registry Data Destroyed (Read 8507 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Canadian Long Gun Registry Data Destroyed
Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Well, while the debate might not be over, the long-gun registry officially is.

On Thursday night, the Tories confirmed that all the records of registered long guns have have now been destroyed.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Canadian Long Gun Registry Data Destroyed
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Congratulations Canadians!

Of course, the paranoid California "citizen" (and I use that term loosely, since gun owners haven't actually had much in the way of representation in CA for decades), in me says "Yeah, SURE they've destroyed the records...". 

Paul F.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Dave I am not familiar with your past laws so what does all of this mean, especially in regards to new purchases there and out of the country.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
The only long gun registry data not destroyed is for the province of Quebec who is legally trying to force the Federal Government to hand over the data.

In Canada we still need to register handguns and we still need to have a Firearms Possesion Licence to purchase firearms and ammunition. Data for the registration of handguns is still retained for all of Canada.

Since 2001 we were required to register rifles and shotguns in addition to hand guns. WE basically got the present government to understand the registration process was costing vast amounts of money and did not reduce criminal acts with firearms. They finally agreed and have STOPPED requiring the registration of rifles and shotguns when you purchase them new or from some other owner.

For a Canadian to purchase a long gun from the US will only require us to follow the American laws for import/export permits and the use of FFLs for the transfer as per the American law; and to present our Firearms Acquisation Licence to the seller. Changes for the purchase of firearms from the US has not been clarified with recent changes to the Canadian regulations.

Before we needed an ATF form to bring our rifles to shoots in the US; which required providing our registration numbers for each rifle. Now we no longer have firearm's registration numbers.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave, a big step in the right direction for you folks on the other side of the line. It must have been a pretty big dollar amount to get them to change their minds. Now it makes one wonder what it is costing us.

J.Louis

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 6:40pm:
Thanks Dave, a big step in the right direction for you folks on the other side of the line. It must have been a pretty big dollar amount to get them to change their minds. Now it makes one wonder what it is costing us.
J.Louis

What's it costing us ?.
When did the US of A start requiring long gun registration ?. I haven't bought a gun i about a year but don't ever remember having to register long guns or even handguns in the US, when did all of this start, and who let it happen ?.
  H. M. Pope

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
H.M. you surely don't live in California then.

J.Louis

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Correct, and I thank God for that, but my question was when did the US of A start requiring gun registration, gun guys don't consider that place part of the US of A, in fact some dealers wont even "export" guns to that place  Wink   Grin
  H. M. Pope

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Each state has pretty much adopted their own laws in addition to the Federal laws and those I am not at all familiar with. If I were to try and say anything in regards to the Federal laws it would be nothing but miss information and that is not my style.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 8:06pm:
Each state has pretty much adopted their own laws in addition to the Federal laws and those I am not at all familiar with. If I were to try and say anything in regards to the Federal laws it would be nothing but miss information and that is not my style.

J.Louis

Good for you J. Louis, I thought maybe something happened in the USA while I was sleeping, being you said it makes you wonder what registration is costing us, US being USA of course, but I forgot, it's not your style to spread miss information.
  S T

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 2:01am
Print Post  
We do have a form of national registration. You list the serial number of the firearm you buy on every background check (if the firearm has one). 

If it's not used for something, then why does it have to be listed? The background check is for the person buying the firearm and what the firearm has to do with the persons background, I do not know. The firearm, at least in this state has to be checked when purchased by a dealer so, it has no purpose at all. Here i could say that the purpose would be to connect (register) it to the purchaser but, I will not say that Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 6:53am
Print Post  
In my State whenever I buy a rifle, pistol, or shotgun I have to fill out a form listing all the pertinent info plus a list asking various questions about my legal right to own the gun. My name, address & drivers license is entered on the form also, plus the number of my permit to carry, or, buy. That record is kept in the dealers files until....... here's the kicker....... he quits the business. Then all records have to be sent into the ATF.

Pete

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
     My goodness, the gov't actually destroyed all the info?  All of those loud mouth semi-marxists that represent about 5% of the electorate must be "Howlin' mad." Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
There is no firearm info on any background check I have ever had run on me. The info all pertains to me, not to any particular firearm. The Seller is required to keep records for 10 years on any gun sold. If the seller is an FFL I think he has to keep records permanently.

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2012 at 10:29pm:
There is no firearm info on any background check I have ever had run on me. The info all pertains to me, not to any particular firearm. The Seller is required to keep records for 10 years on any gun sold. If the seller is an FFL I think he has to keep records permanently.

slumlord44 is correct,
Of course some don't seem to know the difference between USA Federal laws and State laws. 

We are talking about USA Federal law her guys, not individual State laws.

There are no Federal "permits" required for any type of firearm in the USA, and there is no registration of any type for standard Rifles, Handguns, or Shotguns.

Ain't the USA a great place to live   Smiley.
  S T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint