Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sighting in a Stevens New Model 40 Pocket Rifle (Read 5206 times)
418Steve
Ex Member

Sighting in a Stevens New Model 40 Pocket Rifle
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Finally got my correct Lyman combo rear sight for this pistol (6" barrel--don't know if a factory special or an aftermarket cutdown).
Anyway, when I use the tiny rear sight aperture and the post inside the front sight, I can get it dead on at 50' with the rear elevator slide raised about 1/8" from the bottom--that leaves most of the ladder free to move the sight up if I wanted to.
Yet, when I use the V in the rear sight and use the brass blade on the front combo sight, it shoots about 10" high at 50'.  So of course there is not enough room to lower the rear sight enough to get it "on" when using the rear V notch.
My questions are;
How were these sights supposed to be used--both as a rifle with the stock and as a pistol without the stock?
Rear aperture to front post and rear V to front blade, or something else?
How do you guys use your pocket rifle sights?
Did anyone have to file a deeper V in the rear elevator blade to make it lower, to use the front blade sight?
Sorry, no photo's of it yet with the new rear sight--will try and get them on tomorrow
Thanks all and let me know!

PS--the gun is a shooter!  Barrel is pretty pitted but smooth.  Yet it will keep 4 of 5 shots in the X ring of an NRA B2 50' bullsye target, and all 5 shots in the 10 ring--off sand bag rest with CCI SV ammo.  I was going to have it relined, but not now!
Moral of the story--if you have gun with a flawed barrel--shoot it first before you do anything!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sighting in a Stevens New Model 40 Pocket Rifle
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
About the only thing you can do w/o hurting the original sights is raise the front sight blade. If you give us the sight radius, one of us can tell you how much you have to add to the front sight to get it on.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the V-notch and just use the tang sight but, if you raise the front blade, all three can be made to align.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
The V notch is the rear sight, on the barrel (it's not a tang sight)
I'll get some photo's and the exact sight radius tonight

It's a brass blade on the top of the front sight "hood" and the post front sight is inside the hood and blade is on top
Will get photo's soon
Thanks
Steve

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I raised the front blade on a S&W M 1905 target by super gluing "cheeks" of brass either side of the factory front. Original was set to throw it's shots high using bottom of the bullseye hold. I like it to throw center of impact same spot as the sight is looking.

Glued on no loss of collector apeal, can pull them off if selling

Boats

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Here are 3 photo's of the gun now.  Barrel length is exactly 6" and sight radius is exactly 5".  It is shooting 7" high at 50'.  My geometry is sort of rusty as I'm somewhat "chronologically challenged" nowadays and it's been 45 years since high school!
How much would I need to raise the brass blade on top of the front sight to be able to use it as a pistol?  The formula would be nice for 50' as a baseline.
The aperture on the rear sight is too small to use that as a pistol sight. Sorry for the green sight paint dots on the rear elevator bar below the V and on the fron sight internal lollipop post.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
You can do it by calculation, formula is on the site under Gunsmith page, right at the top, scroll down a few post, it's embedded in the Unertl scope block spacing thread

However, short radius like on pistols it takes very little movement to adjust and you are dealing with awfully small measurements. Better to put a temporary front on the pistol, Plastic, cardboard, anything, duct taped or zip tied. Cut it down to zero by actually firing, then use it's measurement to set your permanent front sight 

Boats

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Boats,
OK, will do--thanks for the tips

Will try and repost the photo's later one -- they were moved somehow or by someone

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I get .058 as the amount you need to raise the front blade.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks all--I'll try a glue on gizmo first of course
Here's another jab at the photo's.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Its been a while since I have shot either of mine but I recall having problems figuring out the sights too.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I used to have same action different sighting set up. Model 35. As I recall had to use bottom of the bullseye hold.  Nice pistol wish I still had it

Boats

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks all--I'm finally going to pick up an aftermarket clamp on wire stock for it too--and either adapt and make it like an original unit or run it as is--at least until I can find an original one somewhere.
Will keep you guys posted once I get the sights really sorted out.
Thanks!

Steve

IP Logged

Winnetou
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:10am
Print Post  
As far as I know, these sights were manufactured by Stevens. They made these sets of combination sights (aperture and globe on the bottom, express V and blade on top) in two sizes: large for the Tip-Up rifles and small for the pocket rifles.

I own an excellent model 40 pocket rifle in .22LR, and have found that at close range, with the rear sight as low on the ladder as possible, the globe must be placed at the “6 o’clock” position of the target, rather than on top of the target as one might prefer for sporting use.

The distance between the centre of the front globe and the top of the front blade is the same as the distance between the centre of the rear aperture and the bottom of the rear V-notch. This would seem to indicate that the point of impact would be almost the same with both sets of the sights, at the same setting—as long as the sight picture is such that the express front blade is just barely visible at bottom of the rear V-notch. Perhaps you have been using “too much” of the blade.

I’ve always used the aperture and globe, so would have to try shooting with the express sights to make a proper comparison.

Even standard velocity .22LR cartridges may be too much for this small action from the days of black and semi-smokeless powders. I use CB and other subsonic rounds in my gun. An excellent new option is the CCI Quiet-22, which has the full 40-grain Long Rifle bullet:

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Winnetou,
Think I agree with all you say, including excellent advice on the ammo.
I had been using CCI CB longs and Quiet in the gun, but left it home when I went to sight in--just haven't decided which one I'll go with yet.  Problem with the Quiet is that it so much resembles the box that SV is in, that if I keep it in my range bag I wind up using it in some of my semi auto High Standards and it turns them to single shots!
I'll try it with the CB and Quiet and see what that does to the POI as well--and if not too bad then just use some Kentucky windage.  I also use "bottom of the bull" aka 6 O'Clock hold anyway, just because I'm a bullseye shooter too at NRA 50' Gallery course of fire.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint