Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Would You....Buffington on Officers Model??? (Read 3913 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Would You....Buffington on Officers Model???
Oct 11th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I recently found and purchased a very nice condition Buffington Rear sight. These were used on 1884 and later Springfield Trap Door rifles.

Would you install it on an H&R Officers model reproduction? This rifle has only the tang sight currently. What was "period correct"? Did any of the officers models have rear barrel sights installed at the factory?

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Re: Would You....Buffington on Officers Model???
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Roy
What advantage would the Buffington give you over the sight on the gun? A good globe front sight and a quality tang sight makes a huge difference in that rifle.
Tom

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Here is the answer to your question.

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
No advantage over the tang sight, understood. I just think the rifle looks a bit naked without a barrel sight.......

I saw that Officers Model at the action site the other day. I was at Collectors Gun Shop in Houston a few weeks ago and they have an original Officers Model for $35,000.  Nice!

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Buffingtons are good sights, better if your eyes are sharp due to position on the barrel.  And correct for a Officers Model as they were all one off and built to specifications from the purchaser.

Before you change things around try the sight that's on the rifle. Mine did not have elevation graduations set it with a dial caliper. Once I had the sight table worked out it did well. Not a target sight but perfectly capable for plinking.  Mostly I shot mine Gallery indoors with very light loads. Once set for 25 yards never changed it.

Other thing is leave it factory will sell for much more when you re-sell.

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I owned one of the H&R commemorative O.M. TDs at one time.   before you get too involved with them better do some research and read up on them.  I was told that while they look interesting the repros are not up to snuff metalurgically speaking---- heat treat issues with the actions and blocks.  I shot mine a little with light cowboy action loads and found someone who wanted it a whole lot more than I did.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Thing about mine is so light anything but gallery loads were painful.   I guess when the originals were built they were intended to be carried all day shot once.

My Repo worked find but like you ended up selling it off. Good reason not to alter or sink more money into it.

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
they were custom rifles. I think they were allowed but not "issue"  kind of a "modern" version of the old flintlock era "officer's fusil's"   symbols like their fancy swords.   Or officers carrying M1-carbines in WW2.

My reading seems to indicate that they were replaced with full-sized rifles is serious need was actually anticipated

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

M-Tecs
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
The M1879 sight is the most correct.  The hole spacing is the same for the Buffington and the M1879.  Over on castboolits.com this issue is being discuss .  I would post a direct link but I am setting in a tree stand bow hunting and I do not know how to do it on my phone.  The H&R's have an issue with the cam lachet.  Simple fix.  That's also discuss on the cast boolit site.  If you cannot find it I post under the same name.  Search my posts. 
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:41pm by M-Tecs »  

IP Logged

M-Tecs
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Link to the discussion on castboolits (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have had an Officers Model since the 70’s. I really like it. I never had an issue with the cam latchet but I did drill and pin it about 10 years ago.. 

I did add an original M1879 carbine sight to mine.

For different options on repairs see links below.

This site some nice photos of an original officer model.

Some 1879 sights here (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The carbines and officers models are relatively light. My favorite plinking load for these is the Lyman 457124 385 grain bullet over 10 grains of Unique. It only goes 1050 fps and its very accurate and it is very pleasant to shoot. No filler required. 

My Dad was in a 7th Calvary reenactment group from 1969 to 1976. I cast and loaded about 20K of these for the club. I started casting and loading for the group when I was 9. 

Most kids had a 22 for a plinker . I had a 45/70 trapdoor. It was an original trapdoor carbine with an officer length Douglas barrel. It was reblued and the stock barrel channel had been opened to the heavier contour barrel when we purchased it but it was a real carbine stock and not a cut down rifles stock. It did have a Buffington rear sight. 

I put about 8K of the Lyman 457124 385 grain bullets over 10 grains of Unique through it before my Dad sold. I purchase the Officer Model in 1977.  I have about 6K thru it.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2012 at 11:00pm by M-Tecs »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint