Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BSing 22rf, your oppinion (Read 21297 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: BSing 22rf, your oppinion
Reply #30 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Frank I have a close friend that is looking at possibly using a stop ring bullet. Do you happen to have any information on how the chamber would need to be designed for that type of use. I am not trying to distract from your breach seating topic as it might add another viable approach to loading one's own at the same reduced cost.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Very typical of you John,
It seems that even when things are written very clearly if you don't agree with it you try an make it look like it doesn't really mean what the rule says. 

I'm done with this nonsense, no matter how clear things are written you and some others will do things the way you want, then try an convince others the what the rules say is not what they mean, this doesn't even make sense.
  S T

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
JMO But I think Frank posting his scores.Using cheap Ammo.Upsets some of the high dollar crowd.?? That don't want to change for any reason.As their way is the right way Smiley.Maybe you don't want to do what Frank is doing but at least enjoy the descussion. Rather than always finding fault with peoples ideas.
And if someone should beat you using his method. So What?. Either join or buy more expensive Ammo as it seems for some money is not a problem.But I do wonder how many more would be in the sport and compete. If 22RF ammo was cheaper to compete and pratice with. As I said just my O. Whitey

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 20th, 2012 at 3:16pm:

All you are trying to do is to piss off the board to promote your own agenda and that appears to make the Rimfire matches a rich man's game so you can buy your way to the top in lieu of earning it.
J.Louis

This comment is so far off tract that there's no way it can make sense.

John,in case you haven't noticed good 22 RF cartridge ammunition has been legal in ASSRA matches for many, many years, so there is no agenda, I use match ammo because it works. 

Now your saying that those of us that use good match ammo are trying to buy our way to the top, do you realize what you just said about maybe 90 % of the members that shoot 22 RF.

I cant believe you made that statement but guess we have to.

I'm sure that those that set records with good match ammo are happy to know that you think they didn't earn it.
  S T

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
As for the use of a stop ring, it could be done with the standard comerial chamber. At .775 long, there is plenty of room for a chamber size or smaller stop ring but you'll have to watch out for exceeding what a 16 twist barrel will handle if you use up all of the chamber. 

You could costum size the chamber length to fit the application or go to a 14 - 12 twist.

Another area of of fixed or BSing that could be explored is a bore riding bullet. I've had good results with bore riding, 30 cal , BSed bullets in my 32/35 with 1.25, 5 shot groups at 200.

You have to remember here that for every case of some match 22rf ammo you buy, you rebarrel your rifle, simple as that!

American ingenuity as always been unlimited and I don't know why people want to let foriegn companys rule the RF game. We were once first in everything now, we seem to be satisfied to just sit back and go with the flow.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
In thinking more about the "stop ring" aspect, a heeled bullet is actually a stop ring bullet.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #36 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
A "heeled bullet" is a heeled bullet. A "stop ring bullet" is a stop ring bullet. 

Joe.  Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #37 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I am not a user of the most expensive ammo and have had more than reasonable luck with mid priced ammo over the years. I prefer shooting 200 yards. This is using Fiocchi 320 at 200 yards. I do not know if the 21 was the ammo or me as the target was posted back wards. I didn't seethe 21 till I picked up the target. I have had similar results with RWS target and Wolf Match Extra. This target they stayed in the center but the overall group is not very good.
Some time I will play with breachseating but so far have not had or taken the time.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #38 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Yeah! You rich guys!!!   Grin

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Whitey we as an organization are trying to promote our sport to new and young shooters to keep from falling off the edge of the earth forever. I have taken my share of young folks to the range and hope to be able to take more in the future. To date all have fallen in love with what we do they just can't afford it. It was not that long back most of us fell into that same category. Competitive rimfire rifles reasonably priced are out there and would fit into most of their budgets. Competitive ammunition is definitely not, so if we as an organization can pave the way through innovation to come up with a safe means to become extremely competitive at a very minimal cost we will have those young adults in our ranks to keep this organization alive for generations to come. Rimfire can become the most affordable means for these young adults as long as we keep an open mind and pave the way for them. Frank Elliott is trying to open that door as is yourself with the thought of being able to use a stop ring bullet. As responsible adults lets not take that possible opportunity away from them due to our own selfish reasons, but just the opposite lets work hard as an open minded organization to make it possible on their behalf.

J.Louis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
mmmmmmmmmm, FB, I like that target. I have yet to shoot a 22rf match at 200 yards. I'd be hard pressed to find the holes, even in the white.

As a wedding gift to me and my wife (I have wonderful friends Smiley ), I was given 2 bricks of Fiocchi, MaxAC. Is that anything like your 320?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
long live safe experimentation  ala dr. mann and harry pope.  art ruggiero( a bpcr shooter)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #42 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I wanted to stay out of this, but I feel compelled to add my thoughts. Winning is not everything in the shooting sports, although it is what we all strive for.
One of the reasons I stopped shooting competitively is because of the shooters who made it uncomfortable for novice shooters or those who were there to enjoy the sport, by being so high strung.
I see no problem with having expensive guns and spendy match ammo, and the novice shooters wanting to learn the sport will always be at a disadvantage with beginner's equipment and ammo. It's part of every sport to not start out with the best of everything until you decide if you like it or not. 
If shooters in general continue to spend so much time worrying about those who can afford spendier guns and ammo, rather than trying to hone their skills, the sport will suffer. Many will give up because they think they can never get to the highest levels without these things. 
I think rather than emphasize the equipment and ammo, we need to emphasize the comraderie, and enjoyment we get from shooting. If it's not fun, then we need to find some other sport to enjoy. Too many sour faces, and poor attitudes made me decide I'd rather shoot casually than shoot with those types who are so serious they can't enjoy themselves.
BS'ing RF ammo seems like another way to enjoy the sport. And anything that changes things up, or makes it a little more fun should be encouraged, not argued over.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Very well put Val and I totally agree. I go to a match with the intention of staying in the top three. If I finish in the bottom three it doesn't affect my enjoyment factor in the least bit. Just waking up in the morning is a real blessing and we all know the alternative. Being in the company of our group of shooters just adds to that blessing. Staying at the top in any game is brought about by dedication and hard work. If I have one of those day when all goes wrong it makes me extremely happy to see someone else up there at the top. I don't attend a match to shoot against anybody. I set my goals extremely high and I shoot against myself, sometimes I reach them, sometimes I don't, its all a part of the competitive spirit and to me it's all a tremendous amount of fun. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Ok,
If ASSRA shooting is not about following the rules as they are written why have any rules ?.

If some are so worried that new shooters cant afford the cost of good 22 ammo and that's  the reason they don't get involved, why don't some of you guys petition the BOD to pass a rule that no one can use ammo that cost more than $ 2.00 per box, I'm sure guys like Frank and John would be ok with a rule like that then the "rich guys"  couldn't  "BUY"  a win.

I know that some of you guys just go to a match to socialize, I also go to socialize, have fun shooting, and to shoot the best my equip and I can, not to test loads or experiment, I do all that before I go to an event. 

It has nothing to do with preventing anyone from experimenting with what ever they want to experiment with.

Why is it that when a member makes a sensible suggestion like changing ONE word in the 22 RF ruling that a few always try an turn it into a peeing contest.
  S T

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint