Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman or Marbles tang sight (Read 4803 times)
Brudford01

Lyman or Marbles tang sight
Oct 21st, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I have been using a Lyman No. 2 tang sight on my Uberti 1885 Low Wall for less than a year now. Got tired of drifting the front globe sight has (no windage adjustment ) . My Marbles tang sight came in yesterday from Brownells . Positive clicks for both windage and elevation . I have heard people state that the Marbles is a better quality sight ? I don't really think so . The lyman appears to be built a little stronger . Infact the stem on the Marbles is a little loose even with  the set screw tightened . Quality of the machineing is about the same . However the windage and positve click adjustments is nice . Lyman about 70.00$ new and the Marbles 123.00 $ Also Marbles does not provide a screw set with their sight you have to buy separate another 5.99 $ . lyman does provide a screw set .
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2012 at 5:24pm by Brudford01 »  

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman or Marbles tang sight
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
I have both.  Much prefer the Marbles as mine is pretty tight.  As I have extra loot, I have been replacing both with MVA sights.  They cost more, but you get what you pay for.  I think I only have a couple left to replace now.

Regards,
George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
It must be luck of the draw. I have a Marlin with a Lyman and it has a lot of play so when I went looking for a tang sight for my new Win 1886 I went with a Marbles. It's much less sloppy.

Chris.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The fact that the current production Lyman and Marbles tang sights need set screws, while the old originals didn't tells me plenty about quality.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Brudford01

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I did not know the old ones had no set screws . I guess that is why you see the old Lymans selling for 200.00$ on Ebay . It's ashame what has happened to American quality considering both these sights are U.S . made . I wish Marbles had supplied instructions with their sight . I would like to know how to make the stem a little more tight . The set screw is at the base of the stem and I think it my be for the disassembly of the whole unit .

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:11am
Print Post  
While I haven't used an MVA sight of that style, I have used their soule sights and scopes.  They are very high quality.  American quality and craftsmanship is alive and well at their shop.

Chris.

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
The std model Marbles, without the changeable stems, seem to have less play. But harder to find in the right height. Basicly it is the luck of the draw, some are sloppy some are not. I sent a sloppy one back and it came back just as bad. As far as old Lymans, I have one on an OLD 38-55 SRC M94. It is as sloppy as all get out, so it is not a "new" problem at all.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:11am:
While I haven't used an MVA sight of that style, I have used their soule sights and scopes.  They are very high quality.  American quality and craftsmanship is alive and well at their shop.
Chris.
As well as Hoke, Baldwin, Red River, Shavers, etc. 

Have a new Marbles on a Marlin lever-gun and it is "OK". Like the clicks, but hate having to count and remember where I am. Don't think I'll be getting any more of them.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint