Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Special Shootin Glasses (Read 2809 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Special Shootin Glasses
Oct 13th, 2012 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Those of you that shoot with metallic sights; do any of you have experience with the Knobloch or Champion shooting glasses??  Can they improve the vision of aging eyes better than your regular glasses?  Are they hard to get used to?  What lense combination would you recommend if any?  All pros and cons welcome.  Thanks.  Bob

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Special Shootin Glasses
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Yes, that"s what they were made for - you will need a small corrective lens and a diaphragm to give you sharpness of depth perception, and a blind for the other eye (shooting with 2 eyes open always gives better vision).  They're a bit of a bugger to adjust, but they can be quite effective in helping aging eyes to resolve iron sights.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Old-Win I have used one of these Merit Eye Glass attachments for handgun, but if I could find where it hiding from me I'd sure give it a try with the rifle Soule sights, new ones here check them out!  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Mike

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 11:56am
Print Post  
See also:

I ordered a pair back in the 1990's and they work very well. Whenever I have a change in the Rx, I just send Decot the new  Rx and the old glasses, and Decot grinds news lenses and puts them in the frames.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I used Champions when shooting smallbore prone.  For offhand rifles pistols and Shotguns Decot's are better for me.

Fixed target never change your cheek positon the Champions works very well.

Boats

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I have worn shooting glasses for 35 + years.
I find them very helpful. The asset in using them is that you are no longer looking thru the edge of your street glasses.  The lens is moved to where you are looking thru the center and getting the most out of your correction. I use a German set called Junkers because I require correction for both eyes.  These are adjusted by bending the frames.  I also use the half blinder on the non shooting eye. you want light entering both eyes. The Champion and Knoblocks have a lens holder mounted on a bar. The lens holder offers vertical adjustment and sliding it on the bar frame offers horizontal adjustment. Generally the nose piece is adjustable for height. If you need correction for both eyes, you will need two lens holders.   I never had trouble adjusting to the Junkers.  They aren't seen very often anymore. The only downside is the lens of shooting glasses like Junkers, Knoblock etc...are small offer minimum protection from pierced primers etc...  You may be required to adjust any of them as you change positions, standing , prone etc..  Suggestions for old eyes, breathe a lot ( to keep oxygen flowing to your eyes), Blink at lot, don't stare at the target ( you will imprint the tgt in your eyes) and shoot within your 6-8 second envelope. Nothing replaces young eyes.
Kurt
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2012 at 12:41pm by Kurt_701 »  

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 6:36am
Print Post  
My Champions I have several lens. Small one was right for the smallbore prone rifle. Tried a larger one for offhand shooting not as good a result. And left eye had a bi focal clear lens with strong magnification on the left bottom to read sight settings.

Smallbore prone bull is well defined you don't need to see it well, strapped into the rifle it's always in the same place critical is seeing the front sight sharply defined. Nothing better than a special shooting glass for sharp front sights.

I shoot more Silhouette than anything else and need to not only see the front sight target is very important. Schuetzen I could get away with the Champions but shoot both Iron and Scope. Champions don't work at all with scopes.

For me now the Decot's are a better choice, with a small magnifier in my pocket for sight settings

Kurts blink don't stare advice is very good.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint