Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Twist Rates (Read 10897 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Twist Rates
Reply #30 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Way I see it Silhouette the 38/70 or 38/56 is a better solution than my 38/55. Heavy bullet better knockdown.  Paper target matches to 600 yards the 38/55 is fine. It's not a bad choice for most shooters in Silhouette, give up a few rams for better Chicken performance offhand. No negative to the 38/55 on the Pigs and Turkeys.

Thing that's penalizing the 38's for long range is the Whittington center rule. Takes a very hot 38 to meet the spec.  I do want to avoid heavy kickers, cause they are detrimental to the Human side of performance, even if the ballistics on paper are better. 

We have guys that shoot our 200 yard Ram Bash & 600 yard Buffalo match, both offhand, that are better shooters than I am. Outscore them with my 38/55, there held back by a big hard kicking 45 caliber. You can see it spotting for them misses are flinches.  If you need hard hitting it's one thing if a lighter caliber will do the job it's always going to give better performance

Boats

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #31 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
boats I actually have spent time using the other CPA rifle with a 30" barrel in 32-40 working with black powder loads, started with Goex 3f BP just seeing how accurate it was, accuracy was just OK, but boy was the barrel dirty, looked like I was making charcoal in it, ended up with Swiss 2f and a 225gr tapered bullet seated way out, throat is cut by CPA for breech seating and has a long lead. The really bad fouling went away and rifle shot almost as well with BP as with its preferred smokeless load using that bullet, had to use a wet then a dry patch after every shot to keep it in the black shooting off the bench. My range has a practice day before our mid-range matches and in the spring will get a zero with the rifle I will use for the match 40-70SS, but then I will shoot some 32-40's at  600yd targets. I recently purchased  a tapered 235gr .323 custom cut Hoch mould that casts a bullet that looks suspiciously like the 40 caliber Snover bullet I use, it shoots very well breech seated but did not fare as well fixed, need to chronograph both bullets so I can have a idea of drop way out there. I did ask at the last match about shooting a 32-40 in the mid-range practice and they did not have a problem trying it at those distances, speaking of low recoil 32-40 would be it.
It will be interesting to see how it does in the wind. If it shoots well enough I may have Mr. Brooks cut me a 240gr+ 32 caliber bullet on his Super Snover design, if he will it should be short enough with the round nose to stabilize in the 1:14 twist Badger barrel. No good for BPCS no enough mass, but just might work in mid-range.
Just too many fun projects and not enough time, Mike

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:25pm by MIKE-T »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
When I put the scope on my 38/56 I also put a 7oz mercury recoil suppressor in the stock. Still makes the 15# weight rule and turns a mild-kicker into a pussycat. With the 365gr bullet being pushed by 58gr of 3F there is noticeable difference in recoil compared to the 335gr Postell with 58gr and especially with the 312gr Spitzer pushed by 56gr (chickens). It is interesting that the 312gr Spitzer holds 2moa at 200m and falls completely apart before 300m. 

A very accurate load in member Ringer's 38/55 C.Sharps 1885 High Wall with a 30" long Badger with 13" twist is the 335gr Postell. He can hold under 1.5moa at 300yd. If that holds up at 600yd would be a good ram round, I'm thinking. Of course, am not sure how fast it is going, which will have something to do with that. With my 38/56 it is going pretty fast, so have yet to ring a ram (other than the swinger  Wink). If I hit it, thus far it has gone down. However, that is on our 'eastern' variety of rams. I've been told that the 'western' variety of rams is heavier (as much as 15#s), so may not be as good out there. Guess I'll see if I venture to Raton in July, which is the plan.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2012 at 8:59am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint