*** This poll has now closed ***

no    
  12 (24.0%)
yes    
  38 (76.0%)

Total votes: 50
« Last Modified by: frnkeore on: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:20am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic In Memory Of (Read 4085 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

In Memory Of
Oct 22nd, 2012 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
The resent death and the death's at have occured over the last couple of years of long time shooting people that I know has made me think that maybe a seperate forum catagory might be nice to have for this. 

Maybe it would take up to much cyber space for the website, I don't know. It might also provide links to find info on old rifle builders.

We are a dying breed. What do you think? 

I'm sure that a lot of people would like to see my name listed Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: In Memory Of
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
It might be something that could be pinned at the top in the announcement section. I think it would be appropriate to honor and tribute to those in our single shot shooting community. What you might want to do Frank is to start a Poll to provide to the board for possible consideration.

The start a poll icon is right next to the new topic icon and I would be more than happy to post my thoughts on it.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Had a good talk with a friend just recently. He was lamenting the fact that most of the old timers that got him started in shooting and collecting were gone now, and that he just didn't look forward to attending the events like he used to when they were still around. 

I told him that like it or not, we've become the old timers now, at least as far as the younger pups may see things. And that maybe they need us to play that role, just as we needed those who exist now only in our memories.

Our names will probably be listed soon enough. Or crossed off.  Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Please vote one way or the other.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I've seen the "In Memory Of" section at more than a few websites I hang out at. Personally I think its a good thing to honor those whom have left the range. It always saddens me when I see that someone who was well known has passed away as the friends and family come to turns with their grief. But as long as we remember them they will truly never be really gone. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:03am
Print Post  
frnkeore,

A very nice idea. I'm all for it. 

Jerry_H

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Such an odd mix.  If it's someone you knew or knew of it's vital.  But if it's someone you've never heard of, it may be of some interest.

I think there is a consensus that it be in it's own area.  My vote was for both reasons.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
First off I'm very much in favor of having an "in memory of". I'd like to see it done the way it's done in Precision Shooting, an article or just some info/anecdotes about the person, what they did/accomplished and why they are important. I worked with a man at RCA Records who came to the company in 1949. He was a producer who worked with many of the famous names of Classical music and was one of the developers of stereo recording. To say he was an archive of information is an understatement. I asked him one day about writing down/recording at least some of his experiences/anecdotes. He said he would think about it. Several months later he died of a heart attack while sitting at his desk. All that he knew is lost. I was lucky enough to have heard many stories/anecdotes of his amazing career and I pass them on to others when I can. As I read the questions that members of this forum pose, I think often about so many of the oldtimers who were the trailblazers who created and invented tools, equipment, and their ideas, people like Pope, Schoyen, the Freund brothers, Peterson, Hubalek, etc. Most of what these men knew died with them. The same holds true for many of the gun companies. For example, today little if anything is known about case coloring processes used by Remington or Marlin on their Ballards. Luckily there are at least some sources where info about them is recorded, books by Kelvar, Roberts & Waters, as well as the Dutcher and Marcot books on Ballards and Rolling Blocks. Knowing at least a small bit about the oldtimers of our sport is a great benefit to all, tho more would be better.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I think it's a fine idea, and nice tribute to the men we appreciated for what they meant to singleshots. I hope that whoever posts a name would also post a little info on that person.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
In response to BP's friend's quote-   as a "young pup",  part of the reason I enjoy going to a shoot is to sit and listen and learn from the old and not so old timers.  If my bullets aren't finding the target to my liking,  the gab sessions make the trip  worthwhile.   So tell him to keep coming out.   

btw- I voted yes to the memorial page.  Hope I make it on the page in about 40 years!

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint