Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How to export a pre-1870 rifle from US to Germany? (Read 8653 times)
chuckjordan2

Re: How to export a pre-1870 rifle from US to Germany?
Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Fazer,

When you say 'in the mail' you mean USPS (US Postal System)?   Long guns are legal for shipping in the US.  Interesting for international.

About how long does the 'mailing' take?

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:13am
Print Post  
I have never had a problem, yes USPS. I believe because they are antiques, it changes their classification. I have had guns sent by some of the big dealers this way so it must be OK. It is the same that they can send black powder percussion guns, even though they are new reproductions, with out going through a export agent, just put them in thw mail. I know several people who have done this with places like Dixie Guns, pistols and rifles. 

They say a week to get here, but I have had them held up in places like Chicago mail exchange. No reason, they just seem to take a long time to clear at times. But as you now get a tracking number you can se where it is. 

All mail is Air Mail now, no overseas sea mail anymore. It's about $100 to mail a long gun to Oz. 

I had my fathers WWII hand guns sent to me when he passed, they went USPS, as well. It was a few years ago though.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:59am
Print Post  

For Reference:

The Gun Control Act of 1968
   Title 18, U.S. Code
   Chapter 44
   Section 921 Definitions,   
   (a) (16)  Antique Firearms --

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

CMM

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:05pm
Print Post  

Hello guys.

Thank you very very much for all your input to my questions.  Smiley

Now I have to sort all the information, have to contact the buyer and seller about details, have to write some mails to the mentioned persons and have to get some authority infos about the import of pre-1870 ML-rifles and the tax situation.
Huh  Undecided

Thanks again!

Biggi.  Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Good luck on this project, Biggi!  I must say you definatly go the extra mile to help people, and it is mightily appreciated.  We all luv ya!! Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

chuckjordan2

Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
CMM, you are forgetting about the export.  If it's going to cross a border, the GCA is no longer in control.

Q: Does a licensee need an export license to export a firearm?
The GCA does not require export licenses. However, most firearms and ammunition must be exported in accordance with the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976. Regulations implementing this Act generally require a license to be obtained from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Department of State, PM/DDTC, SA-1, Room 1200, 2401 E St., N.W., Washington, DC 20037; (202) 663-1282.

The export of sporting shotguns and ammunition for sporting shotguns is regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the State Department. An export license is generally needed to export these shotguns and ammunition. For further information, contact them at their nearest district office or the Bureau of Industry and Security, Outreach and Educational Services Division, U.S. Department of Commerce, 14th St. & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, DC 20230, (202) 482-4811.

When exporting NFA firearms, ATF Form 9 must be completed and approved by ATF prior to export.

[22 U.S.C. 2778, 27 CFR 479.114 and 479.116]

here's the link: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

DOS Arms Export Control Act: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And then there is ITAR:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Biggie, don't let the above scare you.  As long as it's pre-1898, single-shot (this is a single-shot forum) and clearly labeled during shipment, ship it.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
  Chuck --

Sorry that I confused you into thinking that I had taken the time to read and digest the entire post from beginning to end and therefore understood all of the issues, either presented or implied, therein.  I had not done so then, nor have I done so since.

My citation was added to the post for general consumption by the reading members, since the number of readers was high and there was misinformation indicating that an antique firearm for ATF compliance purposes needed to be manufactured prior to 1898, when in fact, the firearm may be manufacture during the year 1898 and thus be an antique firearm under the statute.

My best,
CMM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint