Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wilton Saratoga New York Shoot (Read 4907 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Wilton Saratoga New York Shoot
Oct 20th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys,

Just returned for my first look at a ASSRA Schuetzen shoot at the Wilton Gun Club near Saratoga Springs, New York. Went there with the thought in mind of watching and talking to the shooters to find information on the match. Found a great bunch of guys shooting and willing to talk. They shared knowledge and were helpful in many aspects to a shooter new to the ASSRA Schuetzen rules and way of shooting. 
    Met several of the shooters that included Paul Shuttleworth from CPA Rifles. I have to say that they are truly a friendly and helpful bunch. I know that I will be looking forward to joining them on the firing line once my rifle and equipment are up to the challenge.
                               Sendaro

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Wilton Saratoga New York Shoot
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
That's great to know as I plan to get up for a match there next season. They also shoot BPCR silhouette on the 1st & 2nd weekends of the month, which I also plan to attend. In fact, they shoot the silhouette match all winter long, which can prove 'interesting', I'll guess. 

Not sure what you mean about your rifle. If you've got a single-shot rifle that is safe to shoot then it is up to the task. Go, shoot, learn and have a great time.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Great to hear you enjoyed yourself Sendaro. The Schuetzen community is typically an over friendly group who is always willing to share all they know to bring one to the top. My enjoyment comes from being able shoot with the best and it has always been my goal to get everyone to that level. It stimulates experimentation and regular scheduled practice sessions to stay up with that group and it tends brings everyone to a higher level as they generally want the same.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 6:33am
Print Post  
J Louis,
           I have to agree with all that you have stated. I've seen the same in rimfire shooting at our home club in Johnstown NY the PINE TREE RIFLE CLUB.

SSShooter, Have a few friends that have shot at the Wilton range in the winter silly-wet shoots. They had a good time, and tell me that it is still very active there. They also tell me that you need at least a 38-55 to knock down those large targets.
     As far as getting my equipment up to the challenge I have to acquire a few bullet molds. I need one for the 30-30 Ackley Imp short and one for the 25-20 SS. The one for the 25-20SS I'm sure is going to take a while. Given the very tight bore in this rifle at .2535 to .2540" I'll have to have a custom mold made. I'll bet that's going to drag on and cost a bundle.
                                  Sendaro

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 10:15am
Print Post  
There have been a few posts recently stating that NEI(?) or one of the other less commonly mentioned mould-makers has a fast turn-around (several weeks as opposed to several months) on their moulds. Believe whomever it is offers the option of Al, brass (bronze?) or iron moulds, being priced accordingly. If my feeble brain finds the post(s) I'll let you know.

No problem for me with the silhouettes. My 38-56 kicks out a 340gr bullet at about 1425fps and the 40-65 tosses 410gr of lead. Have yet to ring a ram with anything but a 32-40 (that was funny). Good luck with your 25-20 and look forward to seeing you at a match next season once I have the 25cal rifle finished.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
     Wow is this ever good news...that range is only about 130 miles from here in Bombay,NY.  I'm going to have to do my mid-night target shooting, as I shoot a Ballard, and everyone seems to be afraid of them.  Now to find out when the ASSRA matches are held there.                Sendaro wrote on Oct 20th, 2012 at 5:50pm:
Hi Guys,

Just returned for my first look at a ASSRA Schuetzen shoot at the Wilton Gun Club near Saratoga Springs, New York. Went there with the thought in mind of watching and talking to the shooters to find information on the match. Found a great bunch of guys shooting and willing to talk. They shared knowledge and were helpful in many aspects to a shooter new to the ASSRA Schuetzen rules and way of shooting. 
    Met several of the shooters that included Paul Shuttleworth from CPA Rifles. I have to say that they are truly a friendly and helpful bunch. I know that I will be looking forward to joining them on the firing line once my rifle and equipment are up to the challenge.
                               Sendaro

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
For match info for Wilton, call Charlie Norton 518-584-0614.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Hey there, Hepburn-itis, thanks for the phone number!!

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Oct 21st, 2012 at 1:32pm:
I'm going to have to do my mid-night target shooting, as I shoot a Ballard, and everyone seems to be afraid of them.  Now to find out when the ASSRA matches are held there. 

Think that all depends on the Ballard. Which one do you have?

GTalk  
IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I have a number 2, in 32 Ballard xl.  I have to wear a shrapnel proof suite because of the totally awesome breech pressure generated by the 32 long and extra long.

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
ASSRA matches are the third weekends in May and October. Contact the Schutzenmeister Robert Buzzeo

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
For BPCRS the 1st Sunday is more of a club shoot and the second is (was) NRA. I haven't been there for the BPCRS matches in a few years. Oh, the Rams are 500yd not meters.
You will be expected to set your partners targets and he will set yours.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint