Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) effect of twist rate on wind stability (Read 18447 times)
MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: effect of twist rate on wind stability
Reply #30 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
40Rod,
" there is not one just one velocity that will stabilise with most bullet twist combinations there are two or sometimes three velocities where accuracy will be good. you can see where accuracy is good. The best illustration that I can give is that when group size is plotted it is not on an x,y axis but but on a sine wave. "
Allow me to disagree - a stable bullet is stable, there's no different velocities where a bullet will be come unstable  and then stable again:  that's another thing entirely, and only related to accuracy - see als C. Audette's Ladder test, and the theory behind it.  IOW, more to do with barrel whip, and the point of exit of the bullet during barrel whip.  And in such a way, it is quite possible indeed to find several sweet spots.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I think you are missing the point, typically there is a sweet spot at around 1250fps and another one at 1450fps. Most refer to these as nodes. These two points provide equal accuracy at different velocities. I do not believe it has to with barrel whip it has to do with the load. For every 10 degrees in temperature increase a slight decrease in powder will keep a rifle in tune. That decrease amounts to a few tenths and I don't think that in itself would be enough to change a barrels whip. If it was just based on barrel whip then one could pick a load and lets say it provides 1350fps and the groups are 3 inches at 200yds. then all one would have to do is simply move his bob sled either for or aft to change the barrel whip to shrink the group. Been there, done that more than once in extensive testing and it does not work. The only thing I have found to shrink the group is a small change in the powder charge. 

I am with 40 Rod.  

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I think the conversation has inadvertently conflated two independent concepts.  The first being stability and the second being velocity-related "sweet spots."

Typical schuetzen velocities range from approximately 1300 fps to 1500 fps.  Within this narrow velocity spread, the primary determinant of stability is twist rate.  If the twist rate is too slow to stabilize a given bullet, it is all but impossible to compensate by raising velocity.

Sweet Spots are an entirely different phenomenon.  Starting from 1300 fps and raising velocity in small increments, it is very probable that there will be several velocities where group size will shrink.  Some call these velocities "nodes."

In my experience, the sweet spot associated with the highest reasonable velocity will give the best overall performance over the broadest range of conditions.

JackHughs 

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #33 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Regarding the Magnus force. The deflection is only up or down if the nose of the bullet remains above the flight path (slightly nose high) as it is classically supposed to do. (That's a new one for me. I assumed that the flight path of the bullet passed through the center of the tip and the center of the base.) Precession causes the nose to wobble a tiny bit, which moves the low pressure region away from the expected position. So, the Magnus effect can cause side-to-side motion in addition to causing the round to strike the target high or low. Again, faster spinning projectiles should be affected more than slower ones.

Not to put too fine a point on ol' Magnus, Herrmann states that the effect is much more pronounced in golf and baseball. Presumably this is because the axis of rotation in these cases is not parallel to the direction of flight. 

I would like to have seen some of the tests that Herrmann refers to in his book: 16" projectile at 2600 fps, 4" projectile at 2900 fps. A WW2 observation plane pilot, now deceased, once told me that a salvo from a 16" battery would generate a strong enough vortex to roll his aircraft upside down if he flew through the wake. (As an old infantry man, it may surprise you Navy types to know that my bucket list includes touring every Iowa Class and their highly decorated predecessor, North Carolina. I wish they had saved more of them. Kinda off topic, but what the hey.)

Dr Tom

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Dr Tom my uncle served on the South Dakota alias Battleship X during WW2. said those 16 inch projectiles looked like Volkswagons flying through the air. Had some very interesting stories and some very hard times.

SORRY Fellows now Back To Twist Rates

J.Louis

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
J. Louis,

If it were only that simple...Lower temps will reduce MV, higher temps will increase MV.  Ideally, the bullet needs to exit either at the top or bottom extreme of barrel movement (where the barrel remains static for a longer time), in order to make sure that slight differences in MV won't cause vertical stringing.  Tuning  the point of barrel exit with the load is much more accurate than moving around a chunk of steel weighing god knows how many pounds... Kinda like adjusting sights with a sledgehammer.   Check the barrel tuners used in rimfire benchrest, they tune the barrel to the cartridge, as they cannot tune the load to the barrel.  It seems they really do work, those things.    Why else would they use them?  Another rendition was the BOSS system.  You might check out this article: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I know I was pretty sceptical untill I tried it with both a 32-20 and a 22 Hornet, it does seem to work as advertised.  The theory behind it seems pretty plausible too.  I know it worked for me...

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 1:35pm:
J.   Ideally, the bullet needs to exit either at the top or bottom extreme of barrel movement (where the barrel remains static for a longer time), in order to make sure that slight differences in MV won't cause vertical stringing. 

Not to get off topic, but when considering barrel vibrations, don't forget that the barrel will do a lot more than move up and down.  Oscillating systems tend to have movement in all degrees of freedom.  i.e. the barrel will move up/down, left/right, and to some degree in torsion.

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian it is actually all very simple once a person has enough time behind his rifle to understand all of the little different effects that have been mentioned and yet more. We at times tend to over complicate such matters, human nature at it's best. Having the barrel stop at the top surely is a big advantage but not all can achieve that yet still shoot extremely well. Over the past 14 years I have discovered allot about cast bullet shooting and all though some of those things that work for the jacketed bench rest shooters do seem to work, others do not and the same holds true for rimfire as well. I posted a picture of my bob sled, far from being a chunk of steel, more like ounces yet very effective none the less. The rimfire crowd has proven the use of tuners, the jacketed folks are still up in the air and yet unsure. There use for our purposes is not legal so no need for me to pursue any advantages or disadvantages. Temperature needs to keep an eye on to maintain load tune, and Barometric pressure has a yet a bigger effect and needs to be watched as well. There is also no such thing as a straight barrel so having the high spot / bend at the muzzle clocked at exactly 12 o'clock is very important and on the opposite end having the chamber central and square to the bore for at least that first inch in front of it is also equally important. Still so much yet to learn and that is why these subjects are so interesting to me. I might add, those magical things we read about in awe have no magic at all and don't seem to work for all. It is the rifle and the man who has taken the time get everything it has to offer out if that becomes that magical equation. No easy feat, it takes endless hours out at the range trying every angle known to man as well those yet to be tried. But that is what makes it so enjoyable to me, discovering the undiscovered and then winning with it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

J.Louis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #38 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
OK, so there MUST be an APP for it!

Plug in type and SN of rifle, load, wind direction and rotation of the earth and it spits out elevation and windage corrections for each shot!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
That would come as no surprise to me and only the grand kids are capable of finding it on my end.

J.Louis

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
I'll jump in with my opinion, for what it's worth.

The stability of a bullet is slightly affected by the wind.  And, it depends on the direction it is coming from.  A side wind will have less effect than a head or quartering wind will.

The twist does have an effect on stability, as noted before, you can either understabilize or overstabilize, although I think it is nearly impossible to overstabilize at ranges over 300 yards.  At shorter distances, overstabilization can be a problem.  J Louis shoots 200 yards, his opinion and observations are valid for that range.  I shoot at longer range, and have no place to shoot 200, so what I observe is at ranges to 1000 yards, or at 100 yards only.  My long range observations are after the bullet has "gone to sleep", and so overstabilization is not a factor.

Understabilization produces a yaw in the bullet itself, where the bullet wobbles, or tips, about a center of rotation.  Overstabilization produces the large spiral path downrange, as J. Louis noted the bullets do not follow a straight path, rather a long lazy spiral.  The long spiral of overstabilization is not subject to wind induced instability, the wobble yaw of understabilization or misbalanced bullet is.

For an understabilized bullet in a quartering or headwind, the bullet yaws and presents more surface area, so the wind slows it more, drifts it more, and if gusting, can destabilize it more.  This is because the destabilizing wind force has more apparent surface area to act on.

The faster the twist, the more aerodynamic lift on the bullet.  That effect is the same as air on an airplane wing.  The faster the airspeed, the more the lift.  Incresing bullet spin increases the apparent airspeed over the surface.

My opinion is that the gyroscopic stabilization of the bullet by twist helps the bullet be more stable in wind.  More is better.  Marginally twist guns don't shoot well at long range in the wind.  Overly fast twists shoot better in high wind.
dave

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:20am
Print Post  
"The faster the twist, the more aerodynamic lift on the bullet.  That effect is the same as air on an airplane wing.  The faster the airspeed, the more the lift.  Increasing bullet spin increases the apparent airspeed over the surface".

Very well put Dave and the best fitting description I have heard to date and very simplistic to understand.

Also agree with the rest of your post as well.

J.Louis

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Yesterday at the range I tried to help a guy shooting the Lee 230 gr .30 300AAC bullet in a .308 Win. 10" twist Ruger. At 50 yards, some bullets made oval holes, up to ~ 1300 fps. Over 1300 fps the bullets made bullet shaped holes, when they hit the target.
(With my 314299, 21/IMR4227 .308 loads, he shot 5 into ~3/4" at 50 yards, so it ain't the gun.)
Magnus forces?
joe b.

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #43 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 9:49am
Print Post  
If the wind isn't gusty, the pressure distribution in the boundary layer will vary as the bullet slows down, but each round fired will be affected identically, so the group size would not be affected.This applies to all aerodynamic forces acting on the bullet, including Magnus. 

The Magnus effect is just an early expression of what is now called boundary layer theory, evidence of which is pervasive in fluid dynamics and is well documented. If it wasn't important it probably wouldn't be mentioned in a Naval Academy textbook. 

Dr Tom

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
For us mere mortals, understanding all the jargon of yaw, magnus effect, center of pressure is fun to talk about but for most, we'll never be able to apply it. Understanding what affects wind and spin drift do to our bullet flight is essential.  Both groups are shooting through the transition which really can create havoc with our bullets.  John and Jack measure their wind drift in tenths while us LR shooters like Dave and I measure it in feet.  Tenths and feet are both critical in shooting a good score
Imagine that you're spotting and your partner just shot an X at 1000 yds.  Wind has been steady at 5mph from 10 o'clock and then you get a shift  to 10mph at 2 o'clock.  Now what are you going to tell him to do on his next shot?  You give him the corrections and he looks up at you and says, "huh".
Fishtailing winds from 8 to 4 are the hardest for me to grasp.  This is what is fun and makes us comeback to try to improve.  Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint