Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) effect of twist rate on wind stability (Read 18449 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: effect of twist rate on wind stability
Reply #45 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:34pm:

Imagine that you're spotting and your partner just shot an X at 1000 yds.  Wind has been steady at 5mph from 10 o'clock and then you get a shift  to 10mph at 2 o'clock.  Now what are you going to tell him to do on his next shot?  You give him the corrections and he looks up at you and says, "huh".
  Bob

Well, Bob ,

Here's my call:  If we're shooting our usual .45's:  Go 9 points rt, and down a short 2.  If we're shooting the .38's:  Go 7 rt and down a short 2.  

I'd also be scanning the mirage, the grass, and the dust to make sure that the target and intermediate wind is the same as the shooters wind.  If the mirage is running the opposite way, I'd cut the call in half and hope we stayed on the target so I can make a better call the next shot.  If the mirage is boiling, I'd hold for a few seconds until it runs one way or the other.  If the boil persists, I'd cut the windage call in half and not go down the 2, as the head wind at the target will slow the bullet and drop it down at least as much as the spin lift kites it up.

Added an addendum:  The mirage call will also depend on how bright the day is.  If I'm in a boil on a bright day, might have to drop a point or 2 for the target image being raised up higher.  It will be blurring and bouncing anyway, so hard to really judge the sighting error.

Point being, it's hard to discern all the factors, and one may negate the other.  If you don't observe and note them all, your experience may be the opposite of what the physics predict, and you may not easily learn from the observation.

dave
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2012 at 1:05pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Dave, you bet it's hard to discern all those things going on. It's taken me a long time to start getting it together.  For the first few years, I would notice all these things happening but had a hard time telliing the shooter what changes to make for fear that telling him, would cause a miss.  Finally the trust starts to develop but you also need to know that he and his rifle can put the bullet to call.
I know you shoot the Q as regular as I do and there's no place like Montana to practice wind readings.  I learn more on the days before the shoot than at any time.  Did you get the chance to shoot the buffalo on Sunday, 4 or 5 years ago?  My average wind reading was 24 mph at about 10 o'clock and I only had about 21 1/2 minutes of windage available.
Let's see now, a nine minute change to the right on a target that's only 7 minutes wide.  hhhmmm!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2012 at 7:01pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Bob,

We shot in that wind, had a non-windage front on the Browning loaner that my brother in law shot, and I was having him hold 3 to 4 targets off the edge, plus had the 24 minutes in that the soule rear allows.  Now, all my rifles have windage fronts.  The dust this year was more challenging than the wind.  Some shots, my wife couldn't see the target at all, but had to aim in the general vicinity.  Amazingly enough, many of those ended up being hits.

The buffalo is particularly challenging to spot because of the high mid-course elevation of the bullet trajectory over the draw.  The bullets often go different than both the shooter and target wind would indicate. 

Another good place to learn wind is Alliance NE.  I've seen 3 wind flags all different, and the mirage different than that, and the dust different again.  It's a good local advantage range for the regulars, because you use different indiators for different targets.  You'll underestimate the wind, particularly a head wind at the 1000 yard at the east side of the range, and overestimate it on the short range stuff on the west side.  Mirage and flags on the east side, and dust at the target line on the west is what I read there.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint