Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrels (Read 8021 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrels
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Krieger is pretty much the "go to" barrel around the XTC crowd shooting service and match rifles. I've used two (2) of them and they are the best or equal to the best out there. Both of them took zero (none) clean-up on break-in. Shoot & clean gave absolutely no copper fouling. That's a nice finish. Only two barrels like that I've ever had. Wish I could shoot as well as Krieger barrels. That said, I have a Bartlein on order for my new rifle. Wink Both Krieger and Bartlein are cut-rifled.

For the OP......... why not start with a 40/70SS and see if that blows your skirt up? You may find that it is all you need to get out to 1000yd. If you need more, you are only a rechamber/reamer ($75) away from more powder (40/82 & 40/90). 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
SSShooter is your Bartlein going to have the T Style / Gain Twist rifling. I corresponded with sometime back with them about a ream and re-rifle project as I wanted to try a gain twist not offered by anyone else. What are you going to chamber the barrel too and if time allows I would love to hear about your results when it's up and running. They have the technology to cut any cut rifled gain twist rate that one's heart could ever desire. They are right up with Krieger in the winning circle and for those not in the know the founders are X Krieger employees thus the know how to build one of the best barrels out there.

Great fellows to talk to about your needs as well as having the knowledge to address any technical  questions that might arise. 

All top cut rifle barrel makers lap post reaming and post rifling so the interior finish is equal to a button rifled barrel with the difference being about .0004 choke being lap towards the muzzle to create a positive gas seal. I am a Douglas man to date as my 32-40 barrel as well as my 38-55 barrel were real hummers. I am now in the process of putting together an RKS barrel to try due to the barrel being built around the bullet I will be using as well as the gain twist and the lapped in choke for comparison sake. There is a hug advantage of having Ron Smith build you a barrel due to him making the interior dimensions around the bullet you choose to use and the frustration of trying to find a bullet that will work is totally eliminated.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

pwDave
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
To those who thought of shiloh first for the job, so did I, called and talked to someone for about thirty min.  a week later called to get the ball rolling, price, where to send, how to pack,ect,ect,   was told shiloh couldn't do it, told him it was worked out, and he still wouldn't take it ?????  square one again.   but I've got it this time.    it really would have been nice to have had their name on it though.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:19pm:
SSShooter is your Bartlein going to have the T Style / Gain Twist rifling?
J.Louis

Yes. They are building my Rem 700SA in 6.5x47 'space gun' next month (just got off the phone and they think their schedule for a Nov delivery is going to hold). Placed my order for a 30" long 1-in-12" to 1-in-10" gain-twist 5R barrel for my 25cal Low Wall Schuetzen rifle build. Their belief is that the 5R rifling provides better support to the long cast bullets than does the standard 4-groove. It was a toss-up between them and the 6-groove barrel that McGowan offers. Bartlein is about $100 more and 3x the wait, but I've plenty to do in the interim. Planning on a #3 Win Profile, which is about as big as would want to put on a Low Wall, but provides some additional mass for off-hand. The downside is the 8-10 month delivery. Hopefully, in time for Chris's Thurmont, MD shoot next October, if all goes well.

Couple of folks I shoot BPCS with out here are using RKS 40-65 gain-twist barrels on their CPA rifles. They generally shoot AAA or Master scores.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:59pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
SSShooter thank you so much for your reply and if time allows down the road I would be extremely interested in how the 25 cal. gain twist barrel for the Lo Wall performs for you and I think you have nailed the proper twist rate. It has been brought to my attention by a close friend and former cast bullet barrel maker that having a odd number of grooves provides better support for our use that being cast bullets.

J.Louis

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Will have to dredge up my original thread on this 25/20 Low Wall from over a year ago and update.

GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
With the lead on the barrel still way out there you might just want to start a new one. I would highly recommend sending Jerry_H a PM he and his group have their 25's shooting to the same  level as the various 32's and he could get you off to a good start so you could start picking up some powder, primers and what mould to look for should you need one.

J.Louis

J.Louis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint