Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) effect of twist rate on wind stability (Read 18442 times)
JackHughs
Oldtimer

Re: effect of twist rate on wind stability
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I should have added this to my first post but it was late and brevity seemed important at the time.

Some questions are practical and some are academic.   

The first question is practical.  For a given bullet, twist rate is the major determinant of stability.  And, if the bullet is not stable from muzzle to target, nothing else matters; you will not achieve consistent accuracy.

The second question is academic inasmuch as it asks whether or not there is a correlation between twist rate and wind deflection.

For a given bullet, only a very narrow band of twist rates will stabilize that bullet out to 200 yards.  And, as both under and over stabilized bullets are inherently inaccurate, only those twist rates that keep the bullet stable out to 200 yards have any practical significance.

Accordingly, questions regarding the effects of wind on under or over stabilized bullets are interesting, but have little, if any, practical application.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Very well put Jan.

Having shot my Darr 6 dia. ogive 32 bullet for over 10 years on the ragged edge of stability I have without doubt noticed an instability by the wind on the bullet on the target. In the form of uncalled for out shots and very noticeable tipping of the bullets on those out shots. What the actual cause is, is well beyond my knowledge. It is also interesting that it was caused by an unknown wind condition as tipping was not the norm and if known could have easily been avoided. That bullet was exceptional and provided allot of honors through out those years, but it would have me sitting on the edge of my seat at times. When on it's best behavior the wind had a very minimal affect and it seemed to magically shoot through it. This based on those holding off 2 or more inches in a match while I was holding on the edge of the 25 ring and seemingly shooting the same conditions.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
To talk about wind and bullet stability is like talking about apples and oranges.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I have my Mann book out on loan and I can't remember if Mann had anything to say about the mix between the two. My remarks are assumptions based on my experiences over the last 14 years based on many things. But mostly just what the target has told me as that in all reality is the only thing that really counts in regards to my concerns and I would then try to make heads or tails out of the negative ones. I am sure it has been studied at some point in time by those with expertise but don't have plans to go looking for it. If it happens to surface at some point in time I will take the time to share it.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
I found out some things today. The Magnus effect results in an asymmetrical distribution of air in the boundary layer of a spinning projectile. The bullet drifts toward the low pressure region of this distribution. That's from the 1935 Ed. of Exterior Ballistics by Lt. Cdr. Ernest Herrmann, USN; Ch. 9 Article 904. He also states that it is a very small effect, but he was discussing much larger projectiles than ours so it is difficult to interpret what he meant by "small".

My thought: The shape of the asymmetrical Magnus distribution would be altered by gusting crosswind. If the low pressure side of the Magnus distribution is upwind the gust would reduce the the effect and if downwind, the opposite would occur. So, a faster spin rate--meaning a more pronounced Magnus effect--would have a greater effect on drift. 

Herrmann states later, in Appendix D, that drift of some projectiles in a direction opposite of that predicted by the Magnus effect has been observed. 

Interesting, but not conclusive.

Dr Tom

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Very interesting indeed, a great post.

J.Louis

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:57am
Print Post  
IMO, there is no such thing as overstabilization - you just use a heavier bullet.  Understabilization is MUCH worse, and a bullet on the ragged edge of stability might just be sent 'over the edge' by some less-than-ideal wind conditions.  But the bullet was understabilized to start with anyway....
Range also hs something to do with it, as well as MV (don't forget the transition from supersonic to subsonic, which is pretty turbulent).  More drift with a faster twist?  that's just a few clicks on the sights, a minor issue...

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:52am
Print Post  
The magnus force F = S(RPM X V) where F, RPM and V are vectors. F operates 90 degrees away from the wind, so a clockwise rotating bullet with a wind from the left is displaced up. I suppose that a wind from above or below would displace the bullet l or r, and twist would affect wind drift. When the wind comes from above or below.
I'll stick with my first answer until someone does the arithmetic. I'd like to see a mathematical example.
joe b.

Dr Tom wrote on Oct 29th, 2012 at 11:43pm:

My thought: The shape of the asymmetrical Magnus distribution would be altered by gusting crosswind. If the low pressure side of the Magnus distribution is upwind the gust would reduce the the effect and if downwind, the opposite would occur. So, a faster spin rate--meaning a more pronounced Magnus effect--would have a greater effect on drift. 

Dr Tom

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:54am
Print Post  
How do we know when the bullet is on the ragged edge of stability?
joe b.

MartiniBelgian wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:57am:
IMO, there is no such thing as overstabilization - you just use a heavier bullet.  Understabilization is MUCH worse, and a bullet on the ragged edge of stability might just be sent 'over the edge' by some less-than-ideal wind conditions.  But the bullet was understabilized to start with anyway....
Range also hs something to do with it, as well as MV (don't forget the transition from supersonic to subsonic, which is pretty turbulent).  More drift with a faster twist?  that's just a few clicks on the sights, a minor issue...

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 6:23am
Print Post  
When you start to see tipping in less-than-ideal conditions, or the bullet is becoming unstable at longer ranges.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 6:30am
Print Post  
On the practical side, determining the 'ragged edge' of becoming unstable is easy to observe - the prairie dogs do flips when the bullet is near unstable and the prairie dogs just fall over when the bullet is very stable.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 6:48am
Print Post  

Dr Tom wrote on Oct 29th, 2012 at 11:43pm:
I found out some things today. The Magnus effect results in an asymmetrical distribution of air in the boundary layer of a spinning projectile. The bullet drifts toward the low pressure region of this distribution. That's from the 1935 Ed. of Exterior Ballistics by Lt. Cdr. Ernest Herrmann, USN; Ch. 9 Article 904. He also states that it is a very small effect, but he was discussing much larger projectiles than ours so it is difficult to interpret what he meant by "small".

Herrmann states later, in Appendix D, that drift of some projectiles in a direction opposite of that predicted by the Magnus effect has been observed. 

Interesting, but not conclusive.

Dr Tom

Yep! That's what I'm talking about! Now were are getting somewhere!

The ragged edge of stability measured by prairie dog flips? I prefer "vaporized" myself. Kind off hard to tell by flips, chunks, or red mist just how stable a bullet really is.   

Richard

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 7:56am
Print Post  
I agree, it is just a crude indication.  But to see one go straight up 6 to 10 feet is more rewarding than ANY other hit.

The bullet will tumble if it is near un-stable.

Contrast the .223 at 300 or 400 yards with a .308 - very stable - pd falls over and you see four feet straight up twitching.

Agree.  We need to publish a series of references on how to calculate bullet stability - compared to another series of experiencs relating stability to accuracy.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #28 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Here is what I believe. As the twist rate increases so does the effect that wind has on it. That is because as the bullet rotates faster it bites harder into the wind That has to have an effect on the bullets path.
Second there is not one just one velocity that will stabilise with most bullet twist combinations there are two or sometimes three velocities where accuracy will be good. you can see where accuracy is good. The best illustration that I can give is that when group size is plotted it is not on an x,y axis but but on a sine wave. 
When we are limited to smaller potential velocity ranges as we were with black powder then it may have been true that there was only one "sweet spot" but with smokeless opening up a larger range of velocities it is possible to reach more than one "sweet spot" letting you add choices like case life into your choice of velocity.
40 Rod

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #29 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 11:53am
Print Post  
And now my pea brain really hurts.   Tongue

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint