Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How to export a pre-1870 rifle from US to Germany? (Read 8632 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

How to export a pre-1870 rifle from US to Germany?
Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Print Post  

Today I have a question and I hope some of you can give me hints how to manage this:

A friend in Germany wants to buy an old German ML-rifle (probably pre-1870) in US and this rifle should be shipped to Germany.
Roll Eyes

We don't know how to proceed. Somewhere I read, one needs a gundealer in US, who has an international shipping export licence.

And such a dealer is probably authorized to pack the rifle into a parcel and ship it to a private address in Germany. The ML-rifles pre-1870 are free to own in Germany, we don't need a "rifle owner card".

Does anybody has a clue on how we could solve this problem?

Biggi.  Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: How to export a pre-1870 rifle from US to Germany?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
(Previous reply deleted)

Sorry!  I mis-read which direction you wanted to ship the rifle...

I'm afraid I don't know how to get a rifle from the U.S. into Germany.
I SUSPECT that it WOULD NOT require a firearms dealer, since it is (under US law) not a "firearm", but an "antique" since it's made before 1898.

The German end of things, I really have not even a good guess. 

Paul F.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

Send me a PM with a good email address and I will connect you to an American hunter in Stuttgart that has had several muzzleloader's sent to him in the past two years. I think the only difference will be that your friend will have to pay the Zoll before they release the rifle to him.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
   All devices of this type made, or manufactured before 1898 are not firearms, according to U.S. law.  So it should be easy to ship it out of the USA.  What the story is on the German side I don't know, but I will bet there will be a lot of paperwork on your end. Cheesy

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Not to take this off track but there are a lot of mis conceptions about firearms ownership in Germany. It is true that initially it is harder to get a WaffenBesitzKarte (weapons owners card) but once done limitiations are in some ways less stringent than in the US. A hunter (Green card) can have as many long guns as he desires and his options are greater than for a sport shooter (gold card). The hunter may have long guns with that have barrel lengths that here in the US require a $200 tax stamp. At least one company sells AR's with 7.5 inch barrels that some hunters like for drive hunts and for following up on wounded game. After living in Germany for over 20 years I learned that there are a lot of other misconceptions/wive's tales about guns and hunting in Germany but no point in addressing them here now.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:34pm
Print Post  

In Germany its like follows.

For sport shooters we have some different weapons-owner-cards: 

The yellow card for pistols, which a very restricted to get. For each pistol one wants to buy, one has to get a separate permission from the authority. One has to store it in a special high class pistol-safe.

The green card for rifles, which allows you to buy any single-shot rifle (max. four rifles per year) without any further permission. One has to store rifles in a lower class safe for long weapons.

The red card for collectors. which allows you to buy each rifle or pistol of the permitted collection-topic. No limitation of items you can buy per year. One has to store rifles in a lower class safe for long weapons.

Pre-1870 rifles are free for persons older than 18 years. These are normally the ML-rifles. But one should store the ML-rifles in a safe. Not allowed to have it in a normal closet.

I don't know exactly, which kind and how much rifles hunters are allowed to have. But I think they are limited in pistols.

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Print Post  

SchwarzStock wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:12pm:
Biggi,

Send me a PM with a good email address and I will connect you to an American hunter in Stuttgart ...

SS

PM sent!          Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

chuckjordan2

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Biggi,

You may recall I've done the reverse (Germany to US).  At a high level it will need to be from a US firearm exporter, to a German importer.   

Make sure you received an invoice from the US seller.  Also serial number (waffe nummer), barrel length, overall length, and caliber.   Have this all on the invoice.   

My first take in detail:
1) The US firearm dealer will need to file paperwork with the US State department (?) and BATF (US firearm regulator).   This paperwork normally takes 4 weeks (more if not done correctly).   You'll possibly need the purchasing invoice.  Once approved, this allows for the export.

2) Then that paperwork goes to the German importer.  May I recommend Krico?   Paperwork from the US Exporter is filed with the Bundesamt fur Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);   The BAFA approves in about 2 weeks.

On the German end, I would suggest contacting my German exporter, Arndt Kriegeskorte, at tel. +49 (0) 9180 278-0.   Website:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  He's in Pyrbaum, just North of you a bit (if I recall you are in the Munich area?).  Tell Arndt I recommended you (he should know me by now -LOL).

The zentrale telephone number for BAFA is 06196 908-0 should you have questions.   

A big US firearm dealer is Simpsons Ltd.   I've a contact there I've asked importation questions, I'll as about exporting your friends rifle.

I'll have more answers tonight (after I speak to Simpsons).

Don't expect this process to be completed in days, it'll take about 6 weeks before the shipment leaves the US.   

Note: it may be cheaper if you buy multiple items and perform this entire process with all.   Centerfire rifles and pistols are cheaper in the US (than Germany).    The only thing that's cheaper in Germany are KK and Flinte (shotguns).  I had a shipment of 6 firearms in June and the individual cost was cheaper (overall more expensive).

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 8:37am
Print Post  

Chuck, thanks for your explanations.

Currently, this ML-rifle is in Montana. A guy wants to sell it to North-East-Germany, where this rifle was built in the late 1860s (probably). It should go to a private person, who makes researches on that old gun company.

So I think we need a export-gun-dealer in US, who is allowed to send to Germany. Is this BATF-paperwork also necessary for an old rifle?

And the buyer in North-East-Germany should ask his authorities, if the rifle can be send to his private address or if he needs an import-gun-dealer in Germany. He should figure out, which paperwork he needs for the import.

Thanks for your kindly information. Hhhm, maybe the Simpsons can give some additional hints. 

Biggi.   Smiley

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
There is a line on antique vs modern that changes the rules most countries. I have found it better to ship according to the modern rifle rule and have the authorities say it's not necessary than run the risk of inexperienced inspectors.

Boats

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
  I think you have a good point.  It's better to start the ball rolling and then be told "Oh, this was made before 1898 AND it's a muzzleloader...so it's not a firearm(twice over), no problemo" rather than "well, you neglected part 433 c subpart x-ray, so you are liable for....

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

My friend should be in contact shortly. Most of the modern firearms stuff is not germain (no pun intended). I imported several cartridge rifles from C. Sharps in 2004/5 and they went very easily. I just had to pick them up at the Stuttgart airport. It would be harder to ship a modern barrel only than to ship a complete muzzleloader. There is no US export restriction on this and as far as I know no German import restriction other than the requirement to be 18 years old to possess. Since this is a one-time transaction for a non-commercial quantity no reason for involving an exporter nor an importer. Most people have little to no experience with this and tend to make this more difficult than it really is. This no different than if you ordered a toaster from Sears, people just get scared when it comes to guns. Midway is so scared they will not even sell reloading equipment to soldiers with APO addresses. BTW: I have sent cartridge guns through the APO to a friend (US Soldier). Before doing so, he had completed the import paperwork and had the guns on his WBK. It was all legal and went smoothly. The only delay (2 weeks) was waiting on the BundesVerwaltungsAmt in Bonn to process his WBK since they do all of them for Americans affiliated with the US Military in Germany. I sent the guns via US mail and he had them within a week.

Were it me I would ask the seller to send it via UPS direct to the buyer. UPS will hand it to DHL and of course it will be held by the Zoll until the buyer comes in the pay the duty. The buyer should have a copy of the bill of sale when he goes to the Zoll to make sure they do not try to over charge him. Also good to have examples of advertisements of similiar items as proof of value.

SS

IP Logged

chuckjordan2

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I spoke with Simpsons, a US importer/exporter.  Firearms made prior to 1989 are classified as Antiques.   Anybody can buy and sell them.  The sticky point is when you cross national borders.

Yes, the BATF controls firearms in the US, however, once you cross the border you have to deal with other US laws, that means other US government departments.    I'll list them below, each of them has a different classification of these firearms.   You may have to deal with:
* US State Department - No license to export needed, however, must not be on excluded list.
* US Customs - Also exempt from license, however, firearm must be easily identified as pre-1989
* US Department of Commerce - this is another commodity moving across international borders.   If this firearm is not controlled, no export license is needed.

Next is shipping.   You will need to ship Air Freight Cargo your firearms to Germany.  Simpsons said Luftansa is cheapest at $450-$500.   Yes, that price is right.   The best thing about it is it's rated for a 50Kg minimum (remember my earlier post stated to ship 3-5 firearms the same time?).

I still don't know what happens on the German side when it arrives.

OK, now the water is muddy, what can Biggie and her friend do?

Option #1 (higher risk) - the rifle can be taken to a company that ships international (can't do DHL) and try to ship.   You must declare "the rifle is a pre-1989 firearm and is classified by the BATF as an Antique."   The risk is US Customs can (most likely) open the box before shipment.  If anything is incorrect, the rifle will be destroyed and no notification provided.

Option #2 (moderate risk) - a regular US FFL (not exporter) can ship for you.   Again, must be labeled like above.

Option #3 (low risk) - fly here and pick it up.  You may want to obtain US Customs form 4457 prior to heading back to Germany.

Option #4 (lowest risk) - have an exporter handle the entire process.   Simpsons is one such exporter.

IP Logged

chuckjordan2

Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
continued....

Biggie, contact Arndt and Krico and see what he say's.   We know he'll be glad to import it for €€€ !

If the rifle has a low € value, and low historical value, option #1 might be a fair risk.   

Test the waters.   Have someone buy a cheap airrifle (say a Daisy) or better yet a broken pre-1898 rifle (that is cheap) and ship it to you.  It'll take about 2 weeks, however, that is the cheapest way to test the waters.   

Although if you can get an FFL to somehow document that this is a pre-1989 firearm and include a letter citing BATF regulations, along with the fact that there is no US State Dept, nor US Dept of Commerce restrictions, ship it that way.

The US State Department has an exclusion list (firearms).   While I don't have the exact models, they would be items like a Gatling gun (technically a machine gun or implement of war).

I'll be contacting the US Dept of State on Friday.   I'll report back.

The process can be done, and you need to be prepared for multiple plans in case one doesn't work.  

Here's documentation should you wish to contact Simpsons directly:

website:    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
phone (US): 309-342-5800 
email:      michael@simpsonltd.com
export paper price:      1st firearm=$150, additional=$50@
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2012 at 8:29pm by chuckjordan2 »  

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Though originally from the US, I am living in Australia. I have had many antique rifles sent to me here. Either the brother or a dealer just puts them in the mail. No need for export permits or dealers to be involved. They just list them as antique rifles. There is a limit on insurance for mailed items, I think something like $2500 or there abouts. But all have tracking numbers now.

Never had a problem, all have arrived safe, in fact I have a couple passing through Aust Customs at this moment. 

The German end, I can not help with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint